JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2017 regional convention theme

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2415 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:25 AM, Thomas Walker said:

Last year's convention, the comment I heard the most was: "If this is the last one we ever have, it would be the perfect one to end on."

I get the impression that every convention from now on will be the same.

I hope so...though last year's RC is going to be difficult to top for me. Of course, I said the same thing about the 'Keep on the Watch' convention.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

6 hours ago, sis little said:

Dif anyone do a notebook for the Conventio?

Very likely, Sister Astrid will do one. (I hope so.) And, there is one other member here who is working on one. (No, it's not me. Other than that I won't tell.) :D

Usually a month before the first convention is when we start to see the notebooks that brothers and sisters make find their way online. Last year I tried to use a regular plain notebook and it didn't work well for me. Thoughts from different talks were all over the place. So this year I'm going to use a notebook that the friends make to keep my notes organized, clean and easy to read and review after the convention. 

20 minutes ago, Cheeks said:

For those assigned to the Toronto Special Convention, our group overseer just told us that we will be having Brother Herd from the Gov Body and a brother named Rocky who is an assistant to the Gov Body! emoji3.png

Interesting. "Rocky" would likely be Seth Hyatt, Helper to the Service Committee. See the September 2016 monthly broadcast , and note how Brother Splane refers to him at the beginning.

I was hoping that they made a movie about Noah for this year, and we need one seeing that disaster with Russell Crowe in it. Probably the worst Biblical film adaptation in recorded history.

But the one upcoming is very appropriate for our day, judging from the title, and the Bible account. I do not think it will focus of the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah as much as it will warn us about the danger of materialism and looking at the things behind.

I'm really thinking, thus believe, that this years convention is preparing us for the GT. Not that prior conventions didn't, but somehow since Jehovah's timetable is ticking forward, the GT is fast approaching and our ever loving God is preparing us. He'll never leave us in the lurch...although we ourselves have no idea the day or time...Jehovah does! 

But either way, it's definitely going to be what we need. 

And would you'all please allow me to say this, and it just occurred to me right now: my convention is June 2-4. There are some whose convention is in September. So some of you may feel like "oh man! I wish mine was earlier!" and that's okay too. 

Yet have any of us (including me as in wishing mine was in May), ever given thought that when our convention rolls around, it will be the exact time when it should be for us individually?  What I mean is, depending on what we're going through, May, June, July, August, or September may be when we need it the most even though it'll  be the same program. Wait. I'm not saying so as in a fact, but it could be. 

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Luezette

8 hours ago, Bob said:

[...]hoping that they made a movie about Noah for this year, and we need one seeing that disaster with Russell Crowe in it. Probably the worst Biblical film adaptation in recorded history.

But, "Noah" won two; count them...2 Teen Choice Awards! :lol:   All kidding aside, I can relate to your comments Br. Robert. For all intents and purposes; this was nothing more than a God-dishonoring movie. (Fam and I watched the first 30 minutes and could no longer stomach the rest. )

I do concede that I, and many of us, were amazed by the epic-like broadcast of the drama O Jehovah,...I Trust in You and now want similar dramas.  How can the Branch possibly top that?  But then again, with God ALL things are possible.

Edited by Omo_Yeme

12 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

But, "Noah" won two; count them...2 Teen Choice Awards! :lol:   All kidding aside, I can relate to your comments Br. Robert. For all intents and purposes; this was nothing more than a God-dishonoring movie. (Fam and I watched the first 30 minutes and could no longer stomach the rest. )

I do concede that I, and many of us, were amazed by the epic-like broadcast of the drama O Jehovah,...I Trust in You and now want similar dramas.  How can the Branch possibly top that?  But then again, with God ALL things are possible.

I'm with you. I watch the first few mins as well, but checked out for the rest. I eventually saw the whole thing, but was disgusted. I have a feeling this year's will be a modern-day. They do great with those as well, but I hope it set in Bible times, to be honest.

they called Jehovah "the Creator" during the entire movie. A deliberate attempt to hide the name of God.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Luezette said:

I'm really thinking, thus believe, that this years convention is preparing us for the GT. Not that prior conventions didn't, but somehow since Jehovah's timetable is ticking forward, the GT is fast approaching and our ever loving God is preparing us. He'll never leave us in the lurch...although we ourselves have no idea the day or time...Jehovah does! 

But either way, it's definitely going to be what we need. 

And would you'all please allow me to say this, and it just occurred to me right now: my convention is June 2-4. There are some whose convention is in September. So some of you may feel like "oh man! I wish mine was earlier!" and that's okay too. 

Yet have any of us (including me as in wishing mine was in May), ever given thought that when our convention rolls around, it will be the exact time when it should be for us individually?  What I mean is, depending on what we're going through, May, June, July, August, or September may be when we need it the most even though it'll  be the same program. Wait. I'm not saying so as in a fact, but it could be. 

Just some thoughts.

You're spot on sister. For the last year's convention we had in October, I was out of work till a couple of months before the convention. The "hope for what you do not see" made perfect sense to me as I could relate all that I went through while watching it. It made me cry but I went aside and wept while no one was watching me... so yeah, like you stated "will be the exact time when it should be for us individually"

paradise.eternity.glory

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, jscotchie said:

Some artwork for y'all... Don't Give Up!

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.39.12 pm.png

Now that the Memorial is over it's time for a new 'lock screen/wallpaper' on my phone as we start focusing on our RC's which start next Month!

thanks again Jamie and Neil   ...   

Edited by timpin

• 2 weeks later...

The "Convention Releases " folder should show up in JWLIBRARY and on JW.Org soon...

Does it show up the first day of the first convention?

It is going to be difficult testing my self control ...::o

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I was reviewing again the "Don't Give Up" program and noticed that we will be singing seven new kingdom songs at this years' regional convention. >:D<

Friday's Sessions

• Light in a Darkened World
  • How Does It Make You Feel <-- Can you imagine the throng of God's people swaying side-to-side during this upbeat/joyful song?
  • Our Strength, Our Hope, Our Confidence

Saturday Session

• Teach Them to Stand Firm

Sunday's Sessions

• You Gave Your Precious Son
  • Preaching to All Sorts of People
  • We Will Keep Enduring

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't had the chance to sing  the above songs (in bold) at our local congregation yet, have we?  And let us not forget one of my personal favorites to be sung (i.e. Our Reasons for Joy).  I am thrilled!

8 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

I was reviewing again the "Don't Give Up" program and noticed that we will be singing seven new kingdom songs at this years' regional convention. >:D<

Friday's Sessions

• How Does It Make You Feel <-- Can you imagine the throng of God's people swaying side-to-side during this upbeat/joyful song?

Saturday Session

Sunday's Sessions

• We Will Keep Enduring

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't had the chance to sing  the above songs (in bold) at our local congregation yet, have we?  And let us not forget one of my personal favorites to be sung (i.e. Our Reasons for Joy).  I am thrilled!

Had you had this week's CLAM yet? The middle song was the former song 154 " We Will Keep Enduring"

I also wait for the day we will swing and sway to "How Does It Make You Feel?" Glad the convention is one of those opportunities.

I personally look forward to a time we can praise Jehovah with song and (decent) dance. David got a chance to do this! I would have joined and Michal would have thought there were 2 mad people in the kingdom.

I was reviewing again the "Don't Give Up" program and noticed that we will be singing seven new kingdom songs at this years' regional convention. >:D  
Friday's Sessions
  • How Does It Make You Feel
Saturday Session
Sunday's Sessions
  • We Will Keep Enduring

We just have to practice the songs at home real hard. Gather a group of friends who might not have anyone to practice with and get started.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The "Convention Releases " folder should show up in JWLIBRARY and on JW.Org soon...

I will have great control this year, as we attend the first convention in jersey City (Stanley Theater). You think Jah is giving me hints to not be anxious or self Control?,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will have great control this year, as we attend the first convention in jersey City (Stanley Theater). You think Jah is giving me hints to not be anxious or self Control?,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cheeks said:

I might be a little selfish but I am not volunteering for this yr convention as I don't want to miss anything.
I am vowing to ensure I get as much as I can from this spiritual feast.

I'm not sure how your AH is planned, but in ours, in almost every corner there's audio (including bathrooms), and the main entrance, mother&child room, first aid room etc have small screens. You could also asked to be used before/after the program or during the lunch break. Or even cleaning/gardening before and after the convention. Don't let the lovely volunteer spirit die. Jehovah will care for you. He appreciates your willingness to serve him and your fellow brothers.

Edited by Skye

And he'll never cease to amaze us too.

Romans 11:33 says "O the depth of God's riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!"

We will never, ever "get" him as in fully knowing and understanding and being amazed by him, no matter how long we'll live and we all know how long that will be. :)

Edited by Luezette