JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Asteroid 2017 BX "Rerun" Passes Between Earth and Moon

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2619 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Asteroid Flyby Forecasted For Tonight:

Asteroids Orbit

Diagram of Asteroid's Proximity to Earth and Moon

An asteroid designated 2017 BX – found just days ago, on January 20 – will pass between the Earth and moon on late Tuesday night according to clocks in the Americas, early Wednesday morning according to clocks in Europe and Africa and Wednesday afternoon for Asia.

Closest approach is 11:45 ET on January 24, 2017 (04:45 UTC for January 25; translate to your time zone). It’ll come within 0.68 lunar distances, or about 162,252 miles (261,120 km). This is the second time in just three weeks that a small asteroid will pass between our Earth and moon.

The asteroid’s estimated size is between 13 and 46 feet (4 and 14 meters). It’s Apollo-class asteroid, that is, an asteroid with an orbit that crosses Earth’s orbit.

At the time of its closest approach to Earth, its estimated velocity is 4.62 miles per second (7.44 km/s).

Slooh will broadcast about this asteroid, beginning at 5 p.m. ET (22:30 UTC; translate to your time zone). Slooh says that asteroid 2017 BX has been nicknamed:

… Rerun in honor of the beloved, late actor Fred Berry.

Click here to watch Slooh’s show

2017 BX was first observed at Pan-STARRS 1, Haleakala on January 20, 2017.

The next time this object will close to Earth will be on January 12, 2070, when it’ll pass 37.9 lunar distances away.

Here's hoping we will all be there to watch the rerun of Rerun.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

The asteroid passing is fascinating and shows how little astronomers know about Jehovah's universe. Constantly new info to observe.

As for Fred Berry, he married 6 times to 4 different women and became a minister for Christendom in the 1990s and died in the next decade at 53 (from a stroke). He was a good example of the fact that a measure of physical fitness can be attained at any size, but his weight did contribute to his type 2 Diabetes.

I wish I could research (and find) the 2016 Watchtower which mentioned that Jehovah adds energy to the physical universe when necessary. I mentioned it to our Watchtower conductor on the day of that study. I brought it up to his wife recently, and she remembered that both she and her  husband had a discussion with some others at Bethel as to never having seen that in print (in a Watchtower) before.  Well, we can be sure it will come up in our theocratic info again. Other current items out of Bethel: AS of last week, there were 877 languages available on JW. org, and a new video is completed every day. No wonder I can't keep up.

Stimulating news, Sister Ross.  

41 minutes ago, kejedo said:

I wish I could research (and find) the 2016 Watchtower which mentioned that Jehovah adds energy to the physical universe when necessary. 

Every time  I hear scientists talking about how our sun is going to 'burn out' in 5 billion some years, I just role my eyes.:uhhuh:

When the stove starts dying down, I just toss some more logs on the fire.

Jehovah can just keep adding fuel to his big fiery furnace...indefinitely.^_^

Jehovah's Big Fiery furnace.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, kejedo said:

I wish I could research (and find) the 2016 Watchtower which mentioned that Jehovah adds energy to the physical universe when necessary.

Is this what you are thinking of?

*** w16 May p. 20 par. 11 Is the Bible Still Changing Your Life? ***
When we contemplate the physical universe, we realize that Jehovah has great power. For example, the sun changes five million tons of its matter into energy every second. Although only a small amount passes through our globe’s atmosphere, it is enough to provide adequate heat and light to sustain life on earth. (Ps. 74:16; Isa. 40:26) Jehovah is pleased to give an appropriate measure of power to his human servants when needed. (Isa. 40:29) Yes, God could even give us the strength to conquer every weakness without having to struggle with or learn from our mistakes. Why does he not do so?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This was from 2014

*** w14 7/1 p. 14 Can You See the Invisible God? ***
What can you learn about God from what you see in the physical universe? For one thing, the heavens reveal God’s power. Recent scientific evidence suggests not only that the universe is expanding but also that it is doing so at an ever faster rate! As you look up at the night sky, consider: What is the source of this energy driving the expansion and acceleration of the universe? The Bible tells us that the Creator has “vast dynamic energy.” (Isaiah 40:26) God’s creation shows us that he is “the Almighty”—the One “great in power.”—Job 37:23.

9 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Every time  I hear scientists talking about how our sun is going to 'burn out' in 5 billion some years, I just role my eyes.:uhhuh:

When the stove starts dying down, I just toss some more logs on the fire.

Jehovah can just keep adding fuel to his big fiery furnace...indefinitely.^_^

Jehovah's Big Fiery furnace.jpg

I feel the same way. How in the world do they think the sun could burn for so long anyway???

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

somehow my post got posted twice...

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

23 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I feel the same way. How in the world do they think the sun could burn for so long anyway???

I think that hydrogen is the most common element in the universe,  it would be a small thing for Jehovah to recharge His little star that is so important to us. ..

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

I think that hydrogen is the most common element in the universe,  it would be a small thing for Jehovah to recharge His little star that is so important to us. ..

I hope he charge it at night when we aren't using it....

:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Reminds me of the space agency from a small country that wanted to get the better of the United States.  Since the US was sending rockets to the Moon, this country decided they would send astronauts to the Sun!  In order to reduce the risk to their astronauts, this country decided they would send their rocket at night.

8 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Reminds me of the space agency from a small country that wanted to get the better of the United States.  Since the US was sending rockets to the Moon, this country decided they would send astronauts to the Sun!  In order to reduce the risk to their astronauts, this country decided they would send their rocket at night.

That'sa good a one...

You caught me off guard again with your avatar change,  I read the post and was like 'who's that? '...then looked closer. ..nice job.:D