JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Comfort to the max! Fried Cheese

This.  I came home sick after working a 12 hour shift and went straight to bed Saturday morning. 4 days ago.  The only time I woke up was to take meds, go to the bathroom or get something to drink.  Had not ate since Friday night.  Woke up at 0430 this morning and was so hungry my stomach thought my throat had been cut.  Seriously hungry. After I have been sick I usually want mashed potatoes and gravy, or macaroni and cheese. Something truly comforting and loaded with love.  This was it.  Once returning from the store it took me 10 minutes to have the finished product on my plate and back in bed!  I used my cast iron pan with a little olive oil and it produces the crunchiest exterior!  The inside is so warm and gooey!  I used a can of Salsa and made the cilantro sauce for two kinds of heaven.  It hit the spot on all levels.  I fell back to sleep almost immediately after devouring this goodness.  Woke up to a cold sore on my chin and nose!   Not as well as I hoped.  More medicine , missed the meeting tonight but hope to be able to return to work tomorrow night.  

Omne, I think you will adore this too! 

Ingredients
  • ½ pound queso blanco or queso para freir
  • Vegetable oil, optional

Instructions
  1. Cut the queso blanco into squares.
  2. Heat the pan to medium-high (with oil if required) and sear the queso blanco.
  3. Turn as each side browns. Don't worry if you don't quite get all the edges, it's hard to do.
  4. Drain on paper towels.
  5. Serve with your favorite taqueria type salsa for dipping. The mildly salty cheese holds up well against spicy chipotle and chili salsas, while providing a nice balance to the heat.

Notes
If using a non-stick pan, oil is not needed.   

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

CILANTRO MOJO

• 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 serrano chile, seeded, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon (packed) chopped fresh basil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Dont forget to make this sauce to accompany the fried cheese!  Similiar to a pesto but works so well with the richness and crunch of the cheese.  

You will be happy you tried it!  So easy yet so impressive to serve for friends!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Last post I promise on this topic.  Take corn tortillas and brown them off in a dab of oil and serve with the cheese and sauces.  Take a piece of crusty chees and place in tortilla and ladle on a spoonful of the Mojo or salsa.  Fold in half and prepare yourself.  Enjoy!

LeslieDean

• 5 weeks later...

Caution : Never use Windex or Cilantro to clean your ears...   

Edited by Precision

Leslie, this is indeed something I know I'd like just for the fact alone that "cheeses pleases!"  If people can make fried ice cream, anything else is possible! :lol:

And yes, I LOVE cilantro and use it for my Indian/Spanish-inspired dishes!!

Edited by Omo_Yeme