JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Church of England scrapping Sunday Service Law

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2716 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/europe/church-of-england-sunday-services-trnd/index.html

"Canon laws, which have been in the books for centuries, require churches to hold services every Sunday. ".........

"So the Church of England is now thinking of scrapping that law ."............

"Earlier this year the Church published its 2014 attendance statistics which revealed there was a 12% decline in attendance over the decade and that only 2% of England's population attended services." ........

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

It was interesting that a well known BBC radio DJ was discussing a letter from a person who had just moved to a new area and wanted to feel part of the community and not get lonely.

He suggested that lonely people go to church - "Don't worry," he said " They hardly ever discuss Bible, God or Jesus these days, you can go for the social life and charity work and not believe anything - I always go to church when I am back in my home town and not in London, it's fun and I can help out with lots of charity stuff and they get me judging and giving prizes for all sorts of events that aren't religious."

That about sums up church life here now. Most people don't have a Bible who say they are members of a church and don't know what your talking about when you refer to the Lord's Prayer or Bible characters. The  only mention of Jesus is when they are singing in some of the services - but many go to all the other 'social club' things going on at church, but not the services on Sunday..

Church of England, as well as other churches, have been pestering the government for extra money claiming that the churches are National Heritage Monuments - some over a thousand years old - that need to be maintained and they can't fund the constant repairs because of falling membership, but the government is struggling to keep up or are closing public buildings, museums, libraries, parks and other facilities in every town as it is, so they won't get anything of the government. 

Favourite programs about house restoration and 'country living' like to show people what can be done to convert all the small country churches and chapels that have become available for demolishing or conversion to residential homes in the UK.

I know where I live, you can't swing a dead cat without someone who claims to be a youth pastor or deacon in their church, it will be a rude awakening and a financial disaster for many whe BTG bites the dust!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

With all this going on in Christendom, there are still people seeking to understand the Bible. This past Saturday a young man in our territory come to the door with Bible in hand.  He said he was trying to understand the Bible but was in great need of help.  (Anyone see a Bible Study in this yet)  So the brothers calmed him down and helped him with his immediate needs and made arrangements to come back to help him further.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

6 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So after BTG is destroyed, the merchants etc will be weeping because now how are they going to organise their community fairs and play bingo?

No doubt the merchants, in their desperation, will create an app for that!  :pinch: