JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Nervous passing the wine? :)

We had a beautiful memorial Tuesday, a big turn out and a great talk given by one of our former circuit overseers from nearly 9 years ago! He still sounded exactly the same as before, and was just as enjoyable.

Anyway, I wanted to pose the question, does anyone else get nervous passing a full wine glass? I felt like I was handling the ark of the covenant in those 2 seconds, our glasses weren't large but they were nearly full. I couldn't help but cringe watching the wine swing itself in the glass when the brother in front of me reached across 2 seats to give to a sister. :lol: I've only twice heard of people actually spilling it, one was a child and the other an elderly sister. Have you witnessed this in your location?

I don't know why some brothers fill the glass, it isn't dinner time. You only need a small amount in each glass.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Mishaps happen. It's not important. Spilling some wine is embarrassing for a little while, but means nothing. As suggested above, there's no need to fill the glass. If I dropped the bread, I guess I wouldn't put it back (if there's still some left on the plate), out of respect, not out of superstition.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

When I assisted with passing the emblems, the wine glass was about 1/4 or 1/3 full. 

My section of friends had no problem. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Last year or 2 years ago a brother invited his Bible student to the Memorial.

The student had obvious "slight mental" problems.

When bread was passed to him he grabbed it "very very quickly" (it was really fast)  the bread and ate it all.

He drank the wine as well.

Wasn't appropriate but some of us had a long lasting smirk on our faces. :)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

What if there is 2 partakers seating in the same row of seats?

Do they drink from the same glass? :o

What if 11 apostles were at the table, would they all drink out of the same glass Jesus gave them? ::o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

37 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What if 11 apostles were at the table, would they all drink out of the same glass Jesus gave them? ::o

But that was in a different setting.

Kingdom Hall arrangement is somewhat different.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

What if there is 2 partakers seating in the same row of seats?
Do they drink from the same glass? default_ohmy.png

Yes! Why not? It isn't particularly dangerous. When Jesus instituted this ceremony, everyone present drank from the same cup being passed around. Imagine what it must have been like when most in the congregation partook. Did they have one glass per person? I can't imagine that.

On a side note, lots of friends when they test different beers or wines share glasses.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

When bread was passed to him he grabbed it "very very quickly" (it was really fast)  the bread and ate it all.

:eek::omg::oops:

Chrissy :wave:

Last year two brothers invited a woman they met in  service to the Memorial. They explained to her what kind of ceremony this is, and one brother said: "You might have heard about it or maybe read it in the bible. Some people also call it the "Lord´s dinner" - you know? The occasion with the bread and the wine...?" - And she answered: "Oh, yes, I´ll come - and I´ll bring a salad!"

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Edited by coonie77

Chrissy :wave:

On 14/04/2017 at 2:36 AM, Gregexplore said:

This may be shocking to us who are aware of the meaning of that action but it's really no big deal. It happened quite often when we invited Nigerian students to the Memorial. Belonging to different evangelical churches, they were used to somewhat similar ceremonies where all those presents partook from the emblems. Now in the Romanian congregation it has happened with some guests: they didn't touch the bread but did have a taste of the wine. We simply retired those glasses and didn't count them as partakers and that was all. :)

6 minutes ago, carlos said:

We simply retired those glasses

Did you have extra (clean) glasses and more wine available?

There were 2 extra glasses and plates with emblems for our 2 Congregation memorial. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

5 minutes ago, AH173 said:

There were 2 extra glasses and plates with emblems for our 2 Congregation memorial. 

Our speaker provided 4 glasses and 4 plates and used all of them. No extras...

I know I have already told this story before as the old folks do :wheelchair: but anyway.

I remember a Memorial when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. I knew only the anointed could partake of the emblems, but I was extremely curious as to how that weird bread would taste, so I thought I would take a piece without anyone noticing (poor innocent child!) and eat it later.

My plan didn't go well. The loaf was much harder than I expected, and while I was trying to break a piece my mom, with a face of immense embarrassment, gave me a slap that still hurts when I think of it. :perplexed::lol2:

I visited my parents last Tuesday before the Memorial and asked my mom if she remembered it. She did. So do I. Never tried to even touch the emblems again. :lol:

48 minutes ago, carlos said:

I know I have already told this story before as the old folks do :wheelchair: but anyway.

I remember a Memorial when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. I knew only the anointed could partake of the emblems, but I was extremely curious as to how that weird bread would taste, so I thought I would take a piece without anyone noticing (poor innocent child!) and eat it later.

My plan didn't go well. The loaf was much harder than I expected, and while I was trying to break a piece my mom, with a face of immense embarrassment, gave me a slap that still hurts when I think of it. :perplexed::lol2:

I visited my parents last Tuesday before the Memorial and asked my mom if she remembered it. She did. So do I. Never tried to even touch the emblems again. :lol:

That's too cute.  Your Mom couldn't have stayed upset for long, since you were basically a baby. :lol: I have to admit, I've always been curious of how the bread tasted. When I saw the recipe for it on tv.jw I was tempted to try it. I believe the brothers in our location actually buy it from a store or online, rather than making it. I don't drink often so I couldn't tell you what wine it was, but what they passed smelled absolutely divine, very sweet and almost candy-like.

9 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes, I really like the smell of our wine too as it is passed along, and can't resist a sniff. But the bread, meh! I used to be a Greek Orthodox, and you had to fast before taking of the communion wine (shared spoon!) and bread. That bread though was pretty tasty, I can tell you!

Hmmm...

Wine, hot pita, hummus, olives, goat cheese...hmmmm....