JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any insights on visit to Canada Bethel?

I went to Brooklyn & Wallkill a couple years ago. Have never been to Canada Bethel and I figure Patterson & Warwick will be swamped with visitors. What I am asking is does anyone have any current info/recommendations on accommodations (hotel/motel/air bnb) places to eat, and any other things to do or see while up there in Canada? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

2 hours ago, sweetwillow58 said:

I went to Brooklyn & Wallkill a couple years ago. Have never been to Canada Bethel and I figure Patterson & Warwick will be swamped with visitors. What I am asking is does anyone have any current info/recommendations on accommodations (hotel/motel/air bnb) places to eat, and any other things to do or see while up there in Canada? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Check this out 

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/offices/canada/

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

11 hours ago, sweetwillow58 said:

. . . Have never been to Canada Bethel . . . What I am asking is does anyone have any current info/recommendations on accommodations (hotel/motel/air bnb) places to eat, and any other things to do or see while up there in Canada?

Jerry's post above is a good place to start. Not that it makes a difference, but I am originally from the Toronto area and grew up on the opposite side of the city from where Bethel is. In fact, I remember the previous location of the Canadian branch in Toronto before it moved to Georgetown. Anyway, I digress...

Canada Bethel is amazing. A few years ago a few friends and myself went to the Canada branch. We live in Montreal, but got in touch with Bethel before going. They do have a list of hotels you can stay at, kind of like the recommended lodging list they provide for conventions. I think the hotels on the list give you a cheaper than usual rate if you identify yourself as Jehovah's Witnesses. If I recall correctly most of the hotels/motels on the list are in the area of Mississauga, west of Toronto.

We were in Toronto and area for a few days before going to Bethel. We went to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, which at that time had a display of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Needless to say the display is not there anymore, but the museum is always educational anyway whatever the current topic. We were tempted to go up the CN Tower in downtown Toronto, but found it kind of pricey. (It's currently $47 for adults to go up, but it's nice for a breathtaking view.) And, as Jeff recommended above, we went to Niagara Falls and took a ride on the famous Maid of the Mist. (The original Maid of the Mist from the Canadian side has been replaced by a different cruise since we were there, but you can still go from the American side.) That was worth it, even though it was raining for part of our time there. (You will get wet on the Maid of the Mist anyway, but you'll be protected by a see-through plastic raincoat they give you.) Also in Toronto you have the Ontario Science Center and Casa Loma, both highly recommended if you have the time. (The Science Center is more towards the east end of Toronto, and so may be out of your way.)

The day before going for the Bethel tour we visited the Sunday meeting of a congregation near the hotel (I forget the name of the congregation and the hotel). By coincidence, three brothers in that congregation were from Bethel! One of them invited us to be his guests for lunch the next day! Having lunch with the Bethelites only added something spectacular to our visit to Bethel (although I can't promise the same thing would happen to you just by visiting a congregation near the hotel).

Incidentally, if you take Mississauga Road and Highway 7 from Toronto to Georgetown, you will pass the Assembly Hall in Norval. It's where I was baptized. (Okay, so it's not a landmark.)

Edited by Sheep

On 2017-04-14 at 10:14 PM, Sheep said:

Assembly Hall in Norval.

I helped there one day while it was under construction. Later when I was in a different congregation/circuit- we were supposed to be 1st circuit to meet there.

It wasn't quite ready :nope: thus had to meet in school at Orangeville.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: