JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope Open to Married Men Becoming Priests

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2575 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/europe/pope-married-men-priests/index.html

Didn't quite read the whole thing because I don't have time, but he's saying that the shortage of priests are a "enormous problem" for the Church and to offset that, he's willing to break a tradition dating back centuries.

My hope was that his reasoning is based on the Bible, specifically where Paul wrote that celibacy is a demonic teaching, but I don't think that's the case.

Edited by Bob

2 hours ago, timpin said:

who placed ?   ...   must be reading   ...   http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017047 

That's the exact article I was thinking about when I read that this morning. It timely if we run into any Catholics in our ministry who may find that of interest.

2 hours ago, timpin said:

who placed ?   ...   must be reading   ...   http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2017047 

That's the exact article I was thinking about when I read that this morning. It timely if we run into any Catholics in our ministry who may find that of interest.

Well, to be fair the Catholic church never claimed that celibacy is a Bible requirement for priests. They always admitted it was just a temporal rule with a practical purpose: to avoid Church properties to be inherited by priests' children. It's just an organizational rule and the pope has the authority to cancel it at any time.

Interesting that there's so much shortage of priests that they are considering changing it, though.

21 minutes ago, carlos said:

Well, to be fair the Catholic church never claimed that celibacy is a Bible requirement for priests. They always admitted it was just a temporal rule with a practical purpose: to avoid Church properties to be inherited by priests' children. It's just an organizational rule and the pope has the authority to cancel it at any time.

Interesting that there's so much shortage of priests that they are considering changing it, though.

Well, I believe they used the scripture that one could serve the lord "without distraction" as pretext for it. 

But the question remains why would they make it a rule when (1) the alleged first pope was married, Peter, and when Paul clearly stated that forbidding to marry is a demonic teaching?

7 hours ago, Bob said:

Well, I believe they used the scripture that one could serve the lord "without distraction" as pretext for it. 

But the question remains why would they make it a rule when (1) the alleged first pope was married, Peter, and when Paul clearly stated that forbidding to marry is a demonic teaching?

Really, they used a scripture? That in it's self is phenominal. :lol:

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 hours ago, timpin said:

44 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Isn't it incredible how our magazine is also talking about this? Like somebody knew.....

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no2-2017-march/celibacy/

how 'bout that   ...   GROAN

What I don't understand is since the popes are supposed to be infallible when it comes to doctrine, then what does that say about former popes when "pope" Francis says that he's open to change when it comes to priests being married. Does that mean that the former popes were wrong?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

What I don't understand is since the popes are supposed to be infallible when it comes to doctrine, then what does that say about former popes when "pope" Francis says that he's open to change when it comes to priests being married. Does that mean that the former popes were wrong?

The pope is only infallible when he speaks "ex cathedra" "from the seat of St. Peter". So if the previous popes didn't declare something from that position, then yes that Catholic Church and Catholics consider what any given pope says as fallible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk