JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wrong Man Imprison for Wounding Law Officer, Our Brother

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2506 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2010 was a bad year for some of us here, particularly Brother Marty Jones. He was falsely accused of shooting/wounding a Sheriff. Everyone in the world of Law couldn't believe how he could have been convicted, but he was and spent 6 years in solitary only recently being moved to a medium security facility. The article gives the current circumstances for him and the truth about the corrupt Sheriff.

You'll see our sister Susan on the front. She has lost her house, they destroyed it looking for 'evidence' then Sheriff Johnson claimed it in a legal maneuver involving victims, can't remember what that's called. They impounded her van and left it in an impound lot for so long it was taken over by rats so she lost everything. She has been living in a small studio  apartment above her job since all this and has somehow managed to survive. You never hear her complain or say much at all but has a smile on her face every meeting. She put Jehovah first.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/washington/articles/2017-05-13/lawyer-sheriff-idd-wrong-man-as-would-be-assassin

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

46 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

2010 was a bad year for some of us here, particularly Brother Marty Jones. He was falsely accused of shooting/wounding a Sheriff. Everyone in the world of Law couldn't believe how he could have been convicted, but he was and spent 6 years in solitary only recently being moved to a medium security facility. The article gives the current circumstances for him and the truth about the corrupt Sheriff.

You'll see our sister Susan on the front. She has lost her house, they destroyed it looking for 'evidence' then Sheriff Johnson claimed it in a legal maneuver involving victims, can't remember what that's called. They impounded her van and left it in an impound lot for so long it was taken over by rats so she lost everything. She has been living in a small studio  apartment above her job since all this and has somehow managed to survive. You never hear her complain or say much at all but has a smile on her face every meeting. She put Jehovah first.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/washington/articles/2017-05-13/lawyer-sheriff-idd-wrong-man-as-would-be-assassin

I don't really "Like This" but we don't have a Sad button. I hope he is exonerated.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We really do to. He and Susan were doing so much good. She had taken on the Russian language and was occasionally able to use it. And they were going back and forth to the Raymond congregation to help them out, they had many older ones there. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

3 hours ago, vern said:

when persons get an adverse judgement.... they will deserve it....

Come again...?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

This Sheriff has a history of doing really dishonest things. If Johnson is held accountable for what he did to Marty (the article has but a fraction of what really happened) I think some people may even open up and start sharing what he's done to them.

He has a side business with gravel and heavy equipment, one of our sisters asked for a bid from him to replace her septic system. He arrived early for the appointment and saw a lowboy with an excavator and assumed she had chosen someone else instead of him. He really unloaded on her and threatened her. Shook her up.

Golly I really hate this system, no matter how we keep our heads down anything can happen at any time.

58 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

This Sheriff has a history of doing really dishonest things.

In the opinion of.......?  You are making a serious accusation. In a broad public forum such as a newspaper or TV it might be basis for a slander lawsuit.

That being said I was rather bothered about the news reports when this was going on, who to believe? I didn't know it was a brother being charged. 

Ya you're right Jerry, sounds a bit inflammatory. I recant that sentence. It's so hard to say something without it coming out emotional. We've all been quiet for 7 years, we've learned to block it out because to not do so may cause us to say something we shouldn't. Perhaps like I did. Maybe I shouldn't have shared this story at all. My congregation has been so private, so protective and now new things have finally come out. It's like a relief, someone is finally listening.

Great, I thought this article would encourage not become an embarrassment to me.

8 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Ya you're right Jerry, sounds a bit inflammatory. I recant that sentence. It's so hard to say something without it coming out emotional. We've all been quiet for 7 years, we've learned to block it out because to not do so may cause us to say something we shouldn't. Perhaps like I did. Maybe I shouldn't have shared this story at all. My congregation has been so private, so protective and now new things have finally come out. It's like a relief, someone is finally listening.

Great, I thought this article would encourage not become an embarrassment to me.

I understand Cheryl, sometime we just want to explode. I hope this work out for the best.

7 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Though it has nothing to do with anything, it does remind me of the time I came upon someone  beating up a fortune teller. Yet she was laughing. The more she was hit, the more she laughed. I broke up the fight and demanded: "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Just trying to strike a happy medium," he said.

(sorry)

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I was thinking of the same joke...:lol:

I think there are penalties associated with this, I don't know if Dismal_Bliss changed the autosettings when he updated the site, let me check the log books..

To make my search easier, and to make the accounting officer happy with you, please confirm your email address/s along with your bank routing and account numbers.

We also have you as ***-**-***9, is this correct?

We await your prompt attention to this very important,  and delicate,  matter.... 

5 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

This can happen to anyone at any time.  It happened to my own brother,  another  brother who was a pioneer, and a brother in Alaska, just to mention ones I know of.   Look at what happened to Joseph - 13 years in prison by a false accusation.  Jesus and the apostles were all falsely imprisoned at one time or another, if not executed.    They can try to do all they can to get exonerated - appeal for due process violations or errors, new trial for new information, etc., but don't count on it.   They are caught in Satan's web.  What can be done?  Remember the big picture, Jehovah's grand purpose.  My brother has been in jail since January 2008.  After 2 trials, he was convicted and sentenced to 20 years, based on false testimony and manufactured evidence.  Weirdly enough he learned to speak and read Samoan quite fluently as a teenager, which came in handy since most of the guards are Samoan.  I was able to send him English and Samoan literature; he has had many studies and taught some to read. He would save up his food items, and when others all ran out they would line up at his cell for food.  He was able to give his presentations and have discussions this way.   Some that were released are attending meetings and came to the memorial.  He was always polite to everyone, and when the entire module was on lock down, only he was allowed to use the phone.  Then 2013 the pioneer brother was in custody and at just the right time was assigned to my brother's cell, and they didn't even know each other before.  I was able to send them both WT study magazines and songs so they could study and sing together.  This was not easy since publications have to come from the publisher or they are confiscated.  The pioneer brother was sent to Arizona start his 30 year sentence in 2016.  My brother was sent to Arizona February 2017, and has met up with over 1000 inmates he's met over the past 9 years.   He attends meetings held there, that he couldn't here, and his literature needs are handled by the local congregation.

From what you described, Bro. Jones sounds like the type of brother that can handle this.   He and his wife too, need encouragement, and help at the right time as well.

I understand he's had Jehovah's protection in incredible ways. Apparently after going in it took very little time for him to be recognized as an innocent man by others incarcerated. I don't know any details, don't really want to, but I understand he's experienced many blessings while there.

I think I'm a bit sensitive  because while Marty was being accused my sister at that same time accused me of stealing money from her and sued me. She went to my vendors, my customers and my business associates to persuade them to stop any interaction with me. She stalked me, broke into my home and truck. This went on for about a year. In court she lost but I was affected beyond belief, the stress caused more issues with my heart. And I also was cautioned not to talk about it but draw closer to Jehovah. I did but my husband couldn't being a non-believer. So I had to try to calm him while staying strong. It all took such a toll.

This system cannot end soon enough.

11 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I think I'm a bit sensitive  because while Marty was being accused my sister at that same time accused me of stealing money from her and sued me. She went to my vendors, my customers and my business associates to persuade them to stop any interaction with me. She stalked me, broke into my home and truck. This went on for about a year. In court she lost but I was affected beyond belief, the stress caused more issues with my heart. And I also was cautioned not to talk about it but draw closer to Jehovah. I did but my husband couldn't being a non-believer. So I had to try to calm him while staying strong. It all took such a toll.

This system cannot end soon enough.

You're not alone, believe me.  And it's hard to remember to apply Psalms 4:4 "Be agitated but do not sin.  Have your say in your heart upon your bed and keep silent." From what you describe, your sister no doubt would have lost regardless if she had a valid claim, because she interfered with your economic opportunity, used retaliatory tactics.  You could have counterclaimed for treble and punitive damages, but apparently didn't.  Now comes the real challenge:  You have to forgive her.  From the heart.  As if you really mean it.  How do you do that when you may feel justified in wanting to wring her neck?  I found it helps to try to look at things from a different perspective, or point of view.  Meaning, your sister is delusional, and needs a brain transplant, which will only be possible in the new system.  Everything done by her this side of the 1000 year reign was a mistake, and doesn't count.  If you unconditionally let it go, it will have an amazing effect, on yourself and everyone familiar with the matter. 

Good post Paulette. You are absolutely right. The brothers gave me the same advice they gave Susan. And by heeding that advice I was vindicated a year later when MS chose to victimize the wrong woman, a woman with influence. I was asked to be a witness on her behalf and was able to publicly prove again who and what MS is.

Retaliation is never a good response. Waiting on Jehovah is always the best move, he can make a bad situation turn out so much better than we ever could.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, tekmantwo said:
On 5/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, tekmantwo said:
at 0:58 PM, TrueTomHarley said:

Though it has nothing to do with anything, it does remind me of the time I came upon someone  beating up a fortune teller. Yet she was laughing. The more she was hit, the more she laughed. I broke up the fight and demanded: "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Just trying to strike a happy medium," he said.

This reminds me of a brother friend who once had a job of estimating roof repair and was sent to the house of a local medium. After his inspection the woman asked him, "how much will it cost me?" The brother answered, "don't you know"?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..