JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

PoweredTools, which are your favorites?

On 1/13/2017 at 0:25 PM, Gregexplore said:

I like Dewalt and Milwaukee stuff but really I wouldn't spend extra money if I needed tools for domestic use only.

I bought Ozito hammer drill for $129 with battery and 5 years warranty ...happy with that.

d0e98b76-1015-4127-8442-cee5000813c0.jpg

Yes definietly my fav tool.

Can drill or do up

just dont get your fingers.

lol.

happened along time ago.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

On 1/14/2017 at 8:10 AM, rocket said:

My favorite power tools has to be the Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw and the Router. I have made a dining room set out of Nicaraguan Walnut, a oak bedroom  wall unit that goes at the head of the bed having floor to ceiling cloths cabinet on each side and mirror across head of bed. I also remodeled older cabinets through out the house with oak trim.  My latest project was to cut out of 2' x 12' rough cut redwood all the pieces, small and large, to make an eight sided gazebo. 

I think it was because I was raised very poor and we had to 'make do' with what we had, that I love tools. I could help reinvent something that had outlived it's usefulness. Then when I left home I literally had nothing so we had garage sales and the Five-and-Dime. Today I like new things but it can lack personality. Fixing up something older makes me feel good and it has character.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 years later...

I'd like to get a drill/impact wrench combo set but I haven't decided which one. I'm currently looking at Dewalt, Milwaukee or Makita. Any suggestions?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I'd like to get a drill/impact wrench combo set but I haven't decided which one. I'm currently looking at Dewalt, Milwaukee or Makita. Any suggestions?

I'll ask over on ShopFloorTalk, those guys will know....or have an opinion about it.

I have used Dewalt and Makita and Ryobi. I consider Dewalt as better of the three but out of my price range. For a while Makita was top, even when a drill driver was synonymous for Makita, from my point of view is  they felt they had the market and did not keep up with new developements. I had three units fracture at the top of the handle before they switched to attaching the battery to the bottom of the handle as everybody does now. I haven't been back. Would buy a Dewalt or Milwaukee except for my moderate use.  Ryobi does fine.

Important to keep all battery powered tools to one brand to limit batteries and chargers, so I choose Ryobi. I have a battery powered Ryobi sawszall, hammer drill, caulking gun , circular hand saw, a a saber saw, a zipsaw, a weed trimmer, hand blower. and hammer driver.. I Also have a Ryobi 120V airless sprayer, and a 100 year old Buffalo drill press. I am not knocking Makita, I have a Makita table saw that is at least 25 years old ad a 120V Makita hand grinder. 

Milwauki has always been a good product but over priced. I have probably invested in $10,000 in Milwaukee products for my employers through the years. Except for a few years when they had a problem with their switches they have always been excellent, I think you could bank on their battery powered tools.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

53 minutes ago, Old said:

Would buy a Dewalt or Milwaukee except for my moderate use.  Ryobi does fine.

That's part of my problem, I'm not sure how often I will use them. I currently have an old Black and Decker set of 14.4V tools and they work fine for little stuff around the house.  Recently I was invited to an LDC project to reinstall bathroom partitions,  the  brother I worked with had Milwaukee tools and I could tell that my old B&D stuff wouldn't keep up. I have been invited to another project to install new bathroom partitions so I'd like to get some tools that are up to the task. OTOH, this may be the only time I need them..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When my companies provided any B&D tools for commercial projects my crew would gripe no end.

I am sure Milwaukee would be fine, but I have worked with Dewalts tools which both of my son's use in commercial electrical work and would give Dewalt my vote of confidence.

My so gave me his Ryobi impact driver when he got his personal Dewalt.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That's part of my problem, I'm not sure how often I will use them. I currently have an old Black and Decker set of 14.4V tools and they work fine for little stuff around the house.  Recently I was invited to an LDC project to reinstall bathroom partitions,  the  brother I worked with had Milwaukee tools and I could tell that my old B&D stuff wouldn't keep up. I have been invited to another project to install new bathroom partitions so I'd like to get some tools that are up to the task. OTOH, this may be the only time I need them..

Can you hire tools for the project?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

The crew at SFT are mostly Milwaukee, then Dewalt, one guy chimed in for Ryobi..

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=737600#post737600

Rich, I have pops Craftsman stuff if you want it..but no impact in the box...

Edited by tekmantwo

Forgot sumthin...

I have used many of the named brands. For everyday commercial use, DeWalt is hard to beat ... even though they are owned by Black & Decker.

I recently bought Ryobi tools. My brother has been using them for several years and they have held up just fine. I have a drill, impact and sawsall ... they were, and may still be, on sale at Home Depot.

I might mention, I do use the tools for work. They have been doing just fine.

On another forum, many of the guys there, if they are just going to use tools occasionally, have gone to buying Harbor Freight tools ... they hold up OK and work like they should for much less $$$ - although, I would not buy them for daily use.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

You are welcome!  Can I borrow them next week? :lol:

I have a 10" Delta Contractor's table saw

Image result for delta 10 contractor table saw

That is mounted in a 5' X 12' table. It has a Biesemeyer Fence

Image result for biesemeyer fence

I got this saw back in the 1980's. It was used by a guy that used it to make cabinets. It was the saw he started his business with. I worked at a shop a few doors away. I was doing flooring (carpet). He decided to sell the saw when he bought a new saw for his shop. He said he would let me have it for $200 - with the 5' X 12' table.

I told him I wanted it but did not have the $200 at that time. He said he would hold it for me. He moved into a new building across the street and I quit working for the carpet place. He called me up about a year later and asked me if I still wanted the saw. I said I did and he said he needed some carpet installed. He would take $100 off the price if I would install the carpet in a bedroom. I agreed. My daughter went with me and we installed the carpet in the morning. The room was furnished and we had to move the furniture.

He liked it and asked me if I had time to install another room. I told him we could. He went out and came back with carpet for another bedroom while we moved the furniture back into the first one and out of the second one. After we installed the carpet in the second room and put the furniture back, he asked me where I wanted the saw delivered. He said since I did both rooms, I could have it.

I didn't have a place to put it right then and told him we (my brother and I) had to make a place for it. Well, that took a while (actually, about another year). He kept the saw in his shop and used the table for assembling stuff. By now he had a rather large shop and several other saws.

We went by with a trailer and he loaded the saw for us with a forklift, table and all and we put it in our shop. I still have it and it still works.

I ended up getting this saw, table and all, for installing two rooms of carpet!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

25 minutes ago, Old said:

You are welcome!  Can I borrow them next week? :lol:

Just tell me what you need done and pour me a glass of wine...:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just tell me what you need done and pour me a glass of wine...:thumbsup:

Great! I have a Mad Dog 20/20, I have been wanting to share. :whistling:

Quality product, will not disappoint, and it's always pleasure to use.

20V :thumbsup:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

16 minutes ago, Old said:

Great! I have a Mad Dog 20/20, I have been wanting to share. :whistling:

I haven't had MD 20/20 in years!

:lol1:

• 4 years later...

I have too many tools to list, and the list always gets bigger each year. One year, as we were looking at our insurance coverage for contents, my wife suggested that I go and make a list of the tools that I had. As I started documenting that list (about 9 years ago), I had only put in my power tools and I had a value of $18,000 just on those, excluding all the gardening equipment, hand tools and mechanic tools. This was just my own stuff and excludes the stuff her son owned.

However, I am on the Makita 18V platform for my cordless tools, and as for electrical socket power gear, it varies from Makita, Ozito (Aussie version of Harbour Freight), Bosch, Triton, Ryobi and even a Black & Decker circular saw that I had purchased back in 1994 and I cannot kill it, it cuts not just timber, but I have used it to cut concrete, bricks, pavers, fibreglass and cement sheeting.

As we live on property, there are always repairs and such to do all the time, so the stuff I have accumulated over the years is still with me. It is a common joke within our congregation that I may have just as much gear in my shed than what Bunnings has (a hardware store chain in Australia).

But as for my favorite power tools, I really don't have any favorites, but I do get alot of use out of the cordless DTD171 impact driver and BHP454 impact drill, my Hafco BP-355 bandsaw, and Makita LS1214 sliding compound saw.

But as Walt Kowalski advised a young man that there are three things that "any man worth his salt can do half of the household chores with just those three things".

image.gif.36433ca6d4bd0bfc5708e04d5f8caf81.gif

Edited by Pabo