JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jiminy Cricket! Disney goes gay

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2560 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Just another reminder how depraved the world is. Do we really need to post those reminders on JWT?

To be honest, I sort of thought the news section served that purpose, in part. To show how rapidly progression of fulfillment of prophecy is taking place.

22 hours ago, Greg Dent said:

What is beauty and the beast? Its a woman that falls in love with an animal! Therefore bestiality.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the original Beauty and the Beast. It's a fairy tale about an ugly man that is transformed by the power of love. There isn't any suggestion of bestiality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Let's drop this mkay? :offtopic:

Oh my, that wasn't necessary.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I didn't even understand it. What is mkay?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Sorry.  I don't think it sounded brisk but apparently it did.   

We need to drop the subject about the Beauty and the Beast and bestiality.   That was not the point of this topic to begin with and we would rather not be discussing that particular subject any longer.  

I'm sorry, Richard, if you thought I was being rude.  Although I simply said let's drop the subject.

mkay... is a mispronunciation of ok.

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I'm sorry, Richard, if you thought I was being rude.  Although I simply said let's drop the subject.

I was trying to use some facts to clear up a misconception. I thought that's what we do here...my bad....

There are several topics that have caused divisions among many..For me it's my love of all things rainbow and in some places people have issues with the color purple. Part of my room is actually rainbows. I try to be careful when wearing rainbow accessories so as to not offend others (same with my cat ears I wear) but I figure it this way. Jehovah made the rainbow and He was here first. If it's in my personal space, that's between me and Jehovah. Agreeing to disagree is sometimes the wisest way to go. ^_^ 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Disney is an entertainment company that tries to promote family values. Of course, being a worldly company with worldly values we can't expect to agree with them all the time, and certainly we don't agree with them on the gay issue, but I don't think all the comments made here were fair or balanced.

It seems the most common theme in Disney movies is how love and friendship can overcome cultural and social differences. Other lessons children learn in Disney movies are to trust and love your friends, that people are more important than money, that a person's qualities are more important than his looks or that everybody deserves respect even if they are different. I think all those are positive values that we basically agree with.

There are some Disney movies I don't watch and the one with the gay scene will no doubt be one of them. But there are many other Disney movies that are real gems. Saying they are all "sex messages and phalic symbols all over" is simply untrue and unfair. To each his own.

I've noticed alot of innuendos and undertones in several shows made by several different companies... Part of the reason is because some of the writers/directors/creators are living alternative lifestyles themselves so they try to sneak subtle hints of those lifestyles into the shows... It's sad but not surprising... If we think things are bad now in the entertainment industry, just wait until this time next year... I wouldn't be shocked if it's get to where we can't even watch the weather for violence/immorality....

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

If he does know something about hidden messages in Disney movies, you can't expect a guy who used to work for Disney and is teaching animation to tell the truth about it. That's like asking the department of treasury if there are hidden messages in dollar bills (if it were true).

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Disney movies also had some racial overtones to them. People of color were often portrayed as offensive caricatures and stereotypes. Remember the black maiden that was always cleaning up the house with the mice running around? The movie Pocahontas tries to cover up the  brutal history of colonialization in America by giving a generation of children the impression that the conquest of the americas was a cheerful, cooperative effort between the Europeans and Native Americans, which is far from the truth.

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

6 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Disney movies also had some racial overtones to them.

I was shocked to learn about a Disney movie from 1946, "The Soung from the South" with black people singing happily while working the cotton patches. That movie was retired and today you cannot buy it anywhere from Disney. Not something they are proud of. But again, the context needs to be taken into account and people from other times cannot be judged by our current standards. I mean, who in America did not have racist views in the 40s?That's like saying that Jack London was a racist or that Shakespeare was a racist. Yes, they were, but everybody was at that time. They were a product of their time.

On the other hand, I don't think it can be said that Disney is a racist company today or that their movies in the last 50 years have promoted racism in any way. Magic, yes. Acceptance of gay lifestyle, now yes. But racism, no.

6 hours ago, carlos said:

I was shocked to learn about a Disney movie from 1946, "The Soung from the South" with black people singing happily while working the cotton patches. That movie was retired and today you cannot buy it anywhere from Disney. Not something they are proud of. But again, the context needs to be taken into account and people from other times cannot be judged by our current standards. I mean, who in America did not have racist views in the 40s?That's like saying that Jack London was a racist or that Shakespeare was a racist. Yes, they were, but everybody was at that time. They were a product of their time.

On the other hand, I don't think it can be said that Disney is a racist company today or that their movies in the last 50 years have promoted racism in any way. Magic, yes. Acceptance of gay lifestyle, now yes. But racism, no.

I'm not saying they are a racist company. I was just saying that some of their cartoons had racial overtones. Even some of their relatively recent movies portrayed some races in a negative light. I won't get into it though. I don't agree that everyone was racist back in the day. Some people are just good people and able to see past all the negativity and see the good in all people. Even if people are a product of their time, they have to put their racist views aside when making children's cartoons.

Edited by Brother Jack

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

Even if people are a product of their time, they have to put their racist views aside when making children's cartoons.

Only that's not possible.  The times mold people in such a way that they don't know or realize they have biased views that need to be set aside.  

When your crayon box only has 8 colors, you can use only 8 colors.  As you get more crayons, you can use more colors.  

Mark Twain's books were written during this time and are a product of the times.  Twain wasn't racist.  Yet his books today are regularly banned because of their "racist" undertones.  It wasn't wrong to use the "N" word in Twain's day, so he used it.  The times changed.  Twain shouldn't be condemned for not foreseeing how times would change.

The cartoon creators in the 1930s and 40s were incapable of setting aside viewpoints they did not know they had.  They simply were depicting the world as they thought it was.

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Only that's not possible.  The times mold people in such a way that they don't know or realize they have biased views that need to be set aside.  

When your crayon box only has 8 colors, you can use only 8 colors.  As you get more crayons, you can use more colors.  

Mark Twain's books were written during this time and are a product of the times.  Twain wasn't racist.  Yet his books today are regularly banned because of their "racist" undertones.  It wasn't wrong to use the "N" word in Twain's day, so he used it.  The times changed.  Twain shouldn't be condemned for not foreseeing how times would change.

The cartoon creators in the 1930s and 40s were incapable of setting aside viewpoints they did not know they had.  They simply were depicting the world as they thought it was.

I agree that some may live in a time where racist views are excepted. For example, in slavery times, blacks were considered equal to or lower than animals and people used this to justify slavery. Not all felt this way and I'm sure some that did knew deep down inside that it was wrong. No disrespect but you can't vouch for Mark Twain and say he wasn't racist when you didn't know him. I don't blame people for banning his books. I read his books and was called the N word too many times to remember growing up, and if I had children I wouldn't want them reading books with that word in it either. I'm pretty sure many of those racist people in the 30s and 40s had enough sense to know that their view points were wrong. When I was in the world, I knew plenty of racist people who chose not to teach their kids their views on race because they knew in their hearts that it was wrong.

4 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

No disrespect but you can't vouch for Mark Twain and say he wasn't racist when you didn't know him.

You seem to imply that it's OK to say he was a racist even though you didn't know him.  Am I misunderstanding you?  Why would this work in only one direction and not the other?

I cannot comprehend how anyone can read Twain's work and think he is a racist.  

The "n" word is used in Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" and that is considered one of the most anti-racist books of modern literature.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)