JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Supermarket stocks shelves with dumpster-destined food

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2718 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/supermarket-stocks-shelves-with-dumpster-destined-food/

sad this would never happen hear in the USA 

NOVEMBER 12, 2016, 7:01 PM| Food waste is an environmental crisis. The Department of Agriculture says more than 130 billion pounds of food are tossed out every year in the U.S. As Teri Okita reports, a unique supermarket in Britain stocks its shelves with food destined for the dumpster.

Why? Laws?

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

yes Laws 

What type of laws? In Europe they can stock anything that's still fresh, but the downside is that people will not buy 'ugly' vegetables, so they tend to end up in the dumpster.

____

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

i dont know no all i do know is that there are laws in place and you need prements and 
they dont want law suits. 

Yeah, I know some businesses are overly concerned about lawsuits. It's sad when it prevents good food from coming out on the market.

____

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

In the USA there are stores all over the country such as Big Lots and Ollie's that do sell food stuff that would have been destined for the dumpster. There's even a push now for "ugly" fruit and vegetables to be sold in stores. Whole Foods is one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NOVEMBER 12, 2016, 7:01 PM| Food waste is an environmental crisis. The Department of Agriculture says more than 130 billion pounds of food are tossed out every year in the U.S. As Teri Okita reports, a unique supermarket in Britain stocks its shelves with food destined for the dumpster.

The world wastes $400 billion in food every year
UN says solving food crisis could cost $30 billion

Remember all this the next time you hear a discussion about food shortages or overpopulation.  The world is not over populated.  World hunger is not caused by lack of food.  The world wastes over $400 billion annually in food.  The UN said world hunger could be solved with only $30 billion.  Those starving people could be fed 3 times with the amount of food wasted every year.  

Yes, laws are a big factor.  Some of those are health and safety laws.  If you take food back to the grocery store, for example, it's probably gong to be thrown out because they can't sell it again.  The fear is the food was tampered with.  

Look at all the food wasted at restaurants every year.  Food left on the table.  Food sent back to the kitchen because it wasn't cooked right.  All that food is wasted or thrown away because of laws.  Add that to the larger portions that people get in restaurants, especially in the US, and you can see how much food is going to waste.

Edited by Shawnster