JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Songbook: "Sing Out Joyfully" to Jehovah

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2386 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

42 minutes ago, jwhess said:

My Canon printer has these choices in the print menu.  It lists them as "booklet" for the 2-to-a-page and "duplex" for double sided.  The print is too small for me to read.  The description I made earlier about this being 1 inch thick is the result when I DID run the print on both sides of the paper (about 150 sheets double-sided).  It was standard 20 pound bond 95 bright office printer paper.

So heavy. Looks like I will have to use an electronic copy for the meetings.

I printed out the former new songs 136-154 for a sister using lyrics only with 2 pages to a sheet and the font was still quite large.

I guess you need the lead sheet while you are singing.

What is the difference between Immovable and Unmovable?

The JWpub has been fixed, now down to 6mb from 64mb, the jpegs removed.  Also the Nov WT now updated, includes links to new songbook.

Would it be wrong to use the new renditions of The Kingdom-Let It Come and Preaching to All Sorts of People at the meetings now?  I could so easily retagged and rename them to fit in with the Sing to Jehovah music files.

3 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

So heavy. Looks like I will have to use an electronic copy for the meetings.  I guess you need the lead sheet while you are singing.

Br. Chew,  as the congregation literature servant, I count the tracts by size.  The instructions from the Society are 1 inch stack = 300 sheets.  So if they used thin paper (like our Memorial invitations) they could get the songbook to a little over 1/2 inch depending on cover thickness.  In any case it will be a third thicker than our old songbook which had about 200 pages (100 pages double-sided).

3 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

What is the difference between Immovable and Unmovable?

The JWpub has been fixed, now down to 6mb from 64mb, the jpegs removed.  Also the Nov WT now updated, includes links to new songbook.

Would it be wrong to use the new renditions of The Kingdom-Let It Come and Preaching to All Sorts of People at the meetings now?  I could so easily retagged and rename them to fit in with the Sing to Jehovah music files.

What is the Jpub file?

10 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

The JW Library version includes jpegs of all the songs sheets.  57mb worth!  Not sure why, it functions without them.

Again, I ask what JW Library version?

So excited about the new song book. Its like almost all songs have been changed to go with the classification at the beginning of the song book.  I am yet to go through all of it and listen to the mp3 music too.  Enjoying all the inputs from the friends above on the changes noticed.  Wonder when we shall start using it at the meetings.  

As for your eyes, straight ahead they should look, yes, your own beaming eyes should gaze straight in front of you - Prov. 4:25

Yeah thank you for all the changes that you've all noted. Can't wait to go through and get familiar with this new songbook of ours. This will probably be the songbook we'll be using right up to the great tribulation! My favourites are all there still aswell which is good, just need to see if they've changed slightly. 

Will the videos with lyrics be available for all to download, or just for those who need access to them for the Kingdom Hall?  It has been suggest to practice the songs during Family Worship.  Having the words on your TV screen at home will make it more fun to practice the songs at home during FW, especially for the little ones (and the young at heart!).

56 minutes ago, mserskine said:

What is the Jpub file?

Again, I ask what JW Library version?

The JWpub is the file used by JW Library.  I meant that file as opposed to the PDF or Epub files.  It had a lot of extra data files that made it so big, but it has been fixed now and back to its proper size.

3 minutes ago, TobyB said:

don't know song 129 "we will keep enduring", melody is new for me, and the title is not found in old songbook......please help :-)

That is the new number of new song 154, the very last of the new songs. We will sing it in December. Our CO used it as the closing song after his final talk during his visit last week. It has a very pretty melody.

21 minutes ago, Trey said:

JWPUB is the file format for JW Library files. 

https://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=&output=html&pub=sjj

Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like the jwpub file is a zip file.

It contains another zip file called contents.

Then Contents zip file contains all the songs in svg (scalable vector graphics) format.

No wonder the songs on JW Library with music notation displays so well on a large screen device as its in a vector format.

Any notice that songs like 27 (151) went from 2 pages to 4 pages? Also seen other instances of songs going from 2 pages to 3 pages. I guess the feature from Sing to Jehovah where you won't have to flip pages won't be used in this book.

The spacing is for languages like Greenlandic, where words can be very long and make up a whole sentence. Like this: Paasisinnaannginnakkummi (means, I don't understand).

Song 21 (40) is not changed

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Song 22 (136) has not changed but now has a full piano score.

Also, the orchestral arrangement is slightly altered.

Song 23 (30) is not changed.

Song 24 (107) has had some minor changes to the lyrics.

Song 25 (147) has not changed, except it now has a fine piano score.

Song 26 (146) has not changed, but had been given a nice piano score.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

At past Conventions, we were encouraged to memorize our Kingdom Songs.

So I did.  I've got about 30 of them memorized, now.  I was tremendously relieved

to see that many of the songs and lyrics in our new books remain unchanged.

Some, like #5 God's Wondrous Works, (Formerly #110) have only minor lyric changes, which will, I'm sure,

cause me to flub up a few times, til I can re-memorize the songs with these little changes.

5 God’s Wondrous Works

(Psalm 139)

1. O God, you know my rest and waking,

When I lie down and when I rise anew.

You search my thoughts, my inmost inclination, (used to be just thought)

The words I speak, the ways I walk,

you know them too.

You saw when I was made in secret,

My very bones not hidden from your sight.

You saw my form; its parts were down in writing.

I love the wonder of your ways

and praise your might.  (used to be I praise the wonder of your ways, extol your might.)

Your knowledge, God, is wondrous, awe-inspiring; (used to be fear-inspiring)

Of this my soul is very well-aware.

If I should fear that darkness might enfold me,

Your spirit, God, would find me, even there.

Where could I hide from you, Jehovah,

Or be concealed, be hidden from your face?

Not in the Grave nor in the highest heaven, (Used to be Not in the heights, nor in the depth of Sheol)

Not in the dark nor in the sea;

there is no place.

By the way, that 'nor in the highest heaven' lyric change

reminded me 

of that part in that novel "All Things New" By Brother Erik K. Jonathan,

where, at Armageddon, Jehovah's avenging angel even visits the International Space Station,

and that one astronaut is spared.^_^

"All Things New"

It's going to be difficult to re-memorize all those lyrics, but not impossible...hopefully.:D

(I still want to sing the old lyrics to 'From House to House' and 'The Lord's Evening Meal'.

And, my mind still conjures up the lyrics to Shulamite Maiden, every time that certain melody is played...

you know the one.YES Grin.GIF )

I see they've kept that old melody going in the new songbooks...with yet newer lyrics and a newer title?

I fear it will always be The Shulamite Maiden...in the recesses of my feeble old mind.Laughing SnickeringDoggy.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I always sang "thoughts" during that phrase, anyway... "t" cut the note off too harshly, imo. :D  Also "fear-inspiring" rolls off the tongue more smoothly than "awe-inspiring"; it's a bit technically challenging to flow two words together that begin with vowels.  As for the rest of it - I'm with you; I know that song by heart and I think I rather prefer the more poetic use of words in the former verses (even though I knew "Sheol" would probably go by the wayside).  I STILL sing some words from the 1984 book at times on different tunes.  I memorize songs HARD!!! :P

The new numbering will be a challenge, too.  I know a LOT of songs by number... even going back to the Pink book.

Ah, well -- the only constant is change, eh?  

Edited by Hope

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Sorry for the messed up post.  The 'Post Preview' feature is missing on my desktop version of JWTalk.cry 6.GIF  

It's now a button in the editor, currently the second from the last one on the right.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

And, my mind still conjures up the lyrics to Shulamite Maiden, every time that certain melody is played...

you know the one.YES Grin.GIF )

I fear it will always be The Shulamite Maiden...in the recesses of my feeble old mind.

Dear Shulammite maiden, so lovely and fair,
Your spiritual virtues are many and rare.
Your speaking is pleasant, your charms a delight.
Your fellowship holds me, beloved Shulammite.

4 minutes ago, Skye said:

Dear Shulammite maiden, so lovely and fair,
Your spiritual virtues are many and rare.
Your speaking is pleasant, your charms a delight.
Your fellowship holds me, beloved Shulammite.

Long, many years ago (probably 1980-81), a brother taught a group of friends in my congregation to sing all the harmony parts of this for a sister's wedding.  I do still sing the alto part, even though the words are completely changed.  It's a sweet tune!  :wub:

Song 104 just coming up for me to listen to - one of the loveliest melodies we have... I'm SO glad it's still there. It's beautiful to sing and the lyrics are so powerful.. 
https://www.jw.org/.../sing.../104-gods-gift-of-holy-spirit/