JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1383 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Brother Andrej posted this interesting information:

Letters to Putin should start with "Esteemed Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin!". 
Also when referring to the one we're writing to "you" should be with capital Y, You. 
Those are some rules of Russian correspondence

Thank you Andrej, can you or anyone else explain some of these Russian grammatical rules, such as why is there an exclamation mark placed after the name/title of the salutation?  Why is a capital "Y" used every time "you" or "your" is written, is this only when addressing government leaders or for even letters between friends? 

Sorry to repost this but since there are so many posts, maybe those who have answers to these questions didn't see it. Thank you Brother Irmantas for your previous post! And thanks for any help anyone else can provide. :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

OK so I wrote; 

Vladimir Putin President of Russia

Dear Sir,

As one of Jehovahs witnesses I write concerning the recent change in attitude by the law authorities in Russia suggesting that Jehovahs Witnesses are an extremist group and considered a threat to other people within your country.............

Feeling more comfortable now as its a formal term and not a friendship one and shows respect

I wonder if addressing him Mr. President instead of Dear Sir would be better since I guess he's not all that dear to you. Would this be correct?

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Sorry to repost this but since there are so many posts, maybe those who have answers to these questions didn't see it. Thank you Brother Irmantas for your previous post! And thanks for any help anyone else can provide. 

Capital Y is used when addressing the recipient, as a standard in formal correspondence. It's a way of showing respect. It's not only requirement when writing to government officials, but it's used in ALL official correspondence.

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

Thanks Brother Andrej! (tu)

So just to confirm, every word in the letter such as "You, "Your", "Yourself", etc, should have a capital Y?

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

As was stated, address the letters  exactly  as shown in the PDF file. The Governing Body already gave us our instructions,  they intend that we follow them  precisely,  to the letter....

For some reason, the thought  'he did it just so' keeps coming to mind...

These people are persecuting my Brothers and Sisters;  they are not 'dear'  to me...

If we need to put an exclamation mark after someones name, maybe someone there can absolutely confirm that,  also somebody could call Branch and ask them..

Why calling the Branch? The instructions are already provided. 

We don't need instruction on the instructions. 

Write respectful letter and this will be sufficient. 

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I thought about adding something to the extent of : I appreciate the fairness Russia has shown in past legal matters, and I pray you continue to act in such fairness. (Then perhaps reference law numbers and bring out how the federation of Russia is respected for such laws.)  

Hoping a mixture of commendation and friendly reminders of their legal obligations might help them realize how much of a spectacle they are and how many people are taking notice of their actions...even outside their country...

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

2 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Special report on JWB

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_broadcasting/f6/jwb_E_201703_14_r720P.mp4

Very sobering.

Elders sent a text to everyone to read the jw.org news and to get writing a letter.

Does anyone have the transcript of this special broadcast?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

42 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I wonder if addressing him Mr. President instead of Dear Sir would be better since I guess he's not all that dear to you. Would this be correct?

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

For me "Dear" is more of courtesy thing ... not necessarily indicating that he is dear to me. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

The instructions do implore us  to pay attention to our grammar and spelling, but that would be relevant to what you know according to your knowledge and language, they were implicit in saying to write in your own language unless you know Russian fluently, so if you address Mr. Putin in the way that you would in your own language, then that is doing just so.

2 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

For me "Dear" is more of courtesy thing ... not necessarily indicating that he is dear to me. 

Yes it's a salutation, to those we do not know, a mark of respect not of endearment.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I was feeling somewhat stressed out this day and lacking energy to even hold a pen to my hand, but I was truly encouraged by Brother Sanderson's comforting words to our Russian brothers and sisters on JWB.  And he used one of my favorite scriptures: Isaiah 41:10. (I could just about see his face radiating with holy spirit as he was speaking and I was smiling from ear-to-ear!)   I am now emboldened to write this letter as a testament to my faith in Jehovah and in support of our friends there while I'm humming this old chorus line:

Steadfast we all need to be

Far from this world we keep free.

As we feed on God's truth

And keep integrity.

Thank you Br. Jonathan for posting the link. :) 

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Does anyone have the transcript of this special broadcast?

I have it, ill post it in proper format in about 10 mins or so...
Edit: I apologize but I was so excited that i saw "Subtitles" that i did not see that they were for the March broadcast... There is no official transcript of the video on the website.

Edited by And_Ray

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

Thank you soooo much! At the end, Brother Sanderson sending message to Russian witnesses in Russian!!!

Wow, very touching, it brought tears to my eyes...

His message really showed the reality of the situation.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Wow, very touching, it brought tears to my eyes...

His message really showed the reality of the situation.

And the great tribulation so near (quoting him)

We all should reflect deeply on the times we are living in

Yes, it could well be, that this is not our last letter campaign ... hang on everyone ... we will see each other in paradise soon. 

Interesting they broadcast that knowing the site is banned in Russia, obviously they are sure the message will get to our brothers and sisters. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

A letter was read at the meeting this evening concerning the letter-writing campaign. I pray to Jehovah the authorities in Russia will listen when 8,000,000 letters arrive at their doorsteps.

For Jehovah is aware of the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish (Psalm 1:6).

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It looks like postage from the USA is about $1.35 for a standard letter. Does that sound right?

Using USPS postal calculator I come up with $1.15.

Someone want to verify?

https://postcalc.usps.com/

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Nnaemeka said:

A letter was read at the meeting this evening concerning the letter-writing campaign. I pray to Jehovah the authorities in Russia will listen when 8,000,000 letters arrive at their doorsteps.

Ahhh more than 8,000,000 I reckon, even the children are writing letters, and you aren't limited to one per official either. Can you imagine the Post Offices in Russia ... we are looking at a HUGEvolume.

$2.70 per letter for New Zealand residents.

Edited by Stormswift

I have decided to use the verses of 1 Timothy 2:1,2 but translated from the Russian Translation of their Bible and not our NWT. Maybe the language of their heart will hit closer...

2 I, first of all, ask you: pray, asking, interceding and thanks for all people, 2 for kings and for all in power, so that we can live peacefully and peacefully in piety and dignity.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

http://www.letterwritingguide.com/businessletterformat.htm

Is this the proper format that we should use?

Yes my dear, that's a perfect format for a letter, but remember we are being asked to only use one page .. so if the address takes up too much room, shorten it if you can.

Again, there is that feeling in the "air" that we have crossed another milestone in the last days

Things are changing very reapidly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia proves to be King of the North. 

4 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

I have decided to use the verses of 1 Timothy 2:1,2 but translated from the Russian Translation of their Bible and not our NWT. Maybe the language of their heart will hit closer...

2 I, first of all, ask you: pray, asking, interceding and thanks for all people, 2 for kings and for all in power, so that we can live peacefully and peacefully in piety and dignity.

Dear Sister,

We've been asked not to translate it unless we know Russian fluently to just write in our own language.  Hugs. x