JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1362 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On NPR radio today, Here & Now segment ,  "Russian Government Cracking Down on Jehovah's Witnesses".  6 minute interview.
The brother interviewed is third-generation JW.  His father spent 7 years in prison.  His mother spent 4 years in prison.  He spent 1.5 years in prison.
Regarding persecution, I'm summarizing his comment,  'Been there - Done that'  and 'I have no fear'. 
Hope you all can find this interview that aired today, April 28.

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510051/here-x26-now

The brother being interviewed is Yaroslav Silvusky. His father's life story is told in the latest Watchtower.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-august-2017/endurance-under-trial/

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Thank you for mentioning this wonderful experience by Bro Pavel Sivulsky snr.  I really appreciated his family's struggles and endurance throughout those Soviet years, and how encouraging for all of us, especially our family in Russia.

5 hours ago, Doug said:

On NPR radio today, Here & Now segment ,  "Russian Government Cracking Down on Jehovah's Witnesses".  6 minute interview.

The brother interviewed is third-generation JW.  His father spent 7 years in prison.  His mother spent 4 years in prison.  He spent 1.5 years in prison.

Regarding persecution, I'm summarizing his comment,  'Been there - Done that'  and 'I have no fear'. 

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510051/here-x26-now

10 hours ago, Doug said:

JW segment starts at 15 minute mark

Edited by Margaret

Delete please someone already posted info

Not a day has gone by since the ruling that I haven't thought about our brothers and sisters. Sometimes it makes me angry to think about the injustice our brothers are going through. Then I remember the special talk for this year. How fitting and timely that talk was. It amazed me to see that our brothers were able to hear that talk before the ruling. There is no doubt that Jehovah is watching over them and prepared them for this. He'll take care of this issue in his own time and way.

It's amazing to see how the Governing Body really cares for them. That shows us that they really do love us as individuals and care for our well being. This weeks watchtower is fitting. Truly, they deserve honor and respect. We should keep supporting them the same way they support us.

5 hours ago, futurepromise said:

https://youtu.be/F12cl_lODM4

It is the audio of the podcast

Thank you for the segment.  We must  take encouragement that Jehovah's name is being declared in such a grand way  - mainstream media has taken up this story and that  has resulted in a great Witness.  I felt hurt to think of the brothers and sisters crying as they left the Bethel  they had built with their own hands and dedicated to Jehovah with such love - but we must all remember that Jehovah OWNS the earth, it's his footstall - in his due time he will take back what is his.  

Now, regarding the new tenants, ...  I won't say whoever takes the Bethel HQ in Russia will have The Curse of Dagon upon them... I will just say they better watch their hands and feet... Not a threat, just sayin' ...  piles is a most unpleasant condition...

B)

Do they have Jerboas in Russia?

Axe6hf.png

Edited by sunshine

The truth will set so many more free ... as the injustice becomes well know and meditated on.

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Ha ha!!  It backfired on them

8 hours ago, LindaViktoria said:

A sister in our congregation who is from Russia said today on the meeting that her friend in Russia  who is also a sister told her:

when I came to work after the ban, so many of my colleagues asked me: how can they ban you witnesses? Its unbeliveable! 

She said that the witnesses havent experienced this much interest in the truth for many years.

Badgering the WitnessesRussia bans the Jehovah’s Witnesses, just as the Soviet Union did

The Russian Orthodox church does not like competition

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21721395-russian-orthodox-church-does-not-competition-russia-bans-jehovahs-witnesses-just

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Economist has coined a new term. I will use it. It works better than 'Christendom.'

"The ruling is a testament to the growing influence of the Russian Orthodox church, especially of a radical wing who see the Jehovah’s Witnesses as a dangerous sect that deviates from the official version of Christianity."

The 'official version.'

I haven't said 'Christendom' in years. Instead, I've said 'traditional.' No more. Now the churches represent 'the official version.' 

Just who are the officials?

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

I really appreciate the npr podcast and the you tube link. Faith strengthening. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I understand the judge is supposed to provide a written statement as to his reasoning for this judgement within 5 working days, Has this happened yet. I have not seen anything yet?

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

1 minute ago, Hartley said:

I understand the judge is supposed to provide a written statement as to his reasoning for this judgement within 5 working days, Has this happened yet. I have not seen anything yet?

We have better reasoning, I doubt he would brother hartley :) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

*** w92 8/15 p. 32 The Archbishop Cannot Cope! ***  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ehKWAv2bxBRktoWlFOQzZWUUU/view

The Archbishop Cannot Cope!
LAST year, a consistory (solemn council of cardinals) was organized to discuss certain matters that are of great concern to the Catholic Church. One of these, according to the newspaper Il Sabato, is “the aggressiveness of the sects.” However, the newspaper said: “It should be no problem for the cardinals to reach agreement on this point. All are in accord that there is a need for a more in-depth study of the phenomenon of new religious movements and also a need to prevent, as far as possible, their expansion.”
Evidently, though, “the aggressiveness of the sects” is not just a problem in Italy. Il Sabato reports: “While visiting the Vatican recently, Archbishop Kirill of Smolensk [one of Russia’s oldest cities] . . . asked the pope for ecumenical aid in coping with the overwhelming growth of Jehovah’s Witnesses and similar groups in the Soviet Union.”
In the first century, leaders of established religion had similar complaints when Christianity was spread aggressively by its adherents. On one occasion indignant Jews complained to the city rulers: “These men that have overturned the inhabited earth are present here also”! (Acts 17:6) Back then, religious leaders tried hard to stop the spread of Christianity, but they failed. Today also, any effort to stop the spread of true Christian doctrine is doomed to failure. God himself promises: “Any weapon whatever that will be formed against you will have no success, and any tongue at all that will rise up against you in the judgment you will condemn. This is the hereditary possession of the servants of Jehovah, and their righteousness is from me.”—Isaiah 54:17.

Archbishop Kirill of Smolensk is the current Patriarch Kirill. He took the office on February 1, 2009. For the first time a Russian court recognized literature of Jehovah's Witnesses as extremist on September 11, 2009 (Rostov Regional Court), though just a year earlier, in 2008, the Rostov Regional Prosecutor Office found no signs of extremism in it.

On 30.04.2017 at 2:31 PM, TrueTomHarley said:

Economist has coined a new term. I will use it. It works better than 'Christendom.'

"The ruling is a testament to the growing influence of the Russian Orthodox church, especially of a radical wing who see the Jehovah’s Witnesses as a dangerous sect that deviates from the official version of Christianity."

The 'official version.'

I haven't said 'Christendom' in years. Instead, I've said 'traditional.' No more. Now the churches represent 'the official version.' 

Just who are the officials?

Not for nothing the FDS use 2 different terms - Christianity and Christendom - the first for the true Christian religion and the other for the so called Christian religions (that deviated from the first century followers of Jesus.

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

The term "Christendom" has been used in the English language since the year 900 CE.  Non-witness users believe it refers to all places that claim to follow the teachings of Christ (as espoused by nominal churches).  To the average citizen, Christianity is the faith and Christendom is where it is practiced.  We use the term differently.  To us, Christendom is the place where the church version of imitation Christianity is taught.