JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

He was definitely studying. I dont know if he was baptized if so fantastic. He will be missed for sure. A friend of mine met him after a concert happened to be with the Brother from sly and the family stone. He went to a bit of an after party and was there while they jammed a bit. Can you imagine getting guitar lessons from him in the new system?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

This is sad, but death is a great equalizer. Thing is, his being one of Jehovah's Witnesses is brought up. Time and time again. He had a rough go of it, being in the entertainment business, but, at least he was thought well of, respected, and none but us, know of his real struggles. And, I do not shudder when they say he is one of us. Like some in the past.

He will have a chance to enjoy his musical gifts in balance in the new system. I sort of think, down deep, he was a simple person in a really complicated business. Rest, brother, until you are awoken...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Yes, I heard it too, today.  And absolutely no one can judge only Jehovah. All I know for absolute certainty is that he was a superb musician! 

There's a lot of talk (translate: rumors...probably baseless) about his standing in the congregation in the negative, but I'm  here to say that we don't know the truth no matter what anyone says!  Sooo, unless we hear it from Prince himself, and we know that's not going to happen at this moment, I think it's best if we just keep our lips shut about it, and ears closed about it. He'll tell us, if he wants to, when he wakes up. I'm seeing him as one of my brothers, and can hardly wait to see and hear him play praising Jehovah!

Edited by Luezette

3 hours ago, rocket said:

As I understand it, Prince studied the Truth with Larry Graham. I don't know what his status in the Congregation at the time of Death but it's Jesus job to judge anyway. The video above is from 1999. One can appreciate the changes he made in his life since then. 

On A video showing Prince, he said he was baptized in 2001.  So its been 15 years he has been serving Jehovah. 

Edited by allabord4jah

10 hours ago, zoebarry said:

I wonder if a Memorial will be held at his Kingdom Hall......

What a Witness it would be,  and can you imagine the mass of celebrities that would attend?

Praise Jehovah's name!

Unfortunately, this situation seems to be far from a grand opportunity to spread Kingdom truths. Instead, everybody with a name in the limelight is using this situation to exhibit themselves.

"his music will live on, and he will live through his music, so we want to keep him alive today with a song."

The music industry and the entertainment industry is so firmly in Satan's hand that, extremely rarely, is any form of proper witness possible to come out of it. One extremely rare exception I can think of is "Big Eyes", where sister Keane's coming into the truth and the fundamental importance of that phase of her life was well portrayed. But this was because she was very adamant about being in control of the entire film. Initially, she didn't want to be portrayed in a movie at all. This shows her humility first and foremost, an attribute that hinders you in that kind of industry.

So I agree, may Jehovah's name be praised, but I disagree that a memorial at his Kingdom Hall full of celebrities would be any more of a witness opportunity than, say, if an ordinary brother or sister beloved by neighbors, workmates and friends were to pass away and they come to the Kingdom Hall for a memorial service.

I say this because I really feel as a brotherhood we need to move away from the idea that it is somehow important that we have famous brothers and sisters, or that it is somehow more important that we reach celebrities with the Kingdom message.. The FDS continually reminds us not to be ambitious for fame in this system of things for ample reason, because striving for fame in this system automatically means moving away from Jehovah, no matter how hard you try. That is why we have hundreds of scientology celebrities and almost zero JW celebrities.

Very sad...

A couple of things, one just to pre-empt things....  can we keep this thread free from rumour? It is already starting in the mainstream press and itd be nice for us to leave it there.  It happens with any person in the public eye that dies.

And although this is sad , of course it is, i wassaddened and shocked when i heard yesterday., but its good for us to remember that any brother or sister that dies is sad , no one is more extra ordinary that anyone else, we are all loved by our heavenly father. 

Christina love to everyone 

gu 

In comparing Michael Jackson and Prince one thing I noted was that Michael Jackson left the Witnesses and his life seems to have gotten worse.  Prince started studying and associating with Witnesses and identified with the Witnesses and his life improved.  He was once known as the "bad boy of Rock and Roll" but improved his image greatly.

Of course, people outside the Witnesses don't see that type of thing.

Edited by Witness1970

I don't  want to create controversy here but I spoke with my CO today about Prince and he told me that he never got baptized.

Also the news below is bit strange,

Still sad news.

A bit more from that TMZ report that Prince was treated for a drug overdose in the days before his death...

"Multiple sources tell us, Prince was rushed to hospital and doctors gave him a "save shot" ... typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.

"Our sources further say doctors advised Prince to stay in the hospital for 24 hours. His people demanded a private room, and when they were told that wasn't possible ... Prince and co. decided to bail. The singer was released 3 hours after arriving and flew home. 

"We're told when Prince left he 'was not doing well'."

http://news.sky.com/story/1682978/live-updates-what-caused-princes-death

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

10 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Nice Article:

The comments below on the article "YIKES" those who "supposedly" loved and adored Prince - sigh!!!

Uh huh!  You can really see how much they loved and appreciated Prince...."NOT."

Lot of haters out there!!! I really appreciated some of our brothers and sisters that took defense, and were

right on...YES!!! But even more appreciated those who expressed it was time to take your leave!!!

Oh!  I wanted to post something about the NGO comment which a brother or sister from this

board commented on a while ago.   However,  after thinking how well that comment was researched,

I was NOT about to serve that gem of a comment to haters!  That would be reserved for anyone that

truly desired to be enlighten - preferably face to face.  So I took my leave!!!

(Matthew 10:14) Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words,

on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet.

(Matthew 7:6) “Do not give what is holy to dogs nor throw your pearls before swine,

so that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.

If there's a Memorial at Prince's hall, and a host of celebrities attend, I see a grand witness being given to Jehovah's name. Why? Because although we often see the Kingdom Hall, "our hall" the reality is that it is Jehovah's place of worshp, and that being so Jehovah can turn any event into a praise for his name! And none of us will be able to see the far reaching effect it will have.  Ever wonder what the real reason is why some celebrities bow out of the limelight? For good? Maybe they came in the truth? Who knows? So we'll see.

And as far as Prince not being baptized is concerned, unless we know him personally, no one can say definitely. 

And as far as the drugs are concerned, if that's true I'm looking at it as in anyone of us could have gotten involved too. It's no different.

Sooo, as was just commented, it looks as if the rumor mill is running and we need to stop! Prince the brother, not the singer, is dead. If we're going to concentrate on him then let's just concentrate on that part of him and not the celebrity aspect of his life. He was our brother! Also, may we pray for the comfort of his family and friends. 

Edited by Luezette

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

I don't  want to create controversy here but I spoke with my CO today about Prince and he told me that he never got baptized.

I know two local brothers who came into the truth through Larry Graham, and they were told by brother Graham that brother Nelson was baptized in 2001.

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

A bit more from that TMZ report

TMZ is not exactly known for their accuracy.

If the report is true, it will cause people to doubt brother Nelson's standing in the congregation, possibly speculating about his resurrection hope. And if the report is false, then spreading the report further is only perpetuating  a lie. So what benefit is there in repeating this?

Sooo, "the conclusion of the matter" is Bro. Prince" is dead, we don't really know what happened  (even after the autopsy reports are made because since Prince is a Jehovah's witness, even that can be slanted due to prejudice), he was a great musician, and etc, and etc. 

And while the world is mourning him, we are too. But thanks to Jehovah we have an advantage and that is, for one, while he's dead to us and them (his family/ friends/fans), he's alive to Jehovah. Thus, two, there's the resurrection hope where he'll play his guitar and sing praises to Jehovah everlastingly! 

That is what we need to concentrate on. Nothing else.

Edited by Luezette

My morning apt got canceled, so I happened to put on the tv. A supposed close (male) friend of Prince stated, "He always kept up the persona of 'Prince.' He could never just be Rogers Nelson. HUh? DEar supposed friend, his given at birth name is Prince Roger(s) Nelson.  http://prince.org/msg/7/165954

The name dilemma should be around his middle name. I understand his birth certificate says 'Roger,' but his father always wanted it to be Rogers, (typo on birth certificate.)

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

A bit more from that TMZ report that Prince was treated for a drug overdose in the days before his death...

"Multiple sources tell us, Prince was rushed to hospital and doctors gave him a "save shot" ... typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.

"Our sources further say doctors advised Prince to stay in the hospital for 24 hours. His people demanded a private room, and when they were told that wasn't possible ... Prince and co. decided to bail. The singer was released 3 hours after arriving and flew home. 

As we all know there are many opiate drugs that are legal by prescription. Needing double hip replacements, it is not a stretch of the imagination to understand that he took pain medications.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Also the news below is bit strange,

Still sad news.

I work in a hospital, I see more deaths for Tylenol overdoses than heroin (illegal) the news said he was suffering from the flu so it could have been any drug or their interactions.   Just saying. 

11 minutes ago, Elijahsmama said:

I work in a hospital, I see more deaths for Tylenol overdoses than heroin (illegal) the news said he was suffering from the flu so it could have been any drug or their interactions.   Just saying. 

Do they have "save shots" for Tylenol overdose? Tylenol+opiates?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.