JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Trump's phone call with Taiwan president risks China's wrath

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2657 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Oh yeah the end is near!

Diplomatic experts predict fraught start to US relations with Beijing after president-elect’s conversation with Tsai Ing-wen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/03/trump-angers-beijing-with-provocative-phone-call-to-taiwan-president.

Trump-Taiwan call: China lodges protest

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38194371

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

At first, when I read the title, I wondered how China would know who Trump called on the phone - you know, were they admitting they had his phone bugged :eek: but, then it explained that he tweeted about it.

The thing is .... many, many, many US calls are made to Taiwan every day. There is quite a lot of business and commerce that the US and Taiwanese companies do. How come China does not get up set with those calls.

If the Governor of Puerto Rice were to talk to the head of China for some reason, would the US respond the same way? :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The first link has an error message. I'm confused. I still don't see why calling Taiwan would upset the Chinese government??? 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

The first link has an error message. I'm confused. I still don't see why calling Taiwan would upset the Chinese government??? 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/politics/donald-trump-taiwan/index.html

(CNN)China's foreign ministry said Saturday it has lodged a complaint with the United States over a controversial phone call between President-elect Donald Trump and Taiwan's President that has overturned decades of diplomatic protocol.

China views Taiwan as a renegade province and, since 1979, the US has acknowledged Beijing's claim that Taiwan is part of China, with US-China relations governed by a set of protocols known as the "one China" policy.

This means there are no formal diplomatic relations between the United States and Taiwan -- so Trump's decision to take Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen's call could risk a major upset.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

32 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/politics/donald-trump-taiwan/index.html

(CNN)China's foreign ministry said Saturday it has lodged a complaint with the United States over a controversial phone call between President-elect Donald Trump and Taiwan's President that has overturned decades of diplomatic protocol.

China views Taiwan as a renegade province and, since 1979, the US has acknowledged Beijing's claim that Taiwan is part of China, with US-China relations governed by a set of protocols known as the "one China" policy.

This means there are no formal diplomatic relations between the United States and Taiwan -- so Trump's decision to take Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen's call could risk a major upset.

Thanks. I still think the Chinese government is over exaggerating.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

The key is making sure he can get that new hotel built there that he wants. Hey, you're only President for 4-8 years. One has to think about what they'll do after.   :lol1:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

China Amplifies Warning on Taiwan, and Trump Takes a Tougher Line
BEIJING — China warned President-elect Donald J. Trump on Monday that he was risking a confrontation over Taiwan, even as Mr. Trump broadened the dispute with new messages on Twitter challenging Beijing’s trade policies and military activities in the South China Sea.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/world/asia/china-donald-trump-taiwan-twitter.html?referer=http://www.google.com/

1 hour ago, Tbs77 said:

China Amplifies Warning on Taiwan, and Trump Takes a Tougher Line
BEIJING — China warned President-elect Donald J. Trump on Monday that he was risking a confrontation over Taiwan, even as Mr. Trump broadened the dispute with new messages on Twitter challenging Beijing’s trade policies and military activities in the South China Sea.

He is being a bully and he isn't even in office yet...

This is going to be a wild 4 years....(or less..)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

China is calling Whitehouse asking to intervene. .

Yeah. I'm sure President Obama can reign Trump in.   :nope:   :lol1:

:popcorn:

Hey, aren't they supposed to cry, "peace and security"? I'm sure this is just a small bump to get there. 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 12/5/2016 at 10:59 AM, Tortuga said:

He is being a bully and he isn't even in office yet...

This is going to be a wild 4 years....(or less..)

some would say it will be "unpresidented!"  (poor guy can't cut a break, huh?)   ...    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/17/trump-faces-unpresidented-moment-on-twitter.html?__source=xfinity|headline&par=xfinity