JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Only in Canada: Something called poutine. I know this site is being looked at by brothers and sisters from all around the world, and so some of you don't even know what that is. First, here's what it looks like:

05poutine.jpeg.fb03620dfde7d119964b713b53af3897.jpeg

A fellow Canadian on this site gave us a recipe some time ago of how it's made, in this post:

So, what made me think of poutine at this particular time? I saw an article in today's National Post about it. There is some debate about whether poutine is really Canadian. The person in this article says it's actually more specific to the province of Canada where I live: Quebec.

Well, in reality, he's right! When I first came to Quebec 30 years ago, I had never heard of poutine. To my knowledge it was never heard of in any other Canadian province until 1990-something. When I visited my original home town Toronto, in the province of Ontario, or  the city of Vancouver, in the province of British Columbia, I was surprised to see poutine in a couple of restaurants in those locations.

By the way, I think poutine is delicious! I'd take it over plain old French fries any day! (Hhmmm. I'm getting hungry all of a sudden. :eat:)

P.S.: "P-o-u-t-i-n-e" is also the French spelling of "Putin," as in the president of Russia! You may feel free to make up your own joke about that if anything comes to mind.

Just now, Sheep said:

Oh please! Don't mess with a good recipe. (although it might be worth a try)

Come to think of it, Dairy Queen in Parry Sound in early 90's had a cheese, meat chili, raw onion on fries basket. :eat::eat:.

My boys and I only got when on for 1/2 price. :D.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Road facts for Cdn driving.  We drive on what is left.

Start trip with stop at Timmie's ( my wife - who is from the US quite often wants to stop )

Up north drive a tank and your vehicle might survive.  Had a moose take out brother-in-law's Peterbuilt semi.

English vs Canadjan driving.jpg

Canadjan trips start.jpg

Moose wins.jpg

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

We Yoopers have a lot of common words and meanings as Canadians.

Not surprising.  After all, we do share a border and a Great Lake.

2019368343_LakeSuperiorCircleTour.gif.98cfb981dde221c0e0a8352d33c92309.gif

My Father took our family on this circle tour back in 1962.  

Some maps of the US even show the Upper Peninsula is a part of Canada:

1698607448_TheUPofCanadalol.gif.422400bafd353bba9f2243a6a843515d.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I realized being from Downunder, I can read a bit of Canada speaks, but it's the accent I struggle with. I watch a bit of Ice Truckers, and I have to put the subtitles on...

I think it might be from the British roots we share a little in the common ancestry.

For example, we also say Zed (for Zee)

But the way it is vocalised shares no similarity.

Older {waiting for wiser}