JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Music before and after meetings

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2631 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We still have the little black keypad digital media player hooked up to the sound system and it is loaded with the new songs, we use it to play random songs before and after the meetings.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

We play music before and after.  Lower volume than normal to allow for conversations.  I feel its a nice welcome when you walk through the doors to hear the kingdom songs.

We were in the habit in our congregation, but it is no longer done.

Background enhances my mood when at a restaurant, how much more so at the kingdom hall...

Has someone got a WT reference for playing them before and after the meeting?

29 minutes ago, thebluebaron said:

We were in the habit in our congregation, but it is no longer done.

Background enhances my mood when at a restaurant, how much more so at the kingdom hall...

Has someone got a WT reference for playing them before and after the meeting?

That's a letter to the elders about it..

2 minutes ago, dvds said:

That's a letter to the elders about it..

Instructions are:

... elders should make arrangements to play Kingdom songs over the sound system before and after congregation meetings. ...

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We play music before and after. I think it's especially important for those on the phone hookup. If they connect before the talk and hear nothing, they don't know if the connection is working. But, if they hear music, they know it's good.

One older Sister said it makes her feel more part of the meeting, especially if the music is left playing and the hookup still connected for a while after the meeting has finished. I think some Brothers are quick to disconnect them and pack up.

2 hours ago, fibrecat said:

I read this letter too...

Yes, we do the same before and after the meeting - "kingdom songs".

But what about the "Video Songs", at jw.org called "Original Songs"?

What do you think, are they included here?

:popcorn:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The original songs are not the same.  We do not use them at them meetings. 

Also the instructions back in the  2011 KM said to play the piano music.  No mention of the vocal renditions.  So today, we have updated to orchestral music, but we do not play the vocal or choral renditions.  They are for our enjoyment at other times.  And as for Kingdom Melodies, these shouldn't be played either.  Again enjoy at home, but no longer for meetings.

14 hours ago, niall said:

the hookup still connected for a while after the meeting has finished. I think some Brothers are quick to disconnect them and pack up.

In most cases, since the amount each Congregation pays for the phone/internet tie-in service, is based on the amount of time a Congregation "should" use each month ..... most services do not want you to stay connected after the meeting is ended. In fact, and I have used more than one, the instructions from the service provider(s) say to terminate the connection as soon as the meeting ends.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

In most cases, since the amount each Congregation pays for the phone/internet tie-in service, is based on the amount of time a Congregation "should" use each month ..... most services do not want you to stay connected after the meeting is ended. In fact, and I have used more than one, the instructions from the service provider(s) say to terminate the connection as soon as the meeting ends.

That is exactly the way it is in our Hall.  The Sound brother used to leave it on after the meeting, but then he quit doing that.

I asked one of the elders why and was told the phone company wanted their service to end when our service did.:lol:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Interesting!! I haven't heard anything like that in any of the Kingdom Halls I've been in, but it might be different in Australia.

I'll have to specifically ask the Elder about that.

The instructions we received from the provider on how to connect and use the tie-in service (number(s) to call to tie-in, code/PIN to enter, count) included the instructions to terminate as soon as the meeting ends.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

we use a new program for the sound and video throughout the meeting

?Sound Mixer? - I forget - its an icon on the computer at the sound console

it has the ability to take the downloaded videos, pictures, audio and audio (mp4) w lyrics

and incorporate them

we have a button that says BACKGROUND MUSIC - which plays music randomly - mp3

both before and after the meeting

our telephone hookup has nothing to do with this

we have had direction that music should be played before and after

we have had reminders that those with responsibilities should be there 15-20 early

so in our KH you get music for about 15-20 mins before and after

the application also makes it easy to play the pictures from the workbook and Biblestudy and WT and all the video

On 1/11/2017 at 2:41 PM, Old said:

Instructions are:

... elders should make arrangements to play Kingdom songs over the sound system before and after congregation meetings. ...

I understand that a recent letter to the elders (S-144-E) has instructions on how to use JWLibrary to play music before and after a meeting. Is that correct?

44 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I understand that a recent letter to the elders (S-144-E) has instructions on how to use JWLibrary to play music before and after a meeting. Is that correct?

Yes - looks like things will change in part

but there might be a combining ......just speaking off top of my head

some tools have a timer, etc

but the JW Library App is recommended for certain responsibilities

some details online

http://cv8.org.uk/soundbox/jan2017.html

Edited by DarinS

added link

• 2 weeks later...

KH Conf is what we use to hook up the telephone system here.  There is a 2 hour window, we try not to get distracted and forget to set it up but if people come back to the sound booth and distract us we sometimes are late in getting it hooked up.  Then on the other side of the coin we don't want to start it at 6:30 because by 8:30 it will drop off.  The friends understand that we have to time it just right.  Usually when I'm running the sound system, I try and dial up at 6:50, no later or earlier.   That way when the meeting is supposed to end at 8:45 we still have a 5 minute cushion.  Its a fine line.  

4 hours ago, The Deej said:

KH Conf is what we use to hook up the telephone system here.  There is a 2 hour window, we try not to get distracted and forget to set it up but if people come back to the sound booth and distract us we sometimes are late in getting it hooked up.  Then on the other side of the coin we don't want to start it at 6:30 because by 8:30 it will drop off.  The friends understand that we have to time it just right.  Usually when I'm running the sound system, I try and dial up at 6:50, no later or earlier.   That way when the meeting is supposed to end at 8:45 we still have a 5 minute cushion.  Its a fine line.  

I thought that the window was 2 hours and 10 minutes.

From KH Conf website:

The time limit is set to 2 hours and 10 minutes of connected time. If any caller has been connected for 2 hours and 10 minutes, they are disconnected automatically. This limit is a global limit and cannot be raised for individual accounts. For certain special events, the limit has been increased in the past.

Edited by Zebra555