JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Homeowners Associations? Any Bible principles that apply?

I just got a letter from our homeowner's Association (we live in a teeny tiny house in a teeny tiny addition, so I didn't realize we had one to begin with!) They are having a meeting soon to pick a president and a board. I am in new territory here, are there any principles that would keep me from being on a board or being the president? (Not that I want to, just curious since I can't find anything in the WT Library). 

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

My question is why do we have two topics, back to back, on the same subject?

which one do I reply to? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Just now, Old said:

which one do I reply to? 

This one, the other one has HOA fees...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

43 minutes ago, Old said:

which one do I reply to? 

She's campaigning already for presidency .. you know more exposure more votes LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

12 hours ago, shali said:

being the president?

...or the Grand High Platinum PooBaa....? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm the secretary in the one I live in. It just means I collect the dues each month and pay the insurance along with any lawn care or snow removal payments. It takes me about 15 minutes a month. The president makes sure tenets live up to the HOA rules given to each buyer of the Townhouses, and handles any insurance claims or problems. It also maybe takes him 15 minutes a month.  We have one meeting a year, to see if anyone else would like to be Secretary or president...... and nobody ever does. The meeting takes about 1/2 hour. I would place this on our "Christian might not want to do " meter at a zero..... but if your conscience says differently just don't volunteer. If the HOA rules have something in them you don't agree with you should have read them before you bought (they always give you a copy at closing). If you rent it doesn't apply because it's a Home OWNERS Association, not renters.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

i think one of the main problem with politics is the ELECTION into offices.becos,election engenders competition,egotism(self-centeredness),pride,hatred etc.all of these antagonise the fruitage of the Holy spirit.that is why it will not be wise for a christian to CONTEST for a position that requires electing of people - php 2:3-4.
that is why in the bible and in Jehovah's organization,qualified people are given offices based on APPOINTMENTS not ELECTIONS.so however harmless a situation might seem,voting for others or encourageing others to vote for us into an office is not adviceable for Jehovah's worshippers.

Sent from my TECNO P9 using Tapatalk

If the laws regarding homeowner's associations in the US are similar to those here, you have no choice but to be the president or secretary when it's your turn. Only elderly people are exempt. :)

The Bible principles applying depend on what responsibilities the president has. Usually, everything a president has to do is to make sure everyone pays their quotas and to call the insurance company if any repair is necessary. In the communities that hire an administrator to take care of those chores, a president doesn't have much to do, except authorizing some payment. At first sight I can't find any Bible principle that discourages those tasks.

Thanks everyone. The President and rest of the board seem to be volunteer jobs, no campaigning or elections.  Someone told me that they showed up for a meeting and was made secretary on the spot. I was afraid to attend the meeting for fear that would happen. I'm good with bookwork and communication and very organized and have an extra 15 minutes a month so I might consider going to the meeting and see what all it might involve. The only thing our dues goes to is maintainence of a retention pond and the sign as you come into the addition. Now I'm not so afraid to go.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Is there enough money in the budget for a throne,  crown and scepter? 

I'm currently the Treasurer of our apartment complex. However because of the monthly meetings and other schedules I'm having to lose valuable time in the process. Hence I have intimated the President of the association of my intention to resign by the end of May. 

paradise.eternity.glory