JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Left-handed weirdness

Someone mentioned poor handwriting in another thread. This is something that I have always struggled with. At school we were given fountain pens and my work just became a giant smudge!

But it's some sort of weird partial-ambidextrousness. I would throw darts with my right hand then write the score with my left. I kick better with my right foot but am not bad with my left. Out of necessity I taught myself to paint equally well right-handed when up a ladder. (Also works on the ground.)  And I can saw a piece of wood equally badly with each hand.

(Edit: Ever seen Ronnie O'Sullivan play snooker? Amazing.)

Any other handed weirdness?

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I write the alphabet like a left handed person, with my hand over what I am writing. 

When I write numbers, it is like a right handed person. 

I have a callus on my left hand, second finger. With the computer, it is sort of getting lesser! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

12 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Ever seen Ronnie O'Sullivan play snooker?

A brother was teaching me how to play snooker, it's an interesting game. He preferred 3 cushion billiards so he taught me how to play that too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBJqFeJstg&feature=youtu.be

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 6 months later...
On 02/03/2017 at 4:17 PM, ChrisTheConfused said:

But it's some sort of weird partial-ambidextrousness. I would throw darts with my right hand then write the score with my left. I kick better with my right foot but am not bad with my left. Out of necessity I taught myself to paint equally well right-handed when up a ladder. (Also works on the ground.)  And I can saw a piece of wood equally badly with each hand.

(Edit: Ever seen Ronnie O'Sullivan play snooker? Amazing.)

Any other handed weirdness?

I believe it's called cross dexterity or "mixed handedness". I am the same. I am not quite ambitious dexterous, but almost. I use different hands for different tasks. I used to write with my left as a child but later switched to right. I'd swing a hammer, racket or sword with my left, throw with my left, use a pool/snooker cue with my left,, brush teeth with my right, throw darts with my right. I can use scissors in both, golf clubs and baseball bats with both. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

If I could sign two languages at the same time would I be ambilingual?

If you type with both hands are you stereotyping? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/2/2017 at 11:17 AM, ChrisTheConfused said:

Out of necessity I taught myself to paint equally well right-handed when up a ladder.

I knew a brother who could start with the paintbrush in either hand while cutting in an 8' ceiling and hand the brush off to the other hand without stopping his brush stroke - and he didn't need a ladder, at 6'7" he could do this standing on the floor.

I always thought it was odd to say a person played guitar "left-handed" because he strummed with the left hand when all the fret work is being done with the right hand - just like a righty strums with the right hand but does the fret work with his left ..... seems to me the more complex moves come to the hand on the frets.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My left handed curiousness is automatically noticing left handed people when I see them on tv, whatever. 

Also, the lump on my finger from gripping that pen, etc, is going away! That is excellent! 

Bad news, my handwriting, never excellent, is getting worse! Use of computer. My brain is being retired. When I hand write, I make keyboard mistakes! (I'm one of those hand over what I'm writing, except for when I write numbers) 

i want to hand write notes for the assemblies, but am worried about reading it. It seems the only thing I write, by hand is my name!

(Astrid, I have your notes downloaded, and ready!) now, if my hand and brain will cooperate!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

My father was left handed and got beat by the teacher in school for it. He tought himself to be ambidextrose. He could write with both hammer with both I was right handed but had dyslexia so my had writting is aweful. Common with that problem. Its so bad I cannot read what I write so I print slash write everything. but I hate it. I hardly write anything any more.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

4 hours ago, Greg Dent said:

My father was left handed and got beat by the teacher in school for it. He tought himself to be ambidextrose. He could write with both hammer with both I was right handed but had dyslexia so my had writting is aweful. Common with that problem. Its so bad I cannot read what I write so I print slash write everything. but I hate it. I hardly write anything any more.

My mother should have been left-handed.  Her parents forced her to use her right hand from a young age.  She would sweep the floor right handed as she was taught to do, but if she held a baseball bat she would swing it left handed. I suppose because swinging a bat was something her parents did not teach her to do.  

My mom was a lefty, she got her knuckles cracked with a stick if she tried writing left handed.

I am a lefty, as is my brother Don.

I made a big effort while in school to teach,  rather, to train myself to be able to use both paws equally well. At one time I could throw a baseball almost as far righty as I could lefty. I could bat from either side of the plate, being tall and long armed I played a pretty good first base...not much got by me...

In my work career,  being ambidextrous came in handy.  I can start nuts or bolts with either hand, I can weld with either hand, I always pushed myself just that much more to be able to use righty tools that were the most common.

I use a scissors with my right hand, I can swing a hammer with either side, I can write with both hands at once,  I  shoot handguns with my left hand but shoot rifles with my right side...I also use both feet to drive in an automatic transmission vehicle,  but that is a different story. .

I don't really recall having much difficulty being a lefty, I was, in a way, proud to be in the  'different' 12 to 15% of the population that are lefties,  it was /is a bit of a challenge at times but that is ok, I don't mind a challenge now and then. .

Terrible that left handed children were punished. These issues stemmed from the old chuches largely I bet, they would cane and beat left handed children because he "devil was in them". Not only is hat not in the Bible, but I was reading the book of Judges recently as a part of my daily reading (going cover to cover), and it mentioned that Jehovah used a left handed prophet. It's a great scripture to show someone who would advocate for left handedness being a "sin".(As there are still a couple of rare people out there today who do so..thought usually nut balls..) 

7 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

I am a lefty,

It's easier for a right handed person to sit next to a left handed person at a crowded dinner table. When the elbows are flying, it's safer too...:)