JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Colfax, CA in the news

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2635 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Tim and Denise .  . this one's for you

L.A. Times, story on major storm system,  "The town of Colfax in the Sierra Nevada, known as the 'turnaround town', has one of the most used I-80  on/off ramps in Northern California on a snow day".

Options for stranded travelers are slim in the Old West railroad town, whose most famous mention is a passing reference in Jules Verne's 'Around the World in 80 Days'. Even Phileas Fogg did not stop.

http://www.latimes.com/sdhoy-state-of-panic-grips-northern-california-as-atmospheric-river-approaches-the-sierra-nevada-20170106-story.html

Hope you enjoyed this Tim and Denise !

Edited by Musky

I've recently watched a few newscasts from the Starbucks and McDonald's that I've been to while in that area...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

33 minutes ago, Doug said:

Tim and Denise .  . this one's for you

L.A. Times, story on major storm system,  "The town of Colfax in the Sierra Nevada, known as the 'turnaround town', has one of the most used I-80  on/off ramps in Northern California on a snow day".

Options for stranded travelers are slim in the Old West railroad town, whose most famous mention is a passing reference in Jules Verne's 'Around the World in 80 Days'. Even Phileas Fogg did not stop.

Hope you enjoyed this Tim and Denise !

Hey Doug, that's cool, you know what this little town is like. 

We like to think it's the Kingdom Hall that's next to the Fwy that draws people in. 

I was looking at my Instagram feed and someone posted a picture of our Hall , taken a couple of days ago when we got a dusting of snow...it looks really neat like that.  The JW.ORG stood out really well,  the blue was in good contrast to the mainly black and white capture. .

32 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Fwy? Does that stand for flyway since so few stop and just fly on :DBy?

Yeah, because you really got to get a run going if you're gonna make the hill..

Actually it's Interstate 80, I was a little sloppy there..

Most people don't say I-80 but that's most accurate.

Only them flatlanders say it thataways..

Fer us foothill folks 'fwy' works jes fine--:gun-toot:

OK - What's a 'link' ?   haha . .

I may be the most tech unsavvy  here on the forum.

However,  was edition 1/6/17 in L.A. Times.  Byline (if they still refer to the author that way) is  Paige St. John and Joseph Serna.  Title was "Paniic in the Sierra Nevada .  .  ."

Perhaps you can track it down?  I found it at Drudge Report.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-atmospheric-river-prepare-20170105-story.html

The first band of what forecasters predict will be the region’s most powerful storm in a decade moved into Northern California on Saturday, prompting official warnings of widespread flooding and epic snowfall.

“People are definitely in a state of panic right now,” said El Dorado County Sheriff’s Sgt. Todd Hammitt. “We’re getting a lot of calls asking if we’re going to be able to deal with everything. It’s the general pandemonium of not knowing what’s coming.”

41 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

We're gonna find out,  ask me in 40 days...:boating:

Hopefully they all put a blow up raft next to their go-bag.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

We're gonna find out,  ask me in 40 days...:boating:

Good thing you live in an ark....:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 hours ago, Shawnster said:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-atmospheric-river-prepare-20170105-story.html

The first band of what forecasters predict will be the region’s most powerful storm in a decade moved into Northern California on Saturday, prompting official warnings of widespread flooding and epic snowfall.

“People are definitely in a state of panic right now,” said El Dorado County Sheriff’s Sgt. Todd Hammitt. “We’re getting a lot of calls asking if we’re going to be able to deal with everything. It’s the general pandemonium of not knowing what’s coming.”

https://twitter.com/NWSSacramento   next 2 days the worst - keep us posted Tim

Edited by timpin

6 hours ago, vern said:

is it raining hard up there?  I'm near Concord and its just a big let down from a lot of hype about rain amounts. 

Yes, it has been raining quite hard for several hours. We lost power here earlier,  but only for a few minutes.  That's unusual.  It almost always is out for hours,  and we were ready for that.  We didn't even have to light any candles or lamps. This area has power outages several times a year,  we just adapt. .

When I look at my weather app and see all the green yellow and red areas, and their movement is in line with my house,  I have to believe its on its way.  I don't know what the rainfall total is for the day but it has really been coming down. .

Kind of bummed about being sickly right now, I have a cold and missed my banquet this morning and I don't really feel like going out and getting more firewood. I will,  just don't want to --:depressed:

I hope you get some of this in Concord,  last I checked that is still part of California. ..and we need it. The talking heads have said  that this storm, as big as it is, still wont kill the drought issues.  Most all the reservoirs are full (I think ) and there are flood warnings all over the place. . I haven't been out for 2 days tho so I don't really know. ..

2 hours ago, vern said:

drought. they are obsurd... the only drought that this wouldn't help is thier over use of ground water.  just another reason why Christ kingdom will be far better.

All the infrastructure is very old. They want to fix it but they are on the horns of a dilemma.  They don't want to spend the money that they don't have to fix it in the summer and they don't want to spend anything in the winter for damages. 

Search youtube for Rollins Lake CA , you can see what this area is like..