JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Huge fire engulfs West London Tower Block

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2467 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hope everyone is ok especially those related to me in the faith!

Two hundred firefighters and 40 fire engines are battling a large fire on a west London estate.

http://news.sky.com/story/huge-fire-engulfs-west-london-tower-block-10915008

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The media is talking about 6 confirmed fatalities.. in my opinion that is highly hopeful. They haven't been inside the building yet to confirm the exact number, but given how fast the fire broke out in the middle of the night, I expect that number to grow.

7 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

The media is talking about 6 confirmed fatalities.. in my opinion that is highly hopeful. They haven't been inside the building yet to confirm the exact number, but given how fast the fire broke out in the middle of the night, I expect that number to grow.

Yes the count is now 12 fatalities...so very sad :-(

53 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Last I heard it was 7 dead, but 12 now? 

I know there are over 70 injured in hospital also. 

12 confirmed.

More than 500 people lived in that building, and the fire hit around 1am.

12 dead and 70 injured means 400+ unaccounted for. After this long, missing is code for 'can't get inside yet'.

12 confirmed.

More than 500 people lived in that building, and the fire hit around 1am.
12 dead and 70 injured means 400+ unaccounted for. After this long, missing is code for 'can't get inside yet'.

Is there still concern of structure collapsing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The building's new 'cosmetic' facelift is being credited for the rapid spread of the fire,

actually acting as an accelerant.:(

The wooden facade was installed because the wealthy residents didn't like the rundown looks of the place.

More than 250 firefighters and 44 fire engines battled the blaze on Wednesday, with some sustaining "minor injuries".

http://news.sky.com/story/west-london-fire-live-fire-service-chief-confirms-there-have-been-fatalities-10915010

The first firefighters were on scene within seven minutes of receiving the call.

The building was fully engulfed within fifteen minutes of the fire venting out the windows.

Building's policy 'to remain in place' probably cost a lot of people their lives, as the building's fire alarm system

failed.

Sad circumstances all the way around.:(

I hope those who lost their loved ones can receive the Kingdom hope, and the comfort of the Resurrection...*sigh*

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

It's all heartbreaking.

Would a smoke hood protect a person long/well enough to get down several flights of smoke filled stairs?

edit: I watched a documentary about a fire-something guy who, when staying at hotels, would practice finding his way to the exit with his eyes closed and always traveled with a smoke hood.

We have them here because it would take us some time if we needed to evacuate.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Yes.  The hood would save you from the smoke but not from superheated air.

Only a self-contained breathing apparatus /SCBA will provide complete protection, i.e. from both smoke and superheated air.

A wet towel held over your nose and mouth is better than nothing, and stick as close to the floor as possible,

cuz that's where there's the coolest, clearest air.

3645253606_ec1ec67552-300x234.jpg

I try to always get a hotel room on the first floor and I make sure I know where all the exits are located, 

in case I have to find them in the dark.  Not likely, since I always pack a couple flashlights/torches. 

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

A tip from 911, in case of emergency a bra cup can be used as a temporary mask. 

And it allows you to come to the aid of close personal friend.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

A friend reported the Bethel service desk said that their were two witness families that both got out safely. 

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

As more and more information comes out it becomes even more harrowing.  I live about 6 miles from the Westfield centre, close to the Tower, and my wife and I visit there for cinema trips etc.  It is such a shock see the pictures and film.  A full public enquiry has been announced but they are very slow affairs and it could be a long time before answers are given.

There is a lot of anger in the local community as it appears that tenants' concerns about fire safety were ignored.

Firefighters left 'traumatised' by Grenfell Tower horror

http://news.sky.com/story/west-london-fire-live-fire-service-chief-confirms-there-have-been-fatalities-10915010

The fire chief in charge of the Grenfell Tower operation has praised the "sterling" job of her crews, who she said battled the blaze in fear of their own lives.

But she added her crews had been left "traumatised" by the experience.

"The fire is now out, There are small pockets of smouldering. You will see wisps of smoke coming out all day

due to the heat of the building and the remaining contents.

"There are, as we believe, still unknown numbers of people in the building.

"Due to the severity of the fire and the way things are, it will take a long time for us to be able to do that search to properly identify anyone who is left in the building, but we will do that as soon  as we can in conjunction with the police.

"Tragically now we are not expecting to find anyone else alive.

The anguished look on this firefighter's face sort a' sums up the sick feeling we are all experiencing:

5942b013e0c6d_FirefighteratTowerBlaze.jpg.4fc492aae6f3936d173fff5f427c683f.jpg

Sad to say, but there is no way only 18 people died in this inferno.  No way.:(

5942b0275ea5e_TowerApartmentFireLondonB.jpg.fe8cf811a34c2092bbf0374c016ddc34.jpg

Wow, those are startling pictures. It looks the Towering Inferno movie set...:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Heartbreaking Breaking News:

12:09

BREAKING: Met Police commander Stuart Cundy says six of the 17 confirmed victims were found outside the building.

When asked about what he thinks the final death toll might be, he said: "I just don't know. I hope it's not inevitable that it's in triple figures."

I fear it is inevitable. :(

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

The anguished look on this firefighter's face sort a' sums up the sick feeling we are all experiencing:

Sad to say, but there is no way only 18 people died in this inferno.  No way.:(

As far as I heard, something around 40-60 people are "unaccounted" for.