JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hi, 

I am considering getting a small, non shedding, low maintenance dog. But not a toy dog, one that's just naturally small but so cute! However, I've never owned a pet dog before and have some anxiety about caring for it, such as walking it everyday, what to do with it when I have to go for  long  periods of time etc...

Any advice would be welcomed!  Such as what breed, how to take care of it, what's best to feed it, (I'm not a cooker).  I am on a low income, will it be reasonable to even get a pet because of that?  How often will it need to see a Vet.?  Where to find information?

My reason for even wanting a pet dog is seeing how comforting one can be.  My reason for asking for input is for help in deciding if it would be good for the pet or not.  Because I'm not a very active person with lots of energy that it might take to fully care for it.  I can't take it suffering on my account or the emotional hurt if it gets sick.

Thanks in advance!

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Have you considered getting a cat? From my experience, they are lower maintenance, easier on the budget, and more comforting than a dog. Of course, it all depends on where you live, and if you like to feed the birds, cats are definitely not a good option, which is why we no longer have one.

8 hours ago, loving life said:

Hi, 

I am considering getting a small, non shedding, low maintenance dog. But not a toy dog, one that's just naturally small but so cute! However, I've never owned a pet dog before and have some anxiety about caring for it, such as walking it everyday, what to do with it when I have to go for  long  periods of time etc...

Any advice would be welcomed!  Such as what breed, how to take care of it, what's best to feed it, (I'm not a cooker).  I am on a low income, will it be reasonable to even get a pet because of that?  How often will it need to see a Vet.?  Where to find information?

My reason for even wanting a pet dog is seeing how comforting one can be.  My reason for asking for input is for help in deciding if it would be good for the pet or not.  Because I'm not a very active person with lots of energy that it might take to fully care for it.  I can't take it suffering on my account or the emotional hurt if it gets sick.

Thanks in advance!

Dogs needed exercise everyday sis Charlotte, that is why they are a good companion when jogging early at the morning... :) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

I'm going to, um, shower on your parade. I love animals. We have ended up with 3 dogs and 4 cats, mostly rescue. We are held hostage by our wonderful family of pets. When you go to convention, travel more then one night out, there is a problem. And all of our friends with pets share this problem. 

My husband is not in the truth, so theocratic traveling is not a problem for me. But our last real vacation was in 1994! When his Mom was alive and able to take care of this place. Just something to think about. Our goal is to have two of each, because of our age, but, alas, they come in out of the woods, literally! 

But, I do understand. Those little furry creatures add so much to our life! But along with them comes a job...

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Things you need to consider: are you financially stable enough to provide food, toys, bedding, and vet bills and so on (especially during the puppy stages)?    That could get costly, even for a little puppy.

Do you have time during the day to give the puppy care, training and attention?

Is your place suitable enough to hold a puppy, even the little ones?  Puppy-proofing you're house can take time, energy and money.

Take it as a matter of serious consideration and prayer.

If you're looking for a small dog that's hypoallergenic, I recommend a Coton De Tulear, or even a mini labradoodle.  Both are happy dogs, allergy safe, and love to be trained due to their intelligence.  I hope this helps in any way.  Let me know if you have more questions.

~Van

11 hours ago, Motherhen said:

Have you considered getting a cat?

This is a thought with some merit.

A cat, if you get the right one (just like a dog), will provide good company when you are home. They not only like to be pet while curled up in your lap, they "Purrrrrrrrr" .... and that is also soothing.

Like was mentioned, dogs and cats need exercise. One difference is, since cats use a "litter box" cats do not really "need" to go outside for that exercise or relief. (You do have to tend to their box).

Also, when you need to go to the Convention, even if it is is a multi-day stay (short stay), a cat can be left with sufficient food, water and a clean box - and they will fare much better than a dog left home alone for that length of time.

Don't get me wrong, dogs are nice too ...... we have both :)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thank you all dear friends for your input, I really appreciate them.  I am thinking deeply about not getting a pet yet.  Many factors have been brought out by you and I think I need to wait just a little while longer at least until after the RC.  

I don't have anything against cats except the shedding of their hair.  They are cute and so playful!  I hope I can make a good choice sooner than later, I am home bound most days and would love the company of a dear pet.  I am so looking forward to paradise, when all the animals will be friendly and not harmful to us.   Oh well, back to square one.  And again thanks!

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Something to think about ......

A snake can make good pet. :eek: They are quiet. They can be held when not eating. They do not eat every day. They do not take much cleanup. They can be left home, alone for an extended period of time without worry.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

14 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Something to think about ......

A snake can make good pet. :eek: They are quiet. They can be held when not eating. They do not eat every day. They do not take much cleanup. They can be left home, alone for an extended period of time without worry.

Only in the New World would I consider a snake as a pet.  Just plain O NO!:scared:  I'm looking for comfort and company not something that's going to make me never want to return home.:scooter:....lol   No thank you.

I used to have a pet boa constrictor. She was lovely.

My youngest son (42!) has a pet corn snake he calls Petal.  Loves to be handled.  They are really good pets.

edit, not much good at fetching sticks, though.  But will catch mice if required.

Edited by bohemian

Reasons to be cheerful

I had a pet hooded rat - it's a quick pet for 2 years.  She wasn't creepy, but quite playful and affectionate.  I used to walk the kids to school with her on my shoulder.  The looks I would get :scared:!

But I'm not helping you in your choices.  Cats do molt, and both cats and dogs make good companions.  Can you do some volunteering at a dog or cat shelter and "try before you buy" maybe?

27 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Can you do some volunteering at a dog or cat shelter and "try before you buy" maybe?

We did this before we got our first dog. At the time we would go to the local shelter on Saturday afternoons and walk dogs. The staff would use that time to give their cages a thorough clean.