JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How long do the names need to be to name all the stars in Hebrew?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to calculate how long the names would need to be to uniquely identify each star in meaningful Hebrew.

Estimated stars in our galaxy alone - 100bn to 300bn.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+many+stars+in+the+universe&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

(Unless you prefer Bing.) 

I'm guessing it's surprisingly few, like 24 letters.

Isaiah 40:26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Star1, star2, star3....

Just using the Hebrew alphabet. Cheat!

(I know what's coming next. So don't even think about it brother.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

10 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to calculate how long the names would need to be to uniquely identify each star in meaningful Hebrew.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+many+stars+in+the+universe&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Isaiah 40:26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.

Given 300,000,000,000 stars per galaxy

100,000,000,000 known galaxys

22 letters in Hebrew alphabet

and ignoring the fact that some orderings of letters are invalid

THE answer is 17 letters

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

4 minutes ago, Hartley said:

Given 300,000,000,000 stars per galaxy

100,000,000,000 known galaxys

22 letters in Hebrew alphabet

and ignoring the fact that some orderings of letters are invalid

THE answer is 17 letters

Most scientist name stars by an alpha numeric name such as "HD 174974" if Jehovah named them thus he would only need 15 letters.

I said meaningful Hebrew. By which I mean not just random strings of letters, but valid syllables.

15 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

I said meaningful Hebrew. By which I mean not just random strings of letters, but valid syllables.

Meaningful to whom. Do you know anyone who understands Hebrew?

8 hours ago, Hartley said:

Meaningful to whom. Do you know anyone who understands Hebrew?

Pronounceable. Following the rules of Hebrew word formation, whatever that means.

And yes. But I am no longer in contact with them.

In English, if I put my hands in a huge Scrabble bag and picked say ten letters, only a small subset of these grabs would produce letters that could be arranged to produce something that looked like valid English words.

How small? In Hebrew. :D

You can choose English if you are too chicken. :peace: :D

22 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

You can choose English if you are too chicken. :peace: :D

Ohhhh.....a challenge! 

I haven't found a challenge yet that I was afraid to run away from....:wave:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The rules and maths for the number of possible English words are here btw:

https://linguischtick.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/how-many-words-could-english-have/

Too hard for me.

23 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Keep in mind that I don’t speak Hebrew, Ancient or modern.

Masoretic Hebrew has 22 consonants and 24 vowel points (including diphthongs))

A Hebrew syllable has one vowel and one consonant. Both are written in the same character space.

This would therefore create 528 pronounceable syllables,  each taking one character  space.

Number of stars = 3x10 22

Number of possible pronunciations with 9 Hebrew characters = 5289 = 3.1x1024

Only 9 Masoretic Hebrew characters or syllables, would be required, with plenty of spare names, to name all the known stars in the universe. Theses syllables could, of course, be separated into different words.

26 minutes ago, Hartley said:

Keep in mind that I don’t speak Hebrew, Ancient or modern.

Masoretic Hebrew has 22 consonants and 24 vowel points (including diphthongs))

A Hebrew syllable has one vowel and one consonant. Both are written in the same character space.

This would therefore create 528 pronounceable syllables,  each taking one character  space.

Number of stars = 3x10 22

Number of possible pronunciations with 9 Hebrew characters = 5289 = 3.1x1024

Only 9 Masoretic Hebrew characters or syllables, would be required, with plenty of spare names, to name all the known stars in the universe. Theses syllables could, of course, be separated into different words.

That's amazing. Thank you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think this scripture necessarily means Jehovah has a "name" for every star in the sense that he uses a combination of sounds or such to describe them, such as "Little fireball in the line of fireballs pointing to the black hole consuming the gas giants" I think the scripture simply tells us he knows each star individually, their consistency, how they came into being, in fact he knows the vibration of each and every individual atom that they consist of.