JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Unable to open JW Library in Windows 10

It started when I tried to install JW Library on my 2nd PC but the app failed to start, and later did I know that my Microsoft account was synced automatically. So when I opened the same application on my 1st PC, the app that I had been using for a long time had already failed to open too. BTW, I've been using windows 10. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the app so many times, and even using other accounts, but to no avail. Please help me figure out this one. this is very important for me. Thank you.

I had to repeat installing the update twice, one file didn't download.  I took over 2 hours to install.

JW Library should work on all versions of Windows 10, the original or the latest build.

Something to try, after you uninstall the app go this folder (you will need to enable show hidden files)

C:\Users\ <your username> \AppData\Local\Packages\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_5rz59y55nfz3e

If the folder still exists, delete the folder and contents.

I have Windows 10 Home Edition. I was just updated to Version 1607 OS Build 14393.187

The JW Library App and the JW Library on DVD were working just fine before any updates. The JW Library App recently updated to Version 8.0.5.5639 (the version with the new home page).

Both libraries are still working just fine - I have not had any problems.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I was doing my homework for the meeting  and rehearsing my Initial Call demonstration for Teach The Truth, using my Acer Iconia Tab 8 with Windows 10 last night. All was fine for the couple of hours I spent on it. 

Today I turned it on for a final run through my demonstration again(access 1 Peter 5:7 and then the video) I tapped on the JW Library app/tile and the screen flashed briefly then returned to the tab desktop screen with the tiles.

I cannot access my downloaded JW Library from either the desktop tile/icon/charm or on the apps list that pops up from the start button. The app no longer connects to the files downloaded. 

I uninstalled the program and downloaded it again, but to no avail - same problem. I see the videos in file explorer and see the apps on the start screen, but they don't connect to anything any more. Help!

Have you tried going into the MS Store and checking for updates to the app? I know you just reinstalled it, but for some reason this worked on a sister's laptop. I reinstalled the app and then let it search for an update, which it found! After the update, it worked fine again. It's worth a try :)

Edited by Musky

I went to the app store and it said that I already had it installed and asked if I wished to run it.

I have uninstalled it again and will re-install it again.

It said I had installed it so I pressed the 'open' box and it just flashed up the white screen with JW library in the purple tile in the middle, then it just flashed off and I am back on my desktop and the app shows in the list, but again no access and no access to anything to see any updates. The only options shown when I click on the icon in the list is to pin it to the start or taskbar or to uninstall it - no asking after updates there either??

Is this for Windows 10 because that is all up to date?

JW app I cannot access anything behind that downloaded icon/tile and the MS Store for Windows doesn't have a drop-down menu where JW app download is, just the download instructions and the Get the App button??

Edited by retroHelen

If you open the ms store app, then click on the menu at the top left, it will open. Then if you choose "downloads and updates" you will be taken to a screen that has a "check for updates" button. This checks to see if there are any updates available for ALL your apps. Including the jw Library app.

My JW Library app on my Surface 3 running Windows 10 Anniversary Update is working just fine.

I would like to point out that the branch just pushed a major update, and JW Library has received a major visual overhaul. It's very nice, but a departure from what we are used to. It might be that there is something buggy about the new update that is not working across all Windows 10 devices.

I would try removing the app, restarting the computer, then visiting the Store and reinstalling it. Whenever my Surface is not on it's best behavior, a restart seems to fix things for me.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Well, I'm awake now - "Wide eyed and bushy tailed" as they say round here!

Yey! went on ms store and updated all the apps, restarted everything and yes we are back in action ready for the meeting tomorrow and my demonstration. Major headache over!

Yes JW Library looks different -in fact, much better - so I downloaded all my publications and videos again and all is good!(:P) 

Thank you. 

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I want to "reopen" this thread with the same issue.

We have in our complex 4 PCs with Windows 10 (Build 15063.296). All PCs have 8GB RAM, AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 1.50 GHz.

The app JW Library is fresh installed from the Store. After installing the App, I can't start it - the JW-Logo comes and after a short time it force closes without an error.

I've done all the things like deleting the folder, set permissions, istalled it as Administrator, clear all settings/cache - nothing helps. The App is unuseable and we 4 admins are not able to fix this problem on 4 PCs.

I've tested installation of other apps like Spotify and Kicker (Germans sport-magazine) and all the apps are working, but JW Library does not want.

So I hope to get any other hints and help as the describerd here (and please don't say istall Windows again) from this forum.

Edited by schickel

typo

9 hours ago, schickel said:

Hi,

I want to "reopen" this thread with the same issue.

We have in our complex 4 PCs with Windows 10 (Build 15063.296). All PCs have 8GB RAM, AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 1.50 GHz.

The app JW Library is fresh installed from the Store. After installing the App, I can't start it - the JW-Logo comes and after a short time it force closes without an error.

I've done all the things like deleting the folder, set permissions, istalled it as Administrator, clear all settings/cache - nothing helps. The App is unuseable and we 4 admins are not able to fix this problem on 4 PCs.

I've tested installation of other apps like Spotify and Kicker (Germans sport-magazine) and all the apps are working, but JW Library does not want.

So I hope to get any other hints and help as the describerd here (and please don't say istall Windows again) from this forum.

Can't help, sorry. I too have problems with JWLibray on my Windows 10 PC. It actually works a little, very little. It boots so slow that it is faster to go get my Ipad out where I can find what I need while JWLibrary is still loading. It works eventually, but has proven to be of little value, compared to WT Library on the same PC.

I assume our Brothers will fix this when they get time. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 26.6.2017 at 8:54 PM, Musky said:

I don't see in the things you've tried, if you have uninstalled the Library app and installed a fresh copy? You might try that if you haven't already. 

Of course I uninstalled the app, and this more then one or two times and this on all 4 PCs. It's really disappointing, because we need to use this app.