JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1383 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, retroHelen said:

That video of the Russian Othodox idea of a Christening - if you did that in UK you would be arrested and charged with 'shaking the baby' as babies have died of 'shaken baby syndrome', easily suffer trauma with large soft heads and internal tissues

That brings to mind the question of circumcision.

Would one living in the UK be arrested and charged? I understand they are charged in the case of female circumcision. ( a loathsome practice) But what about male circumcision? Has this come up in the courts?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Yes it has, but mostly for Muslim cases. The courts do not look favourably on it, but it is dealt with only if it comes to court because one parent disagrees with the other parent's decision and on a case by case basis. There is no actual law against it generally, though many judges at present feel that there is enough education now to dissuade parents from 'mutilating their children' without their consent.

Female mutilation/circumcism can be life threatening and needs surgery again and again for giving birth and sometimes prevents natural urination, so that is more nasty and mutilating as important and useful parts of the body are unnecessarily removed and can leave a woman with a painful life.  Jehovah would not leave a man like that for the rest of his life,  but it is not necessary since  Jesus mediated a new covenant - so could be classed as unnecessary mutilation, but Jews and Muslims argue that it is anti-semitic as this is 'scriptural' whereas the female version is not from any 'scripture' and is just from a 'controlling' culture.

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union is criticizing Russia over its nationwide ban on the Jehovah’s Witnesses religious denomination, saying all must be able to practice their religion without interference.

Tuesday’s EU comment follows the ruling of the Russian Supreme Court, which rejected an appeal against the ban.

The rejection of the religious group’s appeal allows Russia to liquidate the 395 Jehovah’s Witnesses congregations and seize their property. The group claims about 170,000 adherents in Russia.

The EU said: “Jehovah’s Witnesses, like all other religious groups, must be able to peacefully enjoy freedom of assembly without interference.” It added that Russia was bound by its constitution as well as its international commitments to provide such guarantees.

(Columbia Daily Tribune)

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Prominent Russian Punk-Rocker Defects To U.S. Over Jehovah's Witnesses Ban

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-punk-chistyakov-defects-u-s-jehovah-witnesses/28650645.html

Prominent Russian punk-rocker Fyodor Chistyakov says he has decided not to return from the United States, citing Russia's new ban on the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

A member of the religous denomination since the mid-1990s, Chistyakov told Novaya Gazeta in a telephone interview from New York published on July 31 that he "has no other choice" than to stay in the United States.

"I cannot openly follow my religion [in Russia] now. And that is a trauma itself even when I am not in jail, although incarcerations are taking place already," he was quoted as saying.

15 minutes ago, JW-Ind said:

Prominent Russian Punk-Rocker Defects To U.S. Over Jehovah's Witnesses Ban

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-punk-chistyakov-defects-u-s-jehovah-witnesses/28650645.html

Prominent Russian punk-rocker Fyodor Chistyakov says he has decided not to return from the United States, citing Russia's new ban on the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

A member of the religous denomination since the mid-1990s, Chistyakov told Novaya Gazeta in a telephone interview from New York published on July 31 that he "has no other choice" than to stay in the United States.

"I cannot openly follow my religion [in Russia] now. And that is a trauma itself even when I am not in jail, although incarcerations are taking place already," he was quoted as saying.

From the life style of punk rockers that I was aware of, I wouldn't think one could be a punk rocker and a JW?

Anyone know for sure what this means:

[A 2009 documentary called Beware: Jehovah’s Witnesses branded Chistyakov "a brainwashed sectarian."

Nol was popular in the Soviet Union, and then in its former republics, in the late 1980s and the 1990s. ]

Are they saying that a documentary by JW's branded "Chistyakov "a brainwashed sectarian?

2 hours ago, M&M said:

Are they saying that a documentary by JW's branded "Chistyakov "a brainwashed sectarian?

The way I understood it, in a documentary from 2009 called "Beware: Jehovah's Witnesses", Chistyakov was branded a "brainwashed sectarian"

2 hours ago, M&M said:

From the life style of punk rockers that I was aware of, I wouldn't think one could be a punk rocker and a JW?

Not everybody necessarily lives the lifestyle represented by others from the same handicraft, like there are Jehovah's Witnesses builders and bricklayers that don't curse and drink all the time.. but what I wonder about is what the content of his "punk music" is supposed to be without promoting anarchist thinking or rebellious attitudes.

Then again, there were many "famous", so-called Jehovah's Witnesses whose public behaviour I found questionable, but we just keep doing our thing and don't judge I suppose..

7 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

The way I understood it, in a documentary from 2009 called "Beware: Jehovah's Witnesses", Chistyakov was branded a "brainwashed sectarian"

Could be, that makes sense. Thanks.

I visited his YouTube videos, and his music is far from what I would call punk rock..he plays guitar and accordian..some instrumental..clean cut hair style..sometimes red-ish..sometimes black. He advertises a tour in U.S.June, 2017.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

13 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

I visited his YouTube videos, and his music is far from what I would call punk rock..he plays guitar and accordian..some instrumental..clean cut hair style..sometimes red-ish..sometimes black. He advertises a tour in U.S.June, 2017.

I think he found his own group and stopped playing punk rock music. 

Interesting bio here: http://russia-ic.com/people/general/c/608

"Chistyakov spent about a year in prison and then was sent for compulsory treatment in psychiatric clinic, where spent one more year. In 1995 Fyodor Chistyakov joined the religious organization of Jehovah Witnesses, which literally rescued him, according to the musician himself. In 1997 Fyodor Chistyakov started his solo career."

They can say Jehovah's Witnesses "brainwashed" him, but hey, if that's what it takes to turn your life around....  Good on you brother!  I like his music.

5 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Interesting bio here: http://russia-ic.com/people/general/c/608

"Chistyakov spent about a year in prison and then was sent for compulsory treatment in psychiatric clinic, where spent one more year. In 1995 Fyodor Chistyakov joined the religious organization of Jehovah Witnesses, which literally rescued him, according to the musician himself. In 1997 Fyodor Chistyakov started his solo career."

They can say Jehovah's Witnesses "brainwashed" him, but hey, if that's what it takes to turn your life around....  Good on you brother!  I like his music.

I suppose you could say his brain was washed clean. :toothbrush:

(Romans 12:2) And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
(Ephesians 4:23, 24) And you should continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude, 24 and should put on the new personality that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.
(1 Corinthians 6:11) And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

On 29/07/2017 at 8:10 PM, Thesauron said:

The EU said: “Jehovah’s Witnesses, like all other religious groups, must be able to peacefully enjoy freedom of assembly without interference.” It added that Russia was bound by its constitution as well as its international commitments to provide such guarantees.

Russia going against the EU, causing political tension which may spark something greater which may get the attention of the UN or Anglo-American world power... and all revolved around a religious issue. 

Sounds like tribulation fuel. 

propaganda:  (n) 1. information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, deliberately used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view; 

2. information deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc. 

Case in point from jw-russia.org:

The Man Detained in Kaliningrad was Never a Jehovah's Witness

July 31, 2017

On July 26, 2017, the mass media reported the detention of a man suspected of possession of drugs in Kaliningrad. It is not true that he is a follower of the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The man shown in the news was at the services of this religion in Kaliningrad, but long ago he stopped all communication with believers. Accordingly, he was never a Witness of Jehovah, much less a "leader of the Kaliningrad cell" of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Jehovah's Witnesses consider non-medical use of drugs and tobacco smoking as a serious sin, since the Bible teaches us to respect life and health as gifts from God, and also tells us to love our neighbor. The drug trade is also incompatible with the Christian morality of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Apparently, Russia and her minions are not satisfied with the banning of jw.org or the ban on our worship.  So they hope that the spreading of disinformation will be the proverbial "nail in the coffin" for Jehovah's servants there, eh?  (Stalin, Hitler, Banda, Duplessis and others thought so too, but their dead now having failed to stamp out the preaching work. And God's organization of kingdom preachers have increased substantially over the decades on a greater scale than ever before--and will continue to do so to His praise and glory!) 

https://www.jw.org/en/news/legal/by-region/russia/international-response-supreme-court-decision-jehovahs-witnesses/

Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide are deeply disappointed that with its arbitrary decision, Russia’s Supreme Court has effectively banned their worship throughout the country. In their responses, international government agencies and officials expose Russia for unjustly declaring Jehovah’s Witnesses “extremists” and for ignoring its own constitutional and international commitments to protect religious freedom. The European Court of Human Rights has yet to hear this matter and will hopefully reverse the nationwide ban.

Russian human rights commissioner: "The European Court does not meet our view on justice… Our system is more perfect than the European one."

Russia-- in all of its' arrogance-- has "thumbed her nose" at Jehovah.  Is it reasonable to conclude that they will respect any decision by the ECHR?

Edited by Omo_Yeme

I did not see this posted in this thread. Can this article be verified as legit or is this fake news:

The French Conspiracy With The Russian Orthodox Church That Destroyed The Jehovah’s Witnesses

JOSHUA GILL

Religion Reporter

8:40 PM 07/23/2017

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/23/the-french-connection-how-the-russian-orthodox-church-and-the-putin-administration-colluded-with-a-french-ngo-to-destroy-the-jehovahs-witnesses/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WHAT DOES TRUMP THINK ABOUT PUTIN’S WAR ON RELIGION?

http://www.newsweek.com/what-does-trump-think-about-putins-war-religion-649738

In a number of cases the courts, relying on poorly and unprofessionally conducted evaluations, concluded that Jehovah’s Witnesses’ literature could be defined as “extremist,” referring as it did to the faith as the only true faith.

Many assume that the suppression of religious dissent automatically benefits the ROC. But that is not necessarily the case. Representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate are torn by irreconcilable contradictions.

On the one hand, there are those who would like to prohibit all sects legislatively and in that way eliminate all competitors. (They are particularly troubled by the evangelicals in the Far East, who at this point exceed the number of the Orthodox.)

On the other hand, many experts note that as soon as the word “sect” is introduced into the law, half the Orthodox communities could be prohibited. Rank-and-file priests and believers have stated that the anti-missionary statutes of the Yarovaya Law could also be used to prevent Orthodox sermons and missions among youth.

2 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

I did not see this posted in this thread. Can this article be verified as legit or is this fake news:

The French Conspiracy With The Russian Orthodox Church That Destroyed The Jehovah’s Witnesses

JOSHUA GILL

Religion Reporter

8:40 PM 07/23/2017

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/23/the-french-connection-how-the-russian-orthodox-church-and-the-putin-administration-colluded-with-a-french-ngo-to-destroy-the-jehovahs-witnesses/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Daily Caller is an American news and opinion website based in Washington, D.C.  

It was founded by Tucker Carlson, a Libertarian conservative political pundit, and Neil

Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney...it was established - January 11, 2010.

The Daily Caller is a reputable news site  and has absolutely nothing to do with..."fake news."

The sites originator...Tucker Carlson...has a nightly one hour show...called The Tucker Show...

on Fox News at 6 p.m. eastern time.

Edited by nanceebgd46

spelling error

6 minutes ago, nanceebgd46 said:

The Daily Caller is an American news and opinion website based in Washington, D.C.  

It was founded by Tucker Carlson, a Libertarian conservative political pundit, and Neil

Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney...it was established - January 11, 2010.

The Daily Caller is a reputable news site  and has absolutely nothing to do with..."fake news."

The sites originator...Tucker Carlson...has a nightly one hour show...called The Tucker Show...

on Fox News at 6 p.m. eastern time.

P.S.  Reporter...Joshua Gill is a verified Daily Caller reporter!

Edited by nanceebgd46