JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Largest wild fire in For McMurray Alberta Canada

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2855 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Brother Aelon,

As sister Lucy posted above, we are so very thankful to Jehovah that all of you are safe, and will continue to pray for

you and others in the affected areas. 

At such times, we draw strength from Jehovah, “the God of all comfort.” (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4)

Edited by CyreJay

13 hours ago, jgsfrelancer said:

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

. . .

I have prepared images for everyone.  

Narrative VGvx8

What a spectacular narrative, Aelon! We really appreciate your taking the time to keep us up-to-date with what is happening, considering you are likely under a lot of stress at this time. Your account is told in a way that is better than any newspaper account we've been reading in this topic. We don't blame you for wanting to stear clear of your phone and internet. Please rest assured that we will continue praying for you and your family for as long as necessary, mahal kong kapatid. Pagpalain kayo nawa ni Jehova sa mapanganib na oras!

16 hours ago, jgsfrelancer said:

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

First of all, I am sorry for the late posting of this update. I have tried to avoid my phone and internet in the past few days. Anyway,  thank you a  million times for the outpouring concern and prayers for us who are directly affected by the fires and evacuation. 

I just read the whole thread today and realized I need to update you guys of what's going on. First things first, let me tell you the story/background of why I am here in Fort McMurray.

Four years ago, my parents lost their job in Quebec. It is a Frenchie province in Canada, of course we are not even fluent with English language, why worry about learning French, right? Brother W.  suggested to my family that Fort Mcmurray has a bigger needs. Well, Montreal  and big cities in Canada,  has needs too  but Fort McMurray is different since most of the Filipinos here are TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker), they are homesick, they are religious and they need that spiritual comfort. We also have that article that talks about stepping to Macedonia. After a few family worship discussion and prayers for guidance February 2011 my parents (+my siblings) decided to moved from Montreal to Fort McMurray. December 2012, I decided to visit my family. Few months later I decided to be with my family. First assignment in the congregation is to take care of the territory of the Tagalog Group. My Dad was an elder from Montreal Tagalog,  after few months, they recommended him to resume his privileges and serve as an Elder in the congregation and to take care of the group. A year later since my family's moved, congregation officially announced the formation of the Tagalog Group and we can have Sunday Meeting in the second hall. Around the same time, my  parents decided to purchased a house since it is  practically cheaper to purchase a house than living in an apartment.  And the service group is in our house which (which now is gone).

Few months after, we invited brothers to our house to stay and help us but nothing works out. The original brother who told my parents to come to Fort Mcmurray decided to  stay with us. Few months after, he decided to settle. Few CO visits later, there are now 3 Tagalog elders who will take care of the group. We  (as a group) slowly separated our meetings from the English Congregation.  Every CO visits since we moved, there was a steady increase of our territory which leads to my story this year.  First week of February, was our very first Tagalog Circuit Visit. Recommendations  were made and second week of May, the GB approved the formation of Wood Buffalo Tagalog Congregation to be effective May 1st.  

An eventful week followed.  

1st of May, the smoke was all over the city. After our bible study with my dad, we went home and saw this fire. Just a normal wildfire. It was only 2 miles (or 3 km) away from our house.

That day was supposed to be our very first mid-week meeting after becoming a congregation. 

I have prepared images for everyone.  

Narrative VGvx8

Aelon, not sure if you're keeping apprised of what has been released in terms of websites/applications, but I wanted to share this website which was released yesterday as it may offer you some closure.   

For those of you with very emotional natures, please take caution when looking at these photos.  Based on the pictures you had above, I typed in an address and pulled up the photos from that area.  

http://firemap.rmwb.ca/fire-report.html#8fa580727761319d979a6d1a0e6e6dfe

http://firemap.rmwb.ca/

Just so you know, we're literally working 24/7 to get you all back in your homes. Or as in your guys' case, to help source places you can rent/occupy in the interim.  I personally am working extra hours, as well as another 60 coming up this week.  I've been shifted to 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. shifts, from Saturday to Tuesday and I just finished a couple of days of the same.  

Re-entry is scheduled for June 1, 2016 as per news media release.  Ensure you guys follow the boil water advisory, cryptosporidium is the parasite that they're worried about as the water treatment plant was shut down and UV treatments to the water were not occurring.  

Again, message me if you need to.  If I don't have an answer, I can find out for you. 

Oh, and there's 'Town Halls' taking place, where you can call in, it's 1.5 hours long and you may be able to get real time answers from those who can give them. 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Sharon, I hope you can capture some information that will help the rest of us be prepared for a similar disaster if it ever occurs in our area. Please give us as summary of new things you learned.  Thx.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My take away from this.  LISTEN TO THE GB!  Be prepared to take flight.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20111201/coping-with-natural-disasters/

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc/build-an-emergency-kit

1. Practice during family study where and how you would exit your home in the event of fire, flood etc., have a system for knowing where all your family is. Many families (children at school, Mom/Dad at work) got separated and some had to go South, while others were going North.  Extra sets of keys for any vehicles.  This may save your life, as well as someone else's.  I would also suggest having a paper map, so you can find alternate routes and mark out where to meet.  

2. Obviously have a go bag, with it a listing of all medications you may be on, and any extras you might have.  Many people take medication, but can't recall the names or dosages, and with the pharmacy down, your records burned, you have to know what you're required to take.  Keep all personal documents in a fire safe, locked/carryall chest. Be ready to leave without a moment's notice.

3.Have a full tank of gas, many ran out on the way out of town.  

4. Limit the amount of pets you have (I have realized my pets are in a lot of danger, I have 2 kitties and 2 puppies and I have no idea what I'd do with them), I also have no crates for them.

5. Have insurance!  Some is better than none. 

6. TURN OFF YOUR GAS/ELECTRICITY IF YOU WERE COOKING - it's looking like a gas leak may have caused further explosions when the gas was turned back on, but investigations are still ongoing.

These are the main ones I've gleaned so far.  

Sharon, thank you. Why do we need extra car keys?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Sharon, thank you. Why do we need extra car keys?

Some families have two or more vehicles.  Example, my husband has a work vehicle and a personal vehicle, if I don't have either set, I can't take the car, nor can I give them to someone else who is also fleeing.  I'm thinking in terms of my next door neighbour who has a baby, but her husband is at work and she is vehicleless.  If I don't have room for her, she can at least drive one of my vehicles.  

Additionally, I live across the street from a daycare.... I could probably fit about 10-15 kids into a car, so long as we had another driver.

Thank you Brothers and Sisters. 

Today we just had a special meeting. The meeting is a very good reminder how Jehovah our God cares for us. We had visitors Bro Chad Heggs (if his name sounds familiar because you saw him from GSBN) and Rod Jeung. He gave a powerful and faith strengthening talk. Total of 300+ in local attendance  and 1700+ via live stream + there will be a rebroadcast later today.  This is what we got after the talk. 

large.5740d0a085f31_KeepsakefromBethel.png

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard any news about the brothers and sisters from Fort McMurray; whether any have come back to town yet, or when they will. Nor do I have any news about whether there is a scheduled date for resuming meetings and organized service groups. But here's a story in today's Fort McMurray Today that should give the brothers an idea of what they can talk about in service up there.

Our brothers and sisters can speak heavily toward psychosocial topics too.  Research shows that there is a rise in suicides, in substance abuse and risky behaviour when people have nothing left to lose :(.  Many in the world today already bear very debilitating depression and overwhelming sense of helplessness.  There will be a positive spin for awhile till reality sets in.  

I hope there are some sheep there.  It took me losing my Mom as a catalyst for my continuing to press onward searching for truth. 

That's a good point, Sharon. Thanks for mentioning that. Since the authorities are distributing those guides to the empty houses, maybe they've thought of the possible consequences that you mention and are addressing them. I hope it's not long before the brothers and sisters get the preaching work moving again (if they haven't already). Likely they will concentrate on offering comforting scriptures to people rather than literature, just like they did in New York City in the days and weeks following September 11, 2001. (I always thought Psalm 46 contained some good thoughts following a tragedy.)

Eric six brothers from the disaster relief committee went in yesterday to assess the KH and take stock of what needs to be done .....the KH only had slight smoke smell in the electrical room . Meetings will resume no doubt when those effected can come back . It's a lot more complicated than we can imagine , insurance claims to process  etc. 

Lon a side note this has caused a gas shortage and is now affecting gas stations across western Canada . A direct result of he fire.