JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Disgusting Foods

12 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Better yet, how about food manufacturers using crushed bugs to color processed food? :sick:  Then calling it a natural ingredient on the label? (td)

Is this what you are referring to?

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes (pictured) and dissolved in ethanol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze and wood finish.

Shellac, edible, is used as a glazing agent on pills (see excipients) and sweets, in the form of pharmaceutical glaze (or, confectioner's glaze). Because of its acidic properties (resisting stomach acids), shellac-coated pills may be used for a timed enteric or colonic release.[16] Shellac is used as a 'wax' coating on citrus fruit to prolong its shelf/storage life. It is also used to replace the natural wax of the apple, which is removed during the cleaning process.[17] When used for this purpose, it has the food additive E number E904.

Shellac coating applied with either a standard or modified Huon-Stuehrer nozzle, can be economically micro-sprayed onto various smooth sweets, such as chocolate coated peanuts. Irregularities on the surface of the product being sprayed typically result in the formation of unsightly aggregates ("lac-aggs") which precludes the use of this technique on foods such as walnuts or raisins (however, chocolate-coated raisins being smooth surfaced, are able to be sprayed successfully using a modified Huon-Stuehrer nozzle).

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I always find it interesting that some point to products as being used for some sort of non-food commercial product and also being used in food as though that is necessarily bad.

One such product that comes to mind is vegetable dye. It is used to dye carpet, among other things. It is also used as food coloring. After all it is vegetable dye and is safe in food the fact that it is also used to dye carpet does not change the fact it is a food.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, MizPeg said:

yeah, a little protein never hurt anyone.  :-)

Does this mean that after Armageddon that I might accidentally eat meat when i eat my fruit and vegetables? :eek:

:popcorn:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Does this mean that after Armageddon that I might accidentally eat meat when i eat my fruit and vegetables? :eek:

:popcorn:

as long as the fruit or veggie is host to a pro-creating insect, I suppose.

When I shared that tidbit of trivia with a sister she went ballistic, as figs would no longer be her favorite!

I personally have no problem, but "out of sight, out of mind", is good.

8 hours ago, MizPeg said:

as long as the fruit or veggie is host to a pro-creating insect, I suppose

I'm hanging out with John the Baptist in the new system...guess what we're having for dinner...?

Edited by Precision

as long as the fruit or veggie is host to a pro-creating insect, I suppose.

When I shared that tidbit of trivia with a sister she went ballistic, as figs would no longer be her favorite!

What does the bible say about figs, though? Remember that the author of the bible also made the figs and the fig wasp...

“This is what Jehovah the God of Israel says, ‘Like these good figs, so I will regard in a good way the exiles of Judah.’” (Jeremiah 24:5)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

It's all good, right?    Just because our "sensitive sensibilities" aren't keen on a food or the way it's prepared, that doesn't make something disgusting, does it?  Billions of people around the world eat very different food to what I do... and there is even more food likely none of us have tried.  It's all good.

Even bugs. :D  It's interesting to read that about figs but I'm still gonna love them.  Who's to say it's not the wasp that makes it taste like it does?

It's all good, right?    Just because our "sensitive sensibilities" aren't keen on a food or the way it's prepared, that doesn't make something disgusting, does it?  Billions of people around the world eat very different food to what I do... and there is even more food likely none of us have tried.  It's all good.

Even bugs.   It's interesting to read that about figs but I'm still gonna love them.  Who's to say it's not the wasp that makes it taste like it does?

To tell you the truth, without the wasp there would be no figs. The mother wasp AND all the male wasps all lie mummified in that fig, and they make up what it is, sweetness and all. But, could you say it's suitable for vegetarians/vegans?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

One cup of Earl Grey with lemon please....:tea:

One cup of Irish breakfast tea with cream and sugar...