JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Serena Williams and fiancé expecting first child

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2455 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My internet froze and would not let me complete my comment.

REMAINDER:

With Miss Williams, outsiders can not read her heart.  Her actions are what we see.  The worlds standards are at a all time low and still she is seen  as having a baby out of wedlock.  If she states she is a witness, she would know Jehovah's standards and would not blatantly draw attention to her situation. What would happen in the congregation if an unmarried sister became pregnant?  Would she excitedly announce it at the meeting or post it on the communication board for all to read? Or would she approach the elders and confide in them for help and correction?  Example. A young woman at work was excited that she was having a baby.  Another nurse said 'Oh, that's great! I didn't even know she was married.'  Implication?  Even the world still views certain things as having a proper order.  A couple of reasons you might announce something before it is common knowledge? To diffuse a situation or to share, rejoice in an event.  

We are told that even within the congregation there is bad/weak association.  What criteria do we use to decide if someone is good/strong association?  I think we understand the basics. It is not judging.  It is a protection.  Jehovah gave us reasoning ability and a standard to compare.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

her fame that has caused all this conversation.  

I agree.

In contrast we have so many Life Stories of Jehovah's Witnesses who rejected fame and put the Kingdom first.

Those Witnesses had to choose between fame and Matt 6:33 between morality of the world and the Bible principles.

Choice wasn't always easy, attraction of the world was strong and magnetic.

But they made right decision.

Some examples:

About this time my agent’s personal friend George Murphy took an interest in promoting me. George had appeared in numerous films during the 1930’s and 1940’s. In December 1956, as a result of Murphy’s connections, I appeared on the Jackie Gleason show in New York City on CBS-TV. This was a great impetus for my career, since the show had a viewing audience of an estimated 20,000,000. While in New York, I visited the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Brooklyn for the first time.
After appearing on the Gleason show, I signed a seven-year movie contract with MGM studios. I was offered a part as a regular on a TV Western. After a while, though, my conscience began to bother me, since I would have to assume the role of a gambler and gunslinger—parts that romanticized immorality and other unchristian behavior. So I quit. Those in the entertainment business thought that I had lost my mind. g04 8/22

As told by Karl Heinz Schwoerer    Something better then Waves.
I was born in 1952 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., but I grew up in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. As a teenager, I developed a strong passion for surfing. In fact, it became the most important thing in my life.

After two weeks of perfect waves, I sold my boards, and we drove directly to Florida. There we started studying the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses and attending all the congregation meetings. Determined to serve Jehovah, we stopped living together and having close association with our former friends. I shaved off my beard and got a haircut, and Sue bought a few dresses. Four months later we were married, and in April 1976, we were baptized in symbol of our dedication to serve God. g12/7

Speedway Riding Was My Life

I WAS chosen to race against Ivan Mauger, the speedway motorbike world champion, in exhibition test matches at Ipswich, Queensland, in Australia. That night the stands were packed. Throughout the whole stadium you could feel the excitement in the air. This was a big night for a lot of people—I, their hometown hero, was racing against the world’s top favourite!

Later, we moved to a different area, and a young Witness couple continued our Bible study with us. Thus, racing and the Bible were my main interests, with racing still foremost. Then I gradually began to see the contrast between the Witnesses and my associates. Things were starting to stand out now. I always knew about the immorality and the permissiveness of husbands and wives at the race track, but it never worried me before. I believed it was their business, but I would not take my wife to any of their parties or functions.
After seeing Jehovah’s view on immorality and the hurt that it causes to others, I began to hate what I knew went on, even though I was not involved in it. The immorality, cursing, swearing, and blaspheming began to grate on my nerves. The lack of respect for authority and for others became more noticeable as I learned Bible principles.
At about this time, I had an excellent offer to race in America as well as return to England. I knew that I could reach my dream of being one of the top ten riders in the world. But things kept going wrong. And I couldn’t mix with the guys in the pits like before. A troubling phrase kept going round and round inside my head: ‘I will have to make a choice one day!’
I remember my last race meeting because circumstances made me make an important decision. Things went wrong from the moment I entered the racing pits that night. The swearing and cursing put me strangely on edge. The official starter for the night had his son-in-law racing and his obvious favouritism toward him was getting all the riders mad. The last straw was when he disqualified me at the start of a race even though it was obvious that another rider had broken the starting tapes.
I went home that night thoroughly disgusted and realized that I could no longer try to serve two masters—speedway riding and Jehovah. “I will retire from the speedway,” I announced to an incredulous Suzette. And that I did, then and there! In spite of much opposition from my family, I sold my bikes and riding gear. Some of my friends thought I had become a religious fanatic.

g86 6/8

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

10 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

People in the public eye are naturally talked about more.  

This is true and especially true in the advertising world!  That is why celebs are paid big money to advertise a product.  Do you recall our sister Teresa Graves.?  Although we do not use women to 'preach, teach' as within the congregation, the society took opportune advantage, used it wisely, and was able to reach many people through her fame.  There were radio call in shows where she and a brother were able to field questions re our beliefs and if I remember correctly, some attention to what was currently happening in Rawanda.  After all, are we known for 'Advertise, advertise, advertise the King and his kingdom?'   All the more so to be without spot when everyone's eyes are upon you! 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

20 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

I've been only sitting on 1 judicial committee so I don't have same experience like you but I've never said anything about her denouncing Jehovah.

My point was simple  "At the moment she is traveling on a broad and specious road"

What future action she will take? I don't know.

Sorry I did not see you were quoting Carlos, I didn't see the quotation marks. 

I htink you missed the point I was feebly trying to make.

You repeated  "We are talking that Serena vocally claimed that her God is Jehovah and yet her actions prove otherwise, " (Notice the quotes) My counterpoint was that improper behavior does not necessarily mean the individual rejects Jehovah as their God, thus the example of David. The quote implies  otherwise. The quote implied that her behavior accomplished that. I never said anything about her denouncing Jehovah. I was making a general statement based on many years that wrongdoers still claim Jehovah as their God, I am sure she does. 

I would agree with the quote if it stated 'her actions show she is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses,' goes without saying. We have no way of knowing who she claims as her God.

Semantics I guess, sorry. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

We have no way of knowing who she claims as her God.

I would say that fame and fortune are her real gods. Even if publicly and verbally she claims Jehovah is her God, actions speak louder than words.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

15 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

I would say that fame and fortune are her real gods. Even if publicly and verbally she claims Jehovah is her God, actions speak louder than words.

Glad you aren't judging. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Old said:

Sorry I did not see you were quoting Carlos, I didn't see the quotation marks. 

I htink you missed the point I was feebly trying to make.

You repeated  "We are talking that Serena vocally claimed that her God is Jehovah and yet her actions prove otherwise, " (Notice the quotes) My counterpoint was that improper behavior does not necessarily mean the individual rejects Jehovah as their God, thus the example of David. The quote implies  otherwise. The quote implied that her behavior accomplished that. I never said anything about her denouncing Jehovah. I was making a general statement based on many years that wrongdoers still claim Jehovah as their God, I am sure she does. 

I would agree with the quote if it stated 'her actions show she is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses,' goes without saying. We have no way of knowing who she claims as her God.

Semantics I guess, sorry. :)

Thanks Jerry .. I understand your point which you patiently explained. :)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, Old said:

I was making a general statement based on many years that wrongdoers still claim Jehovah as their God, I am sure she does. 

Many years ago I developed an interest in tennis.  I like watching people that are very good at what they do and Serena is a remarkable athlete.

I was always a little thrilled when I would hear her give open and public praise to Jehovah.  I never really worried or concerned myself with her spirituality,  none of my business. .

I figure she is not much different than any other sports person that points to the sky or kisses a medal or does something like that,  seemingly thankful to God...

She just happens to get His Name right...

8 hours ago, Shawnster said:

People in the public eye are naturally talked about more.  

Especially when we read public info like this one below:

The amazing Serena Williams is in town for the ASB Classic - here are 14 things you need to know about one of the most famous people in the history of sport.

1) Serena, like her sisters, is a Jehovah's Witnesses who has gone door knocking on occasions. Her mother Oracene became a JW in the 1980s. Strictly speaking, Williams should not be playing professional tennis. Her religion discourages any emphasis on competitive sports because it distracts followers and encourages negative emotions like envy.

3) She is extremely superstitious. Reported rituals over the years include bringing her shower sandals to the court, tying her shoelaces with a certain method, bouncing the ball five times before her first serve and twice before her second, and crossing the net on the opposite side to the chair umpire after the first game.

She'll even keep wearing the same unwashed socks through a tournament, and those in her player box must sit in the same position for every match. She has been known to blame a loss on not following habits such as using the same shower.

"I have too many superstitious rituals and it's annoying. It's like I have to do it and if I don't then I'll lose...it's totally ridiculous," the Daily Mail reported her as saying.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11775668

Especially when we read public info like this one below:
The amazing Serena Williams is in town for the ASB Classic - here are 14 things you need to know about one of the most famous people in the history of sport.
1) Serena, like her sisters, is a Jehovah's Witnesses who has gone door knocking on occasions. Her mother Oracene became a JW in the 1980s. Strictly speaking, Williams should not be playing professional tennis. Her religion discourages any emphasis on competitive sports because it distracts followers and encourages negative emotions like envy.
3) She is extremely superstitious. Reported rituals over the years include bringing her shower sandals to the court, tying her shoelaces with a certain method, bouncing the ball five times before her first serve and twice before her second, and crossing the net on the opposite side to the chair umpire after the first game.
She'll even keep wearing the same unwashed socks through a tournament, and those in her player box must sit in the same position for every match. She has been known to blame a loss on not following habits such as using the same shower. "I have too many superstitious rituals and it's annoying. It's like I have to do it and if I don't then I'll lose...it's totally ridiculous," the Daily Mail reported her as saying.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11775668

I don't tolerate that you do things like this and call yourself a Jehovah's Witness. That position is far too treasured by me. One day, she might come back though. For now, this is not something a Witness does, and it is humiliating when she does it in public and still claim to be a witness. Am I judging? I don't think so. I do not say she is a hopeless case deserving of some kind of judgement I'm not equipped to dish out. Had king David not repented, he would not have been accepted either, and a claim to be a servant of Jehovah something that would make true servants of Jehovah feel disgust. Until he changed his ways.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Now it sounds like we are getting judgemental.   Belaboring a point too much starts to make one sound harsh.  

I think we're all in agreement that Serena Williams is not living a Christian lifestyle and we wish she would come to know Jehovah.   We can leave it at that, can't we?

I was always a little thrilled when I would hear her give open and public praise to Jehovah.  I never really worried or concerned myself with her spirituality,  none of my business. .

I figure she is not much different than any other sports person that points to the sky or kisses a medal or does something like that,  seemingly thankful to God...

She just happens to get His Name right...

its quite unfortunate to see how indecisiveness can drive someone this far and even farther if the individual is not quick to make changes.
while never ashamed to admit being a Jehovah's witness and even publicly using Jehovah's name,serena williams finds it really hard to take a firm stand for true worship.
and the thing about indecisiveness is that it constantly takes you through a vicious cycle of discouragement and leaves you stalling and unable to make any real positive move.
and to further worsen her indecisiveness,serena williams is surrounded by people who do not worship Jehovah due to the nature of her job.
while we can learn vital lessons from their mistakes,we only express optimism that suchlike ones will be quick to realise that "the scene of this world is changing."

Sent from my TECNO P9 using Tapatalk

If Justin Bieber, for example, appeared in the media saying he's one of Jehovah's Witnesses, we would quickly say "No way, Jose! We wish you become one of JWs, but currently your behavior shows you are not one of JWs and your claiming so is bringing reproach on the congregation." Would we not? That's not judging anyone, simply you cannot say you are a Witness if you are not.

I think that her God is still Jehovah. Willful sin does not take that away. Think about it, was David's God still Jehovah while he was plotting the death of Uriah. I have sat through far to many judicial meetings and not once have I heard anybody denounce Jehovah, Not once, even when they were by their own words willfully unrepentant. 
Will she see fit to make the neccesary changes  to allow her to dedicate herself to Jehovah? Remains to be seen. 
Does anybody on this forum personally know her? We don't judge the world, why are we judging her. Apparently she is not a baptized Witness of Jehovah. Was the privilege of being an unbaptised publisher taken away from her or did service just fade away through inactivety?

whether Jehovah is still her God or not depends entirely on her heart condition and how remorseful she must be feeling about what she has done.and that can make david's case different from hers.it was clear from the bathsheba story that right from the start david had been very worried by what he had done with bathsheba only that he was not courageous enough to open up to nathan instead he tried to cover it.Jehovah must have seen in david's heart a terrible feeling of guilt and dejectedness and a serious willingness to make amends only not courageous enough to take the right steps (now thats what it means to have the right heart condition). no wonder david himself admitted
psalms 40;
12 the calamities surrounding me are too many to count.+
So many of my errors overwhelm me that I cannot see my way;+
They are more numerous than the hairs of my head,
And I have lost heart.
13 Please be willing, O Jehovah, to save me.+
O Jehovah, hurry to help me.+

this is so much in contrast with someone who not only flagrantly violates Jehovah's standards but also try to make a show of it.it is obvious that Jehovah is NOT a God to people who behave like that.

titus 1:16 They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works,+ because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

1 hour ago, ishaya moses said:
On 4/22/2017 at 6:12 PM, Old said:
I think that her God is still Jehovah. Willful sin does not take that away. Think about it, was David's God still Jehovah while he was plotting the death of Uriah. I have sat through far to many judicial meetings and not once have I heard anybody denounce Jehovah, Not once, even when they were by their own words willfully unrepentant. 
Will she see fit to make the neccesary changes  to allow her to dedicate herself to Jehovah? Remains to be seen. 
Does anybody on this forum personally know her? We don't judge the world, why are we judging her. Apparently she is not a baptized Witness of Jehovah. Was the privilege of being an unbaptised publisher taken away from her or did service just fade away through inactivety?

whether Jehovah is still her God or not depends entirely on her heart condition and how remorseful she must be feeling about what she has done.and that can make david's case different from hers.it was clear from the bathsheba story that right from the start david had been very worried by what he had done with bathsheba only that he was not courageous enough to open up to nathan instead he tried to cover it.Jehovah must have seen in david's heart a terrible feeling of guilt and dejectedness and a serious willingness to make amends only not courageous enough to take the right steps (now thats what it means to have the right heart condition). no wonder david himself admitted
psalms 40;
12 the calamities surrounding me are too many to count.+
So many of my errors overwhelm me that I cannot see my way;+
They are more numerous than the hairs of my head,
And I have lost heart.
13 Please be willing, O Jehovah, to save me.+
O Jehovah, hurry to help me.+

this is so much in contrast with someone who not only flagrantly violates Jehovah's standards but also try to make a show of it.it is obvious that Jehovah is NOT a God to people who behave like that.

titus 1:16 They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works,+ because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

I have some unfortunate insight here. I was, um, severely disciplined by Jehovah. Never once did I doubt his existence. Never once. I was bankrupt spiritually.  Ka-putt. My behavior indicated that fact. Okay?

She has a sembalance of conscience. She took down that post. Who knows? It is not just her now. She is responsible for her unborn child. 

We pray for our enemies. We do not judge. Anyone. We pray. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

4 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

She has a sembalance of conscience. She took down that post.

I think it's an assumption to think she took the post down as a result of conscience.  She did, after all, release a very public statement.  

You may be right.  I have no idea.  I did propose an alternative as to why she might have taken down the post that has nothing to do with conscience.  

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I think it's an assumption to think she took the post down as a result of conscience.  She did, after all, release a very public statement.  

You may be right.  I have no idea.  I did propose an alternative as to why she might have taken down the post that has nothing to do with conscience.  

Maybe her mother told her to. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I read the first page of this thread, none of the second and a little of the 3rd. I don't think anyone is really trying to judge her per se, just concerned about the possibility of bringing reproach on Jehovah. Until I read this thread, the little I have seen on TV about the Williams sisters, I thought that they were both baptized Jehovah's Witnesses. I felt a little funny about them being so exceptionally athletic and competitive in their sport although I thought they could possibly be otherwise faithful just not really attentive to aspects of articles from the governing body warning of  possible bad association and many things often prevalent in organized sport circles. Then when I heard that she was pregnant by her boyfriend, I was thinking how opposers may jump on that as they do every other thing possible rather minor or major. Not judging her at all but I do wish that she would clarify that she is not a JW but only shares the beliefs of JW's. 

What I mean is like when militant atheist say things like Hitler was a model Christian and then you try to tell them that Hitler wasn't a true Christian and then they mock you with the old "no true scotsman fallacy". If it suits their agenda in making Jehovah and His anointed appear immoral or bad in some other way, then that person is a model JW. I feel that she has good intentions in publicly praising Jehovah but it might be good if she clarified that she is not a JW. Most of all, I hope she is getting her spiritual life together or will.

There are many young men and women who have knowledge of the truth but have never been baptized. They get involved with the world and even end up in an immoral relationship. They usually stop going to meeting and we generally forget about them....because we know they have made their decision. If they put forth some effort and show an interest in coming to the truth we extend a hand. Williams sisters seem to be in that catagory. 

Now that she has a child and as she gets older she may develope a more rational perspective on things. We don't like what she is doing, we don't condone it at all. We also have to be careful we don't write her off. 

The problem with talking about a specific person on a forum like this is it can be construed as gossip or maybe meddling in someone else business is a better way to put it.

True she's made herself a public figure...but that doesn't mean we have to discuss her personal life and criticize or support her.

Those of us who have children who have strayed understand they are on very dangerous ground and have made a terrible choice. But we would not like the congregation discussing and criticizing  them very specifically when they gather together in their homes or on an Internet forum. 

I believe her parent/parent are still witnesses. Out of respect for them we might want to avoid it. 

I've  never had anyone ask me about these girls being witnesses and behaving badly but if someone does....i'll just tell them she is not a member of the congregation. I think she favors JW's  as far as religions go, but she is currently doing her own thing.

I think most people understand that.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

We know of many celebrities whose parents were Jehovah's Witnesses. They usually claim to be, but actions speak very loudly.  President  Johnson's mother was a witness. Also Michael Jackson. If the person isn't baptized, he or she is not a witness, no matter what they say. I appreciate tekmantwo's observation that many celebs have a form of worship and the William sisters do have the right name. I did not realize that Serena was so superstitious. That in itself tells informed people that she is not a practicing JW. I even question random comments about 'crossing ones fingers, knocking on wood' and other common expressions.  Only Jehovah's people truly know how to identify our brothers. The world only can listen to what they are told. This is a protection during the GT. I was trying to find a Scripture that states that every other sin a man commits is outside the body, but fornication is a sin against ones own body. I couldn't find it, but it will jump out at me one of these days. Jesus did stress that, if one was to be stoned to death, the one without sin should cast the first stone. Everything that detracts from Jehovah's name is painful for us, but he will take care of that in his own good time. I only pray that I will be there to see it.

Virginia  enjoyed your comment, but you said,"Jesus did stress that, if one was to be stoned to death, the one without sin should cast the first stone." That text is  Spearous.  I do believe that originated in the King James version but it's not true it's not in our Bible at all .

When I saw this thread was Publicly visible, I wonder what people will think about us. Using so much time on talking behind any persons back like this. I read the first few comments. I enjoy and love to be on this forum but sometimes we maybe should stop some topics sooner than we do. I am sorry if somebody got offended, it was not my intention. I love you all.

I thought it was interesting this week at our midweek meeting we had a video on 2 individuals that gave up promising careers in football and music. The time and effort in pursuing success plus the non spiritual association make it difficult for an individual to be whole served in serving Jehovah.