JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Catholic Dominance Vs The Bible in East Timor

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2595 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Over the last week or two, we've studied how the Church put the Bible under lock and key, when it wasn't destroying it outright.

In 2008, this article came up in the news near here.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/catholic-dominance-intimidates-other-faiths#full

I would especially draw attention to the second paragraph in the article:

Nuns drove to the Pereira home and accused the family of selling their faith for cash. Mr Pereira protested. He said he was given only a Bible, which he and his wife read. Mr Pereira said the nuns were furious. "They told us: 'You can't study the Bible. If you read the Bible every day, you'll go crazy'," he said. "They said the Bible was for the catechist, the sisters, the priest and that's it. They said it wasn't for everyone."

After hearing about how the bible was forbidden to anyone outside the Clergy in the Dark Ages, it struck me as amazing that this was happening in 2005; and probably still today.

The tactics haven't changed in 2000 years.

On 17/2/2017 at 7:29 AM, Thomas Walker said:

After hearing about how the bible was forbidden to anyone outside the Clergy in the Dark Ages, it struck me as amazing that this was happening in 2005; and probably still today.

The tactics haven't changed in 2000 years.

In Spain, for many centuries the Catholic church forbade reading the Bible. Then when they had no longer power to forbid, they discouraged it. But in the last fifty years or so they have used a different strategy. They do encourage their parishioners to read the Bible, but then they produce Bible translation with obsolete and very stilted language. So people are soon tired and remain with the impression that the Bible is too complicated for them to understand.

I remember a Bible translation that all children carried to religion classes when I went to school. It's called "Nácar-Colunga". Even today I have difficulty to understand that version. It's not only the pompous language: the small and ugly font, the dull layout, even the weird color and unpleasant tact of the paper. My father used to say it was a bible designed to discourage people from reading it.

Edited by carlos

This is a good point Carlos: (tu)

"But in the last fifty years or so they have used a different strategy. They do encourage their parishioners to read the Bible, but then they produce Bible translation with obsolete and very stilted language. So people are soon tired and remain with the impression that the Bible is too complicated for them to understand."

I think that this is a good point, not just for the Catholic church and Spain, but for Christendom in general.

How is it that the Bible versions that are recommended and have the stamp of approval by various churches in Christendom like the Baptists, Pentecostals, 7th day Adventists, etc, are the old KJV or the NIV. I had never thought about this idea before that while Christendom has finally after centuries allowed and even finally encouraged Bible reading, they direct people to the versions that cause disinterest!

Its like a father who has never allowed his son the joy of riding a bike, but finally when the father has no choice because the son is now 18yrs old, the father gives the 18yr old son a little tricycle! The son now just gives up on ever riding a bike, he loses all interest! :(

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)