JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Trump's battle against illegal immigrant sanctuary may end at church steps

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2702 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

President-elect Donald Trump is vowing to block federal funding to Sanctuary cities, but the incoming commander-in-chief may find it tougher to take on another powerful protecter of illegal immigrants -- sanctuary churches.

Hundreds of houses of worship around the nation have pledged to provide safe harbor to illegal immigrants facing deportation, as have cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and New York City. While Trump may relish a policy and funding fight with the leaders of Democratic strongholds, imposing his administration’s will on churches could be another matter.

“There is a long tradition in American law enforcement of not breaking into churches in order to arrest someone unless the person is wanted for an act of violence,” Fox News Senior Judicial Analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano told FoxNews.com. “In order for the police or for Immigration and Customs Enforcement to enter a church against the will of a priest or minister who is running the church, they need an arrest warrant for a specific human being –short of that, they’re not going to go in there.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/23/trumps-battle-against-illegal-immigrant-sanctuary-may-end-at-church-steps.html

1479849997764.jpg

Edited by Sally

~We were sent to preach not to judge~ 

~Be kind to one another because all of us are suffering one way or another. This is our refuge from oppression~

:) 

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

This could be interesting.  May I post a popcorn?  :popcorn:

just an interesting side note   ...   who would have thought that there would have been as many earthquake threads as there are Trump threads - I guess, both are earthshaking,eh!  8-)

Edited by timpin

Just now, LeslieDean said:

Sometimes that video clip taken the day after the election of school children chanting ' build that wall' to their Mexican classmates springs up into my mind and I can not stop the tears. ,

Yeah, I don't get it.  I think I've overestimated my fellow man for too long.  Looks like a lot of bigotry hand hatred has been kept just under the surface waiting an excuse to erupt.

48 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Yeah, I don't get it.  I think I've overestimated my fellow man for too long.  Looks like a lot of bigotry hand hatred has been kept just under the surface waiting an excuse to erupt.

...and now another opportunity to turn that bigotry toward religion....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Don't worry, though we are an island, some politicians would still love to build a wall to keep asylum seekers out. The same bigotry is resurfacing everywhere. I think people just want to close ranks as nations and leave others to fend for themselves, apathy and without love of goodness for your fellow man to the nth degree.

On miércoles, 23 de noviembre de 2016 at 9:57 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

Don't worry, though we are an island, some politicians would still love to build a wall to keep asylum seekers out. The same bigotry is resurfacing everywhere. I think people just want to close ranks as nations and leave others to fend for themselves, apathy and without love of goodness for your fellow man to the nth degree.

While that is undeniable, I also understand the opposite viewpoint. Illegal immigration brings a lot of problems and challenges with it: poverty, crime, unemployment, cultural conflicts... Every government has the right to secure its country's borders and deny entrance to anyone not fulfilling the requirements. Entering a country illegally is, well, illegal.

That is correct Carlos, because you can't just let illegal immigrants flood the country. But it is a humanitarian requirement in our civilised age to allow refugees and genuine asylum seekers - those who have been displace by was and are stateless - our refuge. But with the flood of so many people in one flux, the current system is not capable of processing such large numbers. And then added to the mix are ones coming for economic benefits, who are not refugees, due to poverty in their country. The numbers are just too large to handle. Like you said the problems for these people to assimilate in their new countries is causing massive disruption to those countries.

So, given that, you have to ask: Why are SO MANY on the move NOW? Not since the end of WW2 has there been so many people on the move. The world's govt can never hope to cope with such large numbers, and it is not a short term thing like after the war. There are people from so many developing countries on the move from Africa and Asia - huge populations of poor people. And then of course those directly involved in was from Afghanistan,  Iraq and Syria. What is the solution? Only Jehovah's kingdom. I think these huge illegal immigration numbers add to the evidence that we are so very very close to Jehovah ending the suffering. It just can't keep going like this.

My comment about the wall was just to add that Donald Trump's wall idea has traction here as well, as this is not just something that is happening in America. The issue of a wall separating us and them is repugnant, and allows racism to return as national policy guised as protecting national interests. We are definitely seeing the rise of racism here as well as worldwide - Trump is just saying the same thing louder.

Just a side note-not to get off topic, but I think there may be a Silver Lining for some people in the ministry with all the talk about Trump, maybe some people will wake up and have a study once they realize that Trump is not the answer to solve mankind problems or the government.

On domingo, 27 de noviembre de 2016 at 0:08 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

That is correct Carlos, because you can't just let illegal immigrants flood the country. But it is a humanitarian requirement in our civilised age to allow refugees and genuine asylum seekers - those who have been displace by was and are stateless - our refuge.

Yes, of course. I was referring to the original news report, which mentioned American churches protecting illegal immigrants from expulsion. Those churches are going against the law due to their political agenda.

Refugees are not illegal immigrants. They have to follow a different procedure and they are allowed legal entrance to the country until their application for asylum is accepted or denied.

Certainly this world is ruined in so many senses that only the kingdom can fix them.

Edited by carlos

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, Manny2186 said:

Just a side note-not to get off topic, but I think there may be a Silver Lining for some people in the ministry with all the talk about Trump, maybe some people will wake up and have a study once they realize that Trump is not the answer to solve mankind problems or the government.

Have thought the same exact thing myself, dear brother!  

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)