JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sing to Jehovah/"Sing Out Joyfully" to Jehovah Songbook Comparisons

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2745 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

View File

This is a comprehensive list of adjustments to our Kingdom songs in their transition from our 2009 songbook "Sing to Jehovah" and our new songbook "'Sing Out Joyfully' to Jehovah."

View File
This is a comprehensive list of adjustments to our Kingdom songs in their transition from our 2009 songbook "Sing to Jehovah" and our new songbook "'Sing Out Joyfully' to Jehovah."

Thank you brother jscotchie :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

Sing to Jehovah Song 134—See Yourself When All Is New Chorus:
• “Jehovah our God, how  well you have done!”

Sing Out Joyfully to Jehovah Song 134—See Yourself When All Is New  Chorus:
• “We thank you, our God, for all you have done”

I'm going to have to do some fervent praying for the proper attitude.  

Because, right now, I just want to cry.Sigh.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

53 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I'm going to have to do some fervent praying for the proper attitude.  

Because, right now, I just want to cry.Sigh.gif

Oh my goodnesd, ditto. :(   The very action of singing "ho" on the highest, most powerful note added praise and pride and triumph to that phrase.  It was my favorite part of the song.

The new verse seems to make His involvement incidental-  like He was just doing us a favor.  

Unhappy...

Edited by Hope

To say the least Uani! -_-

Then too, for one particular song I've long memorized and been singing since I was a little girl, I cannot imagine changing the beautiful lyrics of "Jehovah is My Shepard!" I've sung these comforting words in my mind, in my heart through many of my trials and tribulations over the years.  (I don't want to sound unappreciative but this is not going to be easy for me. Not at all.)

Sigh...I'm still singing the old lyrics of "God's Promise of Paradise." (This old mind may not be able to memorize the new lyrics anytime soon.) 

I think we should just give the new songbook some time. Like everything the slave has ever dished out, we will see benefits we didn't anticipate eventually. I for one still cherish many songs from Sing Praises to Jehovah. The songs bring back memories of singing with a crowd of thousands as a little boy with my parents and feeling so safe surrounded by a large family. I still have the book and sing the songs with my guitar often.
I remember grumbling when Sing to Jehovah was announced and I heard He Will Call sung very poorly by some friends from bethel for the first time on a recording. Now it's one of my favorites. As is "He Will Make Strong".
I believe Jehovah provides just what we need when we need it. So, I'll just trust He knows where he's going with this new songbook and wait for the rewards to surprise me.

Yes, some expressions will take a lot of getting used to. I'm not a fan of the adjustment to song 134 either unfortunately. Over time, though, I'm sure we'll get used to it.

If anybody notices any changes I missed (and I'm sure there are some!), don't hesitate to tell me. I'll update my personal file and then upload a new version to reflect those changes :) 

I look forward to the changes every day.  I am excited by the news of progressive learning and clarity.  I know this means the "chariot of God's Kingdom" is on the move.  If it was the same decade after decade I would begin to wonder about the heavenly direction.  Daniel wanted to know everything but Jehovah told him that it would be made clear to us in the time of the end.  We are comforted by the change, progress and expansion as another sign of the 'Tellic End'.   I began singing after the Red songbook was replaced by the Green one.  I have continued singing through six more revisions.  I miss some old favorites and cherish memories of singing in Yankee Stadium in 1958.  However, I cherish the thought of singing even newer songs of God's Praise in the New World.  I will end that song with a fervent AMEN and then i hope to hear Jehovah's "Well Done" (for my life's work not my singing).

Yes, some expressions will take a lot of getting used to. I'm not a fan of the adjustment to song 134 either unfortunately. Over time, though, I'm sure we'll get used to it.

If anybody notices any changes I missed (and I'm sure there are some!), don't hesitate to tell me. I'll update my personal file and then upload a new version to reflect those changes  

There is a good reason for the adjustment to that song, when you think about it. When it comes to our kingdom songs or our bible, being correct is more important than artistic license.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

There is a good reason for the adjustment to that song, when you think about it. When it comes to our kingdom songs or our bible, being correct is more important than artistic license.

____

What's more correct about "We thank you our God for all you have done" than "Jehovah, our God, how well you have done"?

42 minutes ago, jscotchie said:

What's more correct about "We thank you our God for all you have done" than "Jehovah, our God, how well you have done"?

To me that line has always sounded like saying "Good job Jehovah" To me it seems more appropriate to thank Jehovah for what he has done, than to tell him that he's done good. Because that's a given. He knows, everyone knows... But of course I might be wrong about the reason for the change.

I admit I also prefer the old line. There are many changes where I prefer the old version. (Same with the new Bible)

But, as has been mentioned, there must be a good reason.

2 hours ago, jscotchie said:

When they first announced they were going to re word some of the songs in "Sing to Jehovah", brother Splane explained it was because of the wording of the revised NWT. How that came into play with the re wording of this song I'm not sure.

The way I understand it, 'how well you have done' is an expression you use for, for example a child who has done something good. It's likely more appropriate to humbly thank Jehovah for what he has done, don't you think?

Some of these changes that have been made are also meant to reflect a refined understanding, not just to reflect the words in nwt.

____

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

22 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Then too, for one particular song I've long memorized and been singing since I was a little girl, I cannot imagine changing the beautiful lyrics of "Jehovah is My Shepard!" I've sung these comforting words in my mind, in my heart through many of my trials and tribulations over the years.  (I don't want to sound unappreciative but this is not going to be easy for me. Not at all.

Guess what closing song we sang today?! :D I sung loud and proud!

On 10/15/2016 at 2:11 PM, Omo_Yeme said:

To say the least Uani! -_-

Then too, for one particular song I've long memorized and been singing since I was a little girl, I cannot imagine changing the beautiful lyrics of "Jehovah is My Shepard!" I've sung these comforting words in my mind, in my heart through many of my trials and tribulations over the years.  (I don't want to sound unappreciative but this is not going to be easy for me. Not at all.)

Sigh...I'm still singing the old lyrics of "God's Promise of Paradise." (This old mind may not be able to memorize the new lyrics anytime soon.) 

Yah - that's definitely one for me, too. :(  I mean -- it's a PRAYER to Jehovah, from Psalms!  To sing it basically as it was written was like "reading in an undertone" for me... so comforting.  

Well, it's not like I'm going to forget lyrics I've been singing for 38 years... they're still in my heart.  I'll just have to be sure not to sing the "wrong" words when this one comes up in the future.