JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ten Plagues Upon the Egyptian Post Office

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2551 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Our people are loyal. They are beautiful. They are thrilled to be bringing their gift to the altar. But sometimes they can be too flippant about what is in actuality very serious.

image.jpeg

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

Forgive me for saying so, but I don't think our brothers and sisters are being flippant at all .. you see ... we all get this overwhelming feeling we are on the brink of something unprecedented and monumental ... similar to that of the plagues on Egypt ... whether it plays out like the plagues is yet to be seen.  We, as I'm sure you are aware, have been wound up tight - hearing about what our brothers and sisters have gone through in Eritrea, Venezuela, Azerbaijan, Georgia  at times, South Korea and of course Russia and many others, then suddenly we see our Jehovah sweep in give US  an avenue in which we help tangibly. So comments like comparing the current events to plagues or memes showing the effect on the postal services to me,is a release for a lot of built up pressure.

While we should indeed take your words on board so that we don't tip the scales too much on one side ... I am pretty sure amongst the Israelites camps there were moments of light relief ... they stood still on the shore of the Red Sea ... but walking through the red sea, which was a day's journey, I'm sure there were some with a sense of humor who probably made some quick and witty quip. The bible remains silent on personal conversations. That being said ... we ARE on the world stage at the moment, and we don't want to appear too theatrical or come across as flippant. So thank you for this thread and yet another timely reminder for us to treat this with respect and with caution as there are many out there waiting to trip us up.

Lovely to have you with us.

Mandi x

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I'm noticing that almost the first thing we talk about when running into each other are the letters. Such as:

"Have u written your letter(s) yet?

"How's it going with your letter(s)?

"There's the very familiar "something's about to jump off" or happen, etc. 

There's even talk about the post office, and how they're running out of stamps, etc.

This is sooo exciting! Sobering yes, because we don't know, yet, what Jehovah will allow (that's the bottom line really. Those officials cannot nor will not do anything. It all boils down to Jehovah and what he will or will not allow. Yes, the officials will open their mouths with their decision, yes, but that decision will go hand in hand with what Jehovah will or will not allow. It was something like with Pharoah. Jehovah allowed Pharoah's heart to be stubborn. Why? To have his name declared!)

So the same with today. If Jehovah allows the ban, his name will be declared. If Jehovah does not allow the ban, his name will be declared. 

So either way it's a win-win for Jehovah and his Sovereignty! 

All we have to do is show love and loyalty for our family.

Edited by Luezette

There has been talk for a while that the US post office system is going broke and struggling - we may have just saved their hide too!  How long have all those post offices (especially ones in smaller towns) been sitting on these international stamps?!!!  I'm sure the government muckity-mucks are pretty happen about all of this - no matter what country!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

2 hours ago, Luezette said:

It was something like with Pharoah. Jehovah allowed Pharoah's heart to be stubborn. Why? To have his name declared!)

So the same with today.

I was thinking about Pharaoh as well.   When Moses, as Jehovah's spokesman, told Pharaoh "This is what Jehovah the God of Israel says, 'Send my people away so that they may celebrate a festival to me in the wilderness".

Today, the Governing Body, as Jehovah's spokesman, is saying to the Russian Federation "This is what Jehovah God says, 'Let my people go. To conventions. To meetings. Out in service. That they may celebrate the Truth in the final hours of the last days'.

I was thinking about Pharaoh as well.   When Moses, as Jehovah's spokesman, told Pharaoh "This is what Jehovah the God of Israel says, 'Send my people away so that they may celebrate a festival to me in the wilderness".

Today, the Governing Body, as Jehovah's spokesman, is saying to the Russian Federation "This is what Jehovah God says, 'Let my people go. To conventions. To meetings. Out in service. That they may celebrate the Truth in the final hours of the last days'.

Especially "the Lord's Evening Meal" on April 11th

Let's pray our family in Russia can celebrate that day together at their Kingdom Hall's! Can you imagine how much more emotional it would be for them to gather together at their own hall's  with what they are going through now?!!!

No doubt they still continue to invite ones with the location of their respective hall's printed on the inside - another show of trust and faith in Jehovah.

Edited by shali

6 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Our people are loyal. They are beautiful. They are thrilled to be bringing their gift to the altar. But sometimes they can be too flippant about what is in actuality very serious.

image.jpeg

Thank you for expressing your PERSONAL opinion. 

The Bible reports many serious occasions for example linked to Baal worship and yet on one occasion Jehovah "attached" sense of humour there (Do you recall which account I am talking about?) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 minute ago, Gregexplore said:

Thank you for expressing your PERSONAL opinion. 

The Bible reports many serious occasions for example linked to Baal worship and yet on one occasion Jehovah "attached" sense of humour there (Do you recall which account I am talking about?) 

When the Ark of the Covenant was put in the Philistine temple to their God, Dagon?

TrueTom, I loved your book, you definitely have a sense of humor. I appreciate that Jesus did too..

*** w03 8/15 p. 7 How Some Are Remembered ***
Did Jesus have a sense of humor? Some readers may sense a touch of humor when they come across the passage where Jesus said that it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God. (Matthew 19:23, 24) The very idea of a camel attempting to pass through the eye of a literal sewing needle is exaggerated. Another example of such hyperbole is that of seeing the straw in a brother’s eye but not observing the rafter in one’s own eye. (Luke 6:41, 42) No, Jesus was not a tight-lipped martinet. He was warm and friendly. For Christians today, a sense of humor can lighten the gloom in times of stress.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm sure our Russian family will be able to celebrate the Memorial. Why? Because it's a commandment. Even if Jehovah allows the ban, they'll observe the Memorial, even if they have to do it in secret, or break up in little groups, or do it individually in their homes, etc. 

One thing about us is that, with Jehovah's spirit, we are determined to observe all that Jehovah tells us, one way or another including Jesus' command to "keep doing this..." Jehovah told us to "listen to him." 

So yes, our Russian family will observe the Memorial.

Edited by Luezette

OH NO! I flubbed my debut at JWTalk! Just like that first talk in the School aeons ago. So much for making a fine first impression. Moreover, some called me on it. Proving that I am in a fine place and that I am going to enjoy it here, they were all nice about it. Well, one perhaps was a little snippy, but I deserved it and accept it. His slight reproof was but a loving embrace compared to what I might expect in the world. 

I messed up on several fronts.

1.) I gave the (self-righteous?) impression that I walk around in sackcloth and ashes, glowering at anyone who cracks a smile. I don't. Though Tortega generously said I had a sense  of humor, everyone else thought she was nuts because it wasn't on display here. I fear I was 'righteous overmuch.'

2.) Use of the word 'flippant' is wrong, for doesn't that imply a touch of cynicism or insincerity? Our people are neither. 'Light-hearted' is what I should have said, like the troops were happily marching off to the lark that would prove to be World War I, only to return in a year holding their severed heads in their hands.

3.) I implied it was common. It is not.

4.) I implied it was on display here at JWTalk. In fact, I am too new to know.  But even if it has happened here, it does little 'damage.' This is a members-only forum. That is different than if some on Facebook have, at times, given the impression that this is a social event.

There's probably other sins, too, but I can't think of them right now.

12 hours ago, Stormswift said:

you see ... we all get this overwhelming feeling we are on the brink of something unprecedented and monumental ... similar to that of the plagues on Egypt .

Yes. We do. I feel that way, too. And it is joyous to work with the friends in this work, as in any other.

Let me see if I can straighten out and fly right. Here's how I should have phrased it: (on Facebook)

To the extent any of us are indiscreet, making 'taunting' comments like "You think you're tough, big man? Well, wait till you see what OUR God can do," I can easily imagine someone at Bethel not being enthused over social media. I haven't seen many of these remarks, but I have seen some. If there's one thing we know about Russian police, it is that they want to be feared. And our brothers in Russia DO fear them, no doubt - it is just that they fear and love Jehovah more. Before we make any comment, it seems well to ask ourselves whether a Russian brother would say it.

We shouldn't 'laugh' even at the spectacle of these guys not being able to move because we have flooded their mail. If anything, we should apologize for it, with the caveat that the situation is desperate for us, we didn't know what else to do, and we felt we had to get their attention somehow.

Fear the king. Do not treat him with disrespect.

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

29 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

OH NO! I flubbed my debut at JWTalk! Just like that first talk in the School aeons ago. So much for making a fine first impression. Moreover, some called me on it. Proving that I am in a fine place and that I am going to enjoy it here, they were all nice about it. Well, one perhaps was a little snippy, but I deserved it and accept it. His slight reproof was but a loving embrace compared to what I might expect in the world. 

I messed up on several fronts.

1.) I gave the (self-righteous?) impression that I walk around in sackcloth and ashes, glowering at anyone who cracks a smile. I don't. Though Tortega generously said I had a sense  of humor, everyone else thought she was nuts because it wasn't on display here. I fear I was 'righteous overmuch.'

2.) Use of the word 'flippant' is wrong, for doesn't that imply a touch of cynicism or insincerity? Our people are neither. 'Light-hearted' is what I should have said, like the troops were happily marching off to the lark that would prove to be World War I, only to return in a year holding their severed heads in their hands.

3.) I implied it was common. It is not.

4.) I implied it was on display here at JWTalk. In fact, I am too new to know.  But even if it has happened here, it does little 'damage.' This is a members-only forum. That is different than if some on Facebook have, at times, given the impression that this is a social event.

There's probably other sins, too, but I can't think of them right now.

Yes. We do. I feel that way, too. And it is joyous to work with the friends in this work, as in any other.

Let me see if I can straighten out and fly right. Here's how I should have phrased it: (on Facebook)

To the extent any of us are indiscreet, making 'taunting' comments like "You think you're tough, big man? Well, wait till you see what OUR God can do," I can easily imagine someone at Bethel not being enthused over social media. I haven't seen many of these remarks, but I have seen some. If there's one thing we know about Russian police, it is that they want to be feared. And our brothers in Russia DO fear them, no doubt - it is just that they fear and love Jehovah more. Before we make any comment, it seems well to ask ourselves whether a Russian brother would say it.

We shouldn't 'laugh' even at the spectacle of these guys not being able to move because we have flooded their mail. If anything, we should apologize for it, with the caveat that the situation is desperate for us, we didn't know what else to do, and we felt we had to get their attention somehow.

Fear the king. Do not treat him with disrespect.

Here's some more advice:  Keep the post brief. (Not always easy).

Most important though;  when you get rebuffed, rebuked or misunderstood, DO NOT RESPOND.  Lay low and watch as others come to your aid. It's the best response there is !

Tom,

I have flubbed up, expressed myself soooo wrong and made a fool of myself. Meh, I'm but a humble slave girl. Correct me kindly, and they do.

Your expressions are so humble. I appreciated that.

I'm so happy we, as Jehovah's people, forgive 77 times. We all need that.

Keep posting, I'll be watching:popcorn:  :flowers:

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

11 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Tom,

I have flubbed up, expressed myself soooo wrong and made a fool of myself. Meh, I'm but a humble slave girl. Correct me kindly, and they do.

Your expressions are so humble. I appreciated that.

I'm so happy we, as Jehovah's people, forgive 77 times. We all need that.

Keep posting, I'll be watching:popcorn:  :flowers:

Well, at least we haven't had to get the duct tape out yet!  :lol1:

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Tortega generously said I had a sense  of humor, everyone else thought she

...oh...and you mispelled 'he'

:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D