JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2598 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

People are prepared for many things, winter storms, hurricanes, etc.

But how many people are "prepared" for a future storm of Depression?

Most who suffer from Depression just deal with the issue when it arises, but if you have a close friend or family member who suffers from depression or you personally are hit by this destructive "storm" sometimes, then why not put together a "FIRST AID KIT" so that you are prepared to endure it!

This idea comes from our loving Faithful & Discreet Slave who provided this great suggestion for teenagers who suffer from depression. But this First Aid Kit can bring some help and comfort for anyone of any age. So what a good idea to prepare now before the storm hits or if you are suffering right now, this First Aid Kit may bring you some help at just the right time. :crush:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FIRST AID KIT FOR EMOTIONS/DEPRESSION"

Awake! JAN 2017

If you suffer from depression, a practical suggestion to help you control your thoughts and feelings is to create what has been called an emotional first-aid kit. The kit, which can be adjusted as you see fit, might include the items on this page:

* Contact information of people to call when you feel down

* Favorite songs that are positive and upbuilding

* Inspirational sayings and encouraging articles

* A list of comforting and upbuilding sayings from the Bible, such as Psalm 34:18; 51:17; 94:19; Philippians 4:6, 7

* Mementos to remind you of people who love you

* A journal containing your positive thoughts as well as positive experiences you have enjoyed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And we can add other valuable items to this First Aid Kit, here is 1 other idea:

* Keep a collection of messages, cards, emails, letters, posts from JWtalk, texts, voice messages, thank you cards, etc, from those who have expressed their feelings for you! (tu)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

1 minute ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

"FIRST AID KIT FOR EMOTIONS/DEPRESSION"

Awake! JAN 2017

If you suffer from depression, a practical suggestion to help you control your thoughts and feelings is to create what has been called an emotional first-aid kit. The kit, which can be adjusted as you see fit, might include the items on this page:

* Contact information of people to call when you feel down  Check!

* Favorite songs that are positive and upbuilding Double check!

* Inspirational sayings and encouraging articles Check!

* A list of comforting and upbuilding sayings from the Bible, such as Psalm 34:18; 51:17; 94:19; Philippians 4:6, 7 Check!

* Mementos to remind you of people who love you Check!

* A journal containing your positive thoughts as well as positive experiences you have enjoyed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I got started on this soon after watching the GT video regarding the young sister counseled by the older sister.  A very good suggestion using God's Word to counteract negative thoughts.

And we can add other valuable items to this First Aid Kit, here is 1 other idea:

* Keep a collection of messages, cards, emails, letters, posts from JWtalk, texts, voice messages, thank you cards, etc, from those who have expressed their feelings for you! (tu)

Thank you Brother Neil for this thoughtful posts; helping me to "maintain my focus" as the storm approaches.

Brothers and sisters in the congregation can maybe get some index cards, drill a hole thru a corner and tie it together with some string. Then have it passed around the congregation with each person writing something encouraging that they like about the intended recipient. When the brother or sister is undergoing the bout of depression they can reflect on that little book and maybe see that they are valued

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

Brothers and sisters in the congregation can maybe get some index cards, drill a hole thru a corner and tie it together with some string. Then have it passed around the congregation with each person writing something encouraging that they like about the intended recipient. When the brother or sister is undergoing the bout of depression they can reflect on that little book and maybe see that they are valued

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That is a pretty cool idea. .Doing this for someone that is house bound or in the hospital would really show love for them and would certainly be encouraging. .

"That is a pretty cool idea. .Doing this for someone that is house bound or in the hospital would really show love for them and would certainly be encouraging. " Tim and Denise. 

I'm going to do just that! For a dear brother that is housebound! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is a bit like this - a pre-emptive kit of things to do when you feel those "depressive" thoughts start to hang around.

Think like this:  When I start feeling down, then I will do a), b), and c) etc.  You have to have the plan thought out in advance, so as soon as you feel those negative feelings (cognition) you know how to "behave".  This really helps in getting through that bout, because you can build really effective ways to re-route those negative paths in your brain.

That is why that First Aid Kit in our current Awake is fantastic!

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)