JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

9 of the 10 commandments up for sale.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2688 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

45579bd5b5b0e068c10e1fdf846e201c.jpg

The stone is presented by Heritage Auctions in the properties of the Living Torah Museum Auction, and will be auctioned in Beverly Hills, California. It is believed to have been carved sometime between 300 and 500 CE, and is assumed to be from a synagogue that was either destroyed by Romans between 400 and 600 CE or by 11th-century crusaders.

It is described as a square, white marble slab, weighing roughly 115 lbs. and inscribed with 20 lines of text. Each line contains between 11 and 15 characters of Paleo-Hebrew, or Samaritan, dialect.

Nine of the 10 commonly-known Commandments from the book of Exodus adorn the stone, but it swaps “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain,” for a Samaritan commandment that worshippers “raise up a temple” on Mount Gerizim, which served as the holy mountain for the Samaritans.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/10/25/got-250000-earliest-known-10-commandments-inscription-up-for-auction.html

http://www.livescience.com/56754-ten-commandments-stone-tablets-auction.html

____

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

This is very cool,  I love it when things like this are found. Can you even begin to imagine this stones travels through the years,  where it's been,  how many thousands of people have read its message. .it is somewhat amazing that it has survived the years,  it would be handled and moved,  I wonder what it was like for the first guy to drop it? The stone survived,  did he? How many rooms has it been in,  how was it displayed,  or hidden?

Thank you for sharing. ...

This is very cool,  I love it when things like this are found. Can you even begin to imagine this stones travels through the years,  where it's been,  how many thousands of people have read its message. .it is somewhat amazing that it has survived the years,  it would be handled and moved,  I wonder what it was like for the first guy to drop it? The stone survived,  did he? How many rooms has it been in,  how was it displayed,  or hidden?

Thank you for sharing. ...

You're welcome. When I see things like this I think the same as you. It's also interesting that the carver switched out the commandment about Gods name and replaced it with one about a temple on Mt Gerizim. Leads me to think about what made the Samaritans fall from true worship. And that Jesus considered them no worse than the religious leaders in the Jewish faith.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”