JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Just See Yourself..." a book by Thomas Walker

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to turn a book into an audiobook, beyond sitting and reading it aloud into a microphone?

There's a sister in my congregation that is now infirm enough that she cannot get to the meetings, and glaucoma mans she cannot read a book, even a zoomed in one. Some people have asked me if there's an audio version of JSY, and at the moment there is not.

I had given thought to making it an audiobook, or even a sound drama, but that would take the efforts of several people. Anyone know of any service that can do that, bearing in mind that I have zero money.

Does anyone know how to turn a book into an audiobook, beyond sitting and reading it aloud into a microphone?

There's a sister in my congregation that is now infirm enough that she cannot get to the meetings, and glaucoma mans she cannot read a book, even a zoomed in one. Some people have asked me if there's an audio version of JSY, and at the moment there is not.

I had given thought to making it an audiobook, or even a sound drama, but that would take the efforts of several people. Anyone know of any service that can do that, bearing in mind that I have zero money.

Maybe people here would be interested? Make a list of the parts that would need to be filled, audition voices, and find and publish info on how to set up a cheap recording 'studio' for reading. Make scripts for each part. It will still mean taking some time and energy to direct and cut the files.

Johan

Maybe people here would be interested? Make a list of the parts that would need to be filled, audition voices, and find and publish info on how to set up a cheap recording 'studio' for reading. Make scripts for each part. It will still mean taking some time and energy to direct and cut the files.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I did a bit of research and audio demos are work intensive.  Here's a snippet of what I found:

You will need all of the usual voiceover equipment: microphone, headphones, computer, and recording and editing software. In addition, you’ll need the book(s) you’ll be using for the demo. It’s best to practice them away from the mike first and then with the mike. Once you feel comfortable with the voice you will be using; you can start recording.

Remember, there are many factors in your studio that can affect sound quality. Wood floors often sound much better than carpet. A lot of wall hangings and furniture is not recommended as that can distort the sound. You want clear, concise sound, which often comes from a minimalistic decorated room. Ensure you are using a professional quality microphone, so you don’t risk a noisy recording. Finally, schedule your recording when there is the least amount of noise around you. For example, when the kids are out of the house or when the neighbors aren’t mowing their lawn or having a barbecue. If you have a soundproof studio, this may not be as much of an issue.

Remember your voiceover skills such as pacing and microphone techniques. Speak faster when there is anticipation or excitement, and slow it down when explaining a situation. When there are loud parts of the book, move your head away from the microphone. When you want the listener to experience a more intimate connection to the character, move your head close to the microphone. Angling your head will change sound as well, so play around with that as you pinpoint how the character should sound.

Wow! I have more greater respect for  the brothers at various branches who do audio for the Bible, books, WT and AW magazines! :bible2:

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I knew of an easier way to turn books into audiobooks. At first, I tried various accessibility methods in Kindle for Windows and Android, but neither were desirable or practical. I wasn't able to test it on an Amazon Fire Tablet either, apparently the text-to-speech is better there.

Brother Walker, I want to sincerely thank you for writing this story. I was finally able to relax and finish it on rides to and from the convention... thankfully I was already past the parts that left me a sobbing mess. :> You've taken most of the scriptural concepts and speculations that I've struggled to put into memory or visualize for my entire life, and condensed them into the language of my heart so that I can meditate and reason on them. From the bottom of my heart I thank you, which nobody else has ever been able to reach in the same way that your illustrations have. I hope that you'll still be writing thousands of years from now.

Spoilers: I found a few grammatical errors. :P These are the ones I remembered to write down.

Spoiler

"Give it a few more decades." Hugh grinned. <~~ This should be referring to Alec?

He tapped the blue envelope in Alec's Hand. <~~ This should be referring to Hugh?

Kasumi smiled a bit a looked around. <~~ Should be "and looked around".

When they woke up, Hugh and Kasumi found small footprints around their campsite. <~~ This should be Hugh and Megan? 

PS: There are so many correlations between Just See Yourself and this song, I couldn't get it out of my head while reading.

Edited by Myew

12 hours ago, Myew said:

Brother Walker, I want to sincerely thank you for writing this story. I was finally able to relax and finish it on rides to and from the convention... thankfully I was already past the parts that left me a sobbing mess.

In a good way, I hope. :) I have a fairly soft audience on this topic. 

12 hours ago, Myew said:

I hope that you'll still be writing thousands of years from now.

So do I, though I have no idea what I'll be writing about. (See Chapter Five) :blush:

1 hour ago, Dages said:

I check daily his blog to see if there is something new ^_^

I appreciate the traffic, but just so you know, JWTalk gets the first announcement when it comes.

• 1 month later...

This is a very good story.  I'm almost halfway through.  

One thing I really, really liked was:

Spoiler

The "undecided."  The ones that are rejecting Jehovah.  Having them grow old again is nearly inspired.  I never thought about how they would be and live, but this idea makes perfect sense.  Adam and Eve grew old because they withdrew from the source of everlasting life - Jehovah and his holy spirit.  Why should this be different?  Now, I do imagine if someone is really wicked, they will be dealt with immediately before they can harm or besmirch Paradise.  But, generally?  Oh yes, this.

Absolutely loved the idea of the World's Fair.  

Also, what is it about the appeal of airships?  Blimps?  Dirigibles?  Zeppelins?   Both our own Tom Walker and EK Jonathan had airships as a main feature in New World mass transit.  I can't remember if I was inspired by Jonathan's books or if I came about the idea independently, but I also imagined this as a very real idea.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

This is a very good story.  I'm almost halfway through.  

One thing I really, really liked was:

Reveal hidden contents

The "undecided."  The ones that are rejecting Jehovah.  Having them grow old again is nearly inspired.  I never thought about how they would be and live, but this idea makes perfect sense.  Adam and Eve grew old because they withdrew from the source of everlasting life - Jehovah and his holy spirit.  Why should this be different?  Now, I do imagine if someone is really wicked, they will be dealt with immediately before they can harm or besmirch Paradise.  But, generally?  Oh yes, this.

I felt the same way..

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/29840-just-see-yourself-a-book-by-thomas-walker/?do=findComment&comment=449630

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hide contents

Thank you for saying so. Judicial matters is the one thing that is very rarely talked about, and with few specifics. I had to invent something, and when i do that, I worry about reactions.

Absolutely loved the idea of the World's Fair.  

My answer to the question of being 'High-Tech' in the New World. ;-)

Also, what is it about the appeal of airships?  Blimps?  Dirigibles?  Zeppelins?   Both our own Tom Walker and EK Jonathan had airships as a main feature in New World mass transit.  I can't remember if I was inspired by Jonathan's books or if I came about the idea independently, but I also imagined this as a very real idea.

I had the idea written before I read it in EK Jonathan's book.

The airship has the unique position of being the only craft that can fly forever, whisper quiet, carry a huge load, almost emissions free; and be luxurious. It's only weakness in the world of today is that it's a long-term project that doesn't fly as fast as a Jumbo Jet. In a world where time is on our side, it's perfect.

Thanks for all the kind words, Shawnster. Hope you enjoy the ending.

I find the idea of growing old for the undecided most intriguing. When we submit ourselves to Jehovah's sovereignty we are allowing his holy spirit to heal us in all aspects ... some right away but others gradually as we move towards the end of the 1000 years. 

So on the other hand, if one is undecided they haven't yet immersed themselves fully in Jehovah's holy spirit or life giving waters ... I think it is a very viable option to keep on the table - along with many others too of course.

I've highlighted so many great points that inspire me and it helps me keep focused on our future rather than the storms around us right now. Loving these novels.

Thanks Brother Matt. (I mean that from my heart).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 hours ago, Dages said:

I'm wondering how the idea of the growing old for the undecided is really consistent with Isaiah 65:20 though.

I thought hard about that one, actually; when I was writing JSY. It made me wonder: Does that verse mean that people in the New System have a hundred years exactly to make up their minds?

I had two options. A hundred year clock, or the 'natural' ageing process. I picked this one for the reasons I've already gone into.

6 hours ago, Dages said:

Matt! The prequel, can we expect to read it this year?

Currently at about 40,000 words. I'd say I'm a little over a third done. By the end of the year? I'd say that seems reasonable.

23 hours ago, Dages said:

Ho, I just saw the English translation, I get it now :  For anyone who dies at a hundred will be considered a mere boy,

There is also a footnote that makes a whole lot more sense in this context.
" And the sinner will be cursed, even though he is a hundred years of age.* (* Or possibly, “And the one who falls short of a hundred will be considered cursed.” )"

On 9/6/2017 at 2:24 AM, Dages said:

I'm wondering how the idea of the growing old for the undecided is really consistent with Isaiah 65:20 though.

How is it inconsistent?

(Isaiah 65:20) 20 “No more will there be an infant from that place who lives but a few days, Nor an old man who fails to live out his days. For anyone who dies at a hundred will be considered a mere boy, And the sinner will be cursed, even though he is a hundred years of age.

Are you focused on the literal application of "old man?"  If so, then think about that today.  Some people look old even in their early years.  I know a 30 year old sister who has gray hair (she dyes it).  My uncle was bald in his 20s.  Sun and abuse to health can age a body quickly.  Yet we only refer to someone being old when they reach advanced age.  Plus, the older we get, the further off we push that idea of advanced age.   My grand-nephews think I'm old at 45 (they are 6 and 8).  I do not consider someone in their 50s old.  If someone dies at 70, plenty of people will say "he died young."

100 years of age will be considered quite young to someone 200 or 300 years old or older.  The aging process is beside the point.

On 9/5/2017 at 10:37 PM, Thomas Walker said:

Thank you for saying so. Judicial matters is the one thing that is very rarely talked about, and with few specifics. I had to invent something, and when i do that, I worry about reactions.

There are a number of areas where our ideas don't match.  This is to be expected.  I think you even noted in some instances where you wrote things a specific way for sake of story and that even you don't think Paradise will that way in all respects.  However, there are just as many (if not more) areas where our ideas line up nearly perfectly.  If I were to write a New System story, I dare say people will think I was plagiarizing your work.