JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1383 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I am going to try to write part of my letters in Russian: at least Salutation and Complimentay Closing. Suggestions, corrections welcomed.

Dasvidania, Tvoya sestra

.  

16 minutes ago, Samira said:

I put some thoughts together for our Letter........took some expressions from the jw.org instruction....

not finished now.....but only an idea......

We wish to let you know that we appreciate the laws of the Russian government that guarantee freedom of religion to all citizens. 

At the same time we hope that the Russian authorities will stop the legal action being taken against Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia so that our brothers and sisters can continue to come together peacefully for their Christian meetings without fear. 

More than 170,000 Witnesses facing be criminally prosecuted merely for meeting for worship, reading the Bible together, or talking to others about their faith

Jehovah’s Witnesses  are known worldwide for being good citizens and for our peaceful activities.

Our activity as Jehovah’s Witnesses and our publications  encourage love of God and neighbor, love for family, and respect for government. There is absolutely nothing “extremist” or criminal in our Bible-based publications.

The Bible tells us in Rom.13:1,2,6,7 to respect the Government and Laws of the country we are living in:

" Let every person* be in subjection to the superior authorities,+ + the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God.+ 2  Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God;

6  That is why you are also paying taxes; for they are God’s public servants constantly serving this very purpose. 7  Render to all their dues: to the one who calls for the tax, the tax;+ to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute; to the one who calls for fear, such fear;+ to the one who calls for honor, such honor "

Please, please .....rethink your planned actions against your peaceful subjects.

okay, only for grammar's sake, dear sister. Please look at the second sentence: More than 170,000 Witnesses...........can you insert wording to make this correct grammatically? I would love to imitate the tone of your letter--it's great!

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

One of the first things I was worried about (like others here) is that our letters won't reach Russia by the court date. However, if the Russian legal system is anything like ours, who knows what could happen between now and then. Jehovah could easily arrange a continuation or postponement. Hey--you never know! And in the meantime, our global brotherhood steps up and millions of letters come pouring in....................sigh........you gotta love it! (No really--it's all about love!)

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

6 minutes ago, JudyO said:

okay, only for grammar's sake, dear sister. Please look at the second sentence: More than 170,000 Witnesses...........can you insert wording to make this correct grammatically? I would love to imitate the tone of your letter--it's great!

don't worry.......my husband (British) will proof read it.......it's only a draft......

In Germany, every public authority has to read the letters from citizens and has to reply to it. I know, we are not citizens of Russia, but is there a rule, that the officials have at least to read the letters? If yes, I am really sorry for them :D 

Edited by juliansan

Am I the only one who's more excited about this than the memorial campaign?

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

My gut is telling me this is going to be the greatest Memorial campaign ever due to this global letter writing campaign! Time to gallop around "Jericho" before the message of judgment!? Rejoice in the hope! Rejoice in our inestimable privilege!

15 minutes ago, JudyO said:

One of the first things I was worried about (like others here) is that our letters won't reach Russia by the court date.

JudyO,

Dear sister Judy, I do understand your concern abut the timing, you are right, in some cases the letters may not reach to its destination on time but eventually it will anyway.  I am also sure that the governing body has thought about timing and despite that, we are encouraged/asked to participate in this essential campaign. I have nearly done my letter and I will show it to one of the elder who serves in our English speaking congregation for proofreading. Then, I hope tomorrow the letter will find its way to Russia, to Mr Medvedev. 

I hope it will do its job on time or later.

The idea of a group or congregation getting together to have a letter writing party sounds odd to me. My perception is that each individual should prayerfully consider each letter as they write it. Getting together in a group seems more festive than prayerful. Do I need my thinking adjusted on this?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Richard, no one mentioned a party. The OP of this sentiment mentioned a letter-writing campaign. Furthermore, parties aren't always festive - a search party for instance isn't.

Just like letter-writing for the ministry is also an activity for which we ask for Jehovah's guidance or blessing, I don't see why a couple of people cannot come together to write letters (that they have prayerfully pre-thought about) in one room. Perhaps even start the activity with a group prayer again.

Just now, And_Ray said:

Letters to Putin should start with "Esteemed Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin!".
Also when referring to the one we're writing to "you" should be with capital Y, You.
Those are some rules of Russian correspondence.

Okay, so I also had this in mind and was checking out the grammar mentioned earlier in the thread while you posted.  Is Dear Esteemed President Putin acceptable? And also, does anyone know if every You should be capitalized? And what about the word "Your" as in Your country...should it also be in caps?

You, your, yours, everything in possessive connection with the person you're addressing should be with capital Y.
And if I'm right, no, "Dear" is not acceptable when writing official letter.

Edit : can anyone confirm or deny my statement about using "Dear"? English is not my native tounge after all.

5 minutes ago, And_Ray said:

Letters to Putin should start with "Esteemed Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin!".
Also when referring to the one we're writing to "you" should be with capital Y, You.
Those are some rules of Russian correspondence.

Thank you. I was just going to ask about proper introductions. For instance, if writing to the Minister of Justice, should we write "Dear Minister of Justice," or "Dear Minister Alexander Vladimirovich Konovalov"? 

And what about the other addresses? Should they also be addressed as Esteemed Dmitry.....Medvedev? and Esteemed Yury Chayka? etc. What about the envelopes: Should they be addressed:

Prime Minister of Russia

Dmitry Anatolyevich Medvedev

etc?

Edited by JudyO