JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Schools Prepare for Potential Shutdown

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2605 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Schools-prepare-for-potential-of-shutdown-378615641.html

This is a Topeka Kansas School District which apparently does not have enough  $$$ to stay open through the summer, a time when administrative duties may peak. The tasks include hiring teachers, updating school bus routes, maintaining and renovating buildings, preparing for a school lunch program (if one is offered), accomodating incoming Kindergarteners, and analyzing populations to see that grade levels are covered (in no particular order). A three month shut down could push back opening day and shorten the number of school days with students in attendance.  As I understand it, this is a Supreme Court decision and could change the face/place/pace of (mandatory?) public schooling.  

Schools have been hiring teachers with no training, no degree, and a high school diploma:

http://neatoday.org/2016/03/23/teacher-shortage-non-certified-teachers/

An excerpt from this article:

.......But it seems to be one the Alabama State Board of Education is willing to step on. In January, the board approved a controversial resolution to allow non-certified or adjunct teachers to teach in the state’s K-12 classrooms. While there are some restrictions – early childhood, elementary school and special education classes are off-limits – the requirements for candidates are fairly lax, namely a high school diploma or the equivalent and a clean background check.

2 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Schools have been hiring teachers with no training, no degree, and a high school diploma:

http://neatoday.org/2016/03/23/teacher-shortage-non-certified-teachers/

An excerpt from this article:

.......But it seems to be one the Alabama State Board of Education is willing to step on. In January, the board approved a controversial resolution to allow non-certified or adjunct teachers to teach in the state’s K-12 classrooms. While there are some restrictions – early childhood, elementary school and special education classes are off-limits – the requirements for candidates are fairly lax, namely a high school diploma or the equivalent and a clean background check.

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/education/new-adjunct-policy-allows-hiring-of-non-certified-teachers-in/article_d2c71338-c54a-11e5-9216-2f00e113af6b.html

A little more on hiring those with HS completion or equivalency.

People with land lines in our little village and its environs got phone calls last night to avoid the Central School District area from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm today due to shooting practice. (?) The shooting practice took all day and was a training for school staff on the protocol(s) to follow when there is gunfire or shooters in the school. :(  Sorry if I am posting school news in the wrong topic. YS

19 hours ago, kejedo said:

p.s. There is no requirement for the uncertified teacher to work at becoming certified, as long as they do not become full time or request benefits.

Things are coming to a sorry state in this instance!  Proves that mankind requires guidance in all facets of their lives.

Another case of gov 'to dollars at work.

10 hours ago, kejedo said:

Parents opt out of lengthy homework packets for elementary students:

http://www.scarymommy.com/elementary-school-wont-do-homework/

There's balance in everything. Some teachers in my school loved to pile on the homework, to the point that it might take 3 hours or more a night to complete it. My mother and other mothers stepped in and stopped it. We were in a rural area and we helped with chores at home. With that much homework there wasn't enough time for everything. Not to mention that as a kid, well, you know, we wanted some time to play! Every hour of work (of one sort or another)?

No thanks. Adulthood comes much too fast as it is.

A thought worthy you tube is shown about a student Jeff Bliss, who is telling his teacher that all she does is hand out packets and does not interact with students.  I have worked with many "packet" teachers that spend about 5 minutes per class passing out "packets" and collecting the previous day's packets. The teacher corrects the previously assigned packets during class time. The packet teachers I know of, also violated copyrights, by using other people's work. If I handed out an outline for my classes, it was something I had written and would be covering in class with q and a plus discussion. I think if you view Jeff Bliss it blends into a diff youtube of a teacher screaming at a student.

Edited by kejedo

In Florida they used to let HS grads with a diploma be a substitute teacher - then they changed that to be that minimum requirement for substitute was BA degree. They also upped the minimum for Principals to PHD.

Georgia allows HS diploma for teachers aid (they call them para-professional) and even provides benefits and retirement. (my SIL's sister just retired as one)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sis Pauline,

I will definitely be following this board - In my KH we have so many public

school teachers young and older ones!  Also one that own their own charter school.

Thank you so much for those links!  I will be sharing with my daughter.  I sent you a message!

Edited by CyreJay

• 3 weeks later...

No Child Left Behind has been replaced with Every Student Succeeds Act. Wonder how that's working out:

One small example -  In Florida,parents of third grade honor students are suing because their children are not being promoted to fourth grade. They have been assigned to repeat third grade, despite having already finished it with honor grades.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/08/12/parents-sue-when-third-grade-honors-students-are-not-promoted-to-fourth-grade/ 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:03 PM, kejedo said:

NY adolescent committed suicide rather than return to school

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-boy-13-kills-school-bullying-article-1.2749245

Family did not expect to have to bury their thirteen year old and are short on cash. A crowd-funding page gas been opened. This child was terrified to go back to school.

Edited by kejedo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3225527/Texas-teacher-Tanya-Ramirez-accused-having-sex-17-year-old-male-student-charged-having-sex-student.html

This (no longer) thirty something Texas teacher- Tanya Ramirez- is suing the mother of the 17 year old male student in her school that the teacher admits having had sexual relations with . Ms Ramirez feels her rights were violated  b/c the 17 y/o took a 10 second video of their tryst and it was viewed by others. I just happened to see a snippet of this on TV.  Even thought the case was two years ago, Mrs. Ramirez is currently pursuing a case against the teenage boy's mother. SMH This is just too common.

Edited by kejedo

I am looking for a free downloadable planner for some home school (JW) families that I am (free) tutoring.  I am suggesting a wider variety of subjects than most accommodate.

Here is the subject line up I am suggesting. Some subject work will earn 1/4 to 1/2 credit. The rest will be Full Credit Courses.

LA Reading

LA writing and grammar

Earth and Space Science with labs

Math: Working with numbers, complete computation review

State of NY

Ethics

United States History

P.E.

Computer

Languages and cultures

Music

5 minutes ago, Alexa said:

http://www.freehomeschooldeals.com/

Sent from my WV8-L using Tapatalk

Thanks, I think I found one before, but gave it away. One young lady is going into eleventh. I only got on board with her at the fourth quarter of tenth, and do not know what the school has accepted for credits.  I want to make sure she covers all bases. The school will not release their records, and she has moved in with her aunt.  Sadly, her mother is not available to help with this young lady's academic history.