JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Letter Campaign Experience Thread!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2526 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'm following the multiple threads regarding the Letter Writing Campaign to Russia, and I thought we should have somewhere to add some experiences.

Sooner or later, this will wind down, and we'll be telling stories and experiences about this from here to GT. I thought it would be a good idea to collate some of the stats, some of the news articles, and some of the experiences.

Here's some of the highlights that I've gathered. if these things are in error, please let me know:

~oo00oo~

DHL Russia (a courier service) has stopped accepting documents (containing letters to officials) from the Philippines. These brothers will have to use the standard national post.

DHL in the Dominican Republic is giving a JW Discount on packages of letters to Russia.

Canada post has temporarily suspended acceptance of non-document shipments via Priority Worldwide destined for the Russian Federation.

International Stamps are selling out in several post offices (Confirmed in New York, unconfirmed for the UK.)

Some nations, such as Ghana, require phone numbers of the intended recipient to ship mail by express courier. Brothers in those lands have already been updated with phone numbers for all these addresses.

Several Post Office workers have come to recognize us when we come in, already aware of the campaign. (Specific experiences appreciated)

~oo00oo~

Anyone have any others they'd like to add?

Edited by Thomas Walker

I got the last of the stamps at our rural post office... There were 16 left. Took what I needed and passed the rest on. The two little towns over are also out and the large post offices in Columbus GA were out when one of our elders was trying to get stamps. I pre-addressed 300 envelopes for our congregation to use when they gathered to write tonight. All but 24 were used and they are being passed to some that didn't make it to the gathering.

I had a nice chat with the young lady at the post office. She asked if I was a stamp collector. I told her about the campaign and she was amazed. I may stop in this weekend to see if she is working and take her an invitation. I wish I had thought to have one with me when I went.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Thomas Walker said:

I'm following the multiple threads regarding the Letter Writing Campaign to Russia, and I thought we should have somewhere to add some experiences.

Sooner or later, this will wind down, and we'll be telling stories and experiences about this from here to GT. I thought it would be a good idea to collate some of the stats, some of the news articles, and some of the experiences.

Here's some of the highlights that I've gathered. if these things are in error, please let me know:

~oo00oo~

DHL Russia (a courier service) has stopped accepting documents (containing letters to officials) from the Philippines. These brothers will have to use the standard national post.

DHL in the Dominican Republic is giving a JW Discount on packages of letters to Russia.

Canada post has temporarily suspended acceptance of non-document shipments via Priority Worldwide destined for the Russian Federation.

International Stamps are selling out in several post offices (Confirmed in New York, unconfirmed for the UK.)

Some nations, such as Ghana, require phone numbers of the intended recipient to ship mail by express courier. Brothers in those lands have already been updated with phone numbers for all these addresses.

Several Post Office workers have come to recognize us when we come in, already aware of the campaign. (Specific experiences appreciated)

~oo00oo~

Anyone have any others they'd like to add?

19hrs ago. Great minds think alike. :) 

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

Request to Mods - if there's any amalgamations ... can Brother Matt's Thread be the leading thread? (You guys hear too much from me already - would be nice for some newer members to take the leads in some threads). 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

9 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Request to Mods - if there's any amalgamations ... can Brother Matt's Thread be the leading thread? (You guys hear too much from me already - would be nice for some newer members to take the leads in some threads). 

:whistling::whistling::whistling::D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On Monday March 27th in Santo Domingo Dominican Republic at the Sarasota Avenue office of DHL Express the security guard at the front door asked us "Are you here to deliver, receive or send letters to Russia?"

8 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Perhaps you were just out of ink? :whistling:LOL

Actually all new ink, Bluetooth wouldn't connect to my devices then when I tried to do it directly from my pc it printed faded or blank pages.   Last week my husbands cousin printed his itenarary  from his phone just fine, also a sister printed an application from my pc.   So as you can see why I was a lil suspicious:confused:

Edited by Gi-Gi

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

I went to the post office this afternoon to mail my letters and when I was called up I handed her my letters and kindly ask the postal clerk if I had sufficient postage on each letter to "Russia".  (She didn't even look at the letters.)  Apparently, I said the magic word which prompted her to say in an exasperated tone: "Yes! It'll get there in 7 to 14 days.  I've been getting these letters all the time!."

Next in line please!

:lol:

A messed up post which I can't delete or change as I want it. Sorry

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

Russia is beset with protesters. We see it always on the news. So there answer is to ban the one group that does not protest? Still, Putin is routinely reviled in the West. Will there be an effect of millions of respectful letters from those who have reason to complain?

If the situation is the same pattern as usual, he doesn't much care personally. It's not his thing. He has a country to run. But he is like Pilate, who initially tried to set Jesus free. 'Give the house Church what it wants,' he says at last, 'it's the only way I'll get ever them out of my hair.'

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

39 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

A messed up post which I can't delete or change as I want it. Sorry

Have to act fast, you have 10 minutes to edit after posting and then it is history.  :)

or you can ask a mod to edit for you.

Edited by rocket

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

32 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Russia is beset with protesters. We see it always on the news. So there answer is to ban the one group that does not protest? Still, Putin is routinely reviled in the West. Will there be an effect of millions of respectful letters from those who have reason to complain?

If the situation is the same pattern as usual, he doesn't much care personally. It's not his thing. He has a country to run. But he is like Pilate, who initially tried to set Jesus free. 'Give the house Church what it wants,' he says at last, 'it's the only way I'll get ever them out of my hair.'

The way I see it is that his doctrine of "Unity" calls for one National Church,  the Russian Orthodox Church from which he gets his power.  It is no different than the Soviet era doctrine of "Unity" that used atheism as its unifying force. One had to be an atheist or your persecuted. I see the same cry for "Unity" by means of the Orthodox Church raising it's ugly head in Serbia recently in the news.

I really don't think he cares what the rest of the world thinks. It's all or nothing.

"Come Lord Jesus. May the undeserved kindness of the Lord Jesus be with the holy ones."_Rev. 22:20,21

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

This was always going to be difficult but once I actually finished a letter to President Putin I checked out the printer. All five cartridges expired in succession! Then the paper jammed and I had to clear the whole shelf to fiddle about and free it.

The "six year lifespan" bulb blew in the bedroom so I couldn't see to feed in the envelopes!

The iPad refused to change the paper size so I had to email my PC and print from there.

When it finally printed without smudging I realised it was upside down. Not wanting to trigger a diplomatic incident I printed another the right way up.

#laughingInTheFaceOfSatan

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)