JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I thought it would be nice for the musicians to have a place to post their music profession or hobby.   Let's get the conversation going:

• What music instrument do you play?  
  • How long have you played? 
  • How/Where did did you learn to play?
  • Do you play for income or hobby.
  • Want to share a picture of/with your instrument?
  • What Kingdom songs do you like to play?
  • Do you sing vocal as well?  No matter what room in the house it may be.
  • Perhaps you're waiting to the new system to play! What is your first instrument you want  to learn then?

Hopefully this get some conversation going.

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

Ok I'll bite on this thread:

I am just beginning to learn to practice piano on a entry level keyboard using a "Piano Video Lessons" course I found on youtube.  I purchased her first year .pdf course documentation and am the second of 6 units.   My first theocratic goal song to learn is number 52 "Christian Dedication" a favorite of my Wife and myself, as we used it for our wedding.   Another favorite tune of ours is Greensleeves, I have re-written the original "dated" lyrics to be a song to my wife that I look forward to being able to play for her.  

My singing career is spent at the Kingdom Hall.  I also have a classical guitar I want to learn to play but it is going slower even though I started it first.  In the new system I want to learn to play all kinds of flutes.

Keyboard from JayL_Small.jpg

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

30 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Hope your lessons continue to be enjoyable.

I enjoyed the story of how you and your wife got together.

Thanks for sharing!

Loved your New System To-Do List, too.^_^

Thank you, We enjoyed posting about our lives togather on our Family Website to get a headstart on sharing our lives with our Brothers and Sisters.  Note: We also have Our Music Hobby page there as well for those interested.

Edited by Pallen

Proper Engrish ;)

OK - I will give this a try:

First, I cannot sing .... at least, not on key. I have never been able to sing. I am old enough that I go back to a time when public school thought ALL kids should/could sing and required all elementary teachers to be able to play piano. Even with year after year after year of teachers trying, I got sent home with notes that said I could not carry a tune in a bucket.

I bring this up because, even though I was given a Silvertone guitar back in 1960, I could never play it. I tried, but - no go.  I just thought, since I couldn't sing, I just couldn't do music.

When I was in 9th grade playing a guitar and starting a band became very popular. Being a JW, I was not interested in playing in a band. But, after hearing what some of my classmates could do made me want to play the guitar. So, I dug the old Silvertone out and gave it another try - no good.

Then, when I was in 12th grade I was talking to a classmate who played guitar about not being able to learn how to play the guitar. He told me to bring in my guitar so he could see it. When I did, he tried playing it and said something to the effect of, "No wonder you can't play this thing!" He showed me how "high" my string were off the neck of the guitar. He showed me how his string were and looked at how the bridge was built on my guitar. He then told me to go to the music store and get "nylon" strings and bring it all back to school and he would show me how to put them on. I did as he said.

The long and short is, I ended up learning to play the guitar. I even bought a 12 string in the early 1970's. I still have both guitars.

To continue, I could play the guitar chords but I could not play "lead" - only rhythm. I could not read music.

I was a regular pioneer at the time and I washed windows for a living. One of the storefronts I did had an inactive sister working there. I started encouraging her and she began to return. In fact, she did so well that she ended up becoming a regular pioneer. We became close, like a brother and sister. She played the clarinet and helped me learn to read music. I helped her meet the brother she married (I was their best man at the wedding).

In the end, I learned to play the alto sax and the electric bass. I also learned to "transpose" music to be able to write the alto sax parts from the songbook.

I ended up playing in the orchestra at CA and DC back when we had them.

Sad to say - these days, since my hands do not want to cooperate, I do not play anymore.

In the New System I want to learn the piano and the highland bagpipe.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• What music instrument do you play?  The piano.
  • How long have you played?  For about 8 years.
  • How/Where did did you learn to play?  I studied music in music school for 5 years.
  • Do you play for income or hobby. So far, for hobby :)
  • Want to share a picture of/with your instrument?  I don't know how to add a picture there. But it's a basic synthesizer Yamaha DGX (I don't know its model). Also I have real piano at home, but don't play it anymore :D
  • What Kingdom songs do you like to play?  Openly, so far I don't play our songs...
  • Do you sing vocal as well?  No matter what room in the house it may be. Although I can read sheet music but I don't have a beautiful voice.
  • Perhaps you're waiting to the new system to play! What is your first instrument you want  to learn then?  Guitar!

On 2017-6-14 at 8:53 PM, Pallen said:

Ok I'll bite on this thread:

I am just beginning to learn to practice piano on a entry level keyboard using a "Piano Video Lessons" course I found on youtube.  I purchased her first year .pdf course documentation and am the second of 6 units.   My first theocratic goal song to learn is number 52 "Christian Dedication" a favorite of my Wife and myself, as we used it for our wedding.   Another favorite tune of ours is Greensleeves, I have re-written the original "dated" lyrics to be a song to my wife that I look forward to being able to play for her.  

My singing career is spent at the Kingdom Hall.  I also have a classical guitar I want to learn to play but it is going slower even though I started it first.  In the new system I want to learn to play all kinds of flutes.

Just a word of advice, learning an instrument takes a lot of time and sustained effort. There's an expression "don't try to boil the ocean", I think it really applies to music, it's best to focus your energy on one instrument until you become reasonably good at it before tackling other ones. I found that when I switched between instruments too much I ended up getting almost nowhere with any of them. It's very hard to practice at first but if you persist I think anyone can become good at an instrument.

• What music instrument do you play?   My main instrument now is Guitar. I'm also mediocre at piano (ironically one of the only songs I know how to play well is Greensleeves), harmonica and drums. I used to be pretty good with clarinet back in high school. In the past I also played trombone, violin, accordion and flute but never progressed to far with any of those.
  • How long have you played?   Just over a year for guitar, I took piano lessons for about 5 years but didn't practice much. When I finally picked up a guitar I fell in love with it in a way I never have for other instruments.
  • How/Where did did you learn to play?   For guitar I used an application called yousician at the beginning, then I learned songs from tabs, books, youtube videos and tips from other musicians. Never took a formal lesson. For piano a neighbour who was a music teacher taught me once a week for an hour. 
  • Do you play for income or hobby.   Right now it's a hobby, although I'm working on a CD and hoping to make some income from that in the near future. I've been paid for singing before though.
  • Want to share a picture of/with your instrument?   Sure.
  • 18738512_709131832607575_229464637463352
  • What Kingdom songs do you like to play?   Pretty much all of the new kingdoms songs (from the last couple years), in the document released by the society (before the new song book) it contained alternate chords and the position of the capo making it ideal for guitarists. I tried learning kingdom songs on piano but they were way above my skill level. There are simplified versions but sounded much too plain for me.
  • Do you sing vocal as well?  No matter what room in the house it may be.   Yes, the reason I picked up a guitar was actually to provide musical accompaniment for my singing (as my guitarist's availability at the time was unreliable)
  • Perhaps you're waiting to the new system to play! What is your first instrument you want  to learn then?   I would like to become really good with piano but the time commitment is too much for me in this system it seems. Didgeridoo would also be fun.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:55 PM, Qapla said:

Sad to say - these days, since my hands do not want to cooperate, I do not play anymore.

In the New System I want to learn the piano and the highland bagpipe.

Sounds like you had a lot of enjoyable experiences while music.   I am sure we ALL will enjoy hearing them,  as well as playing togather in the new system when your hands work once more.   :)

On 6/15/2017 at 9:19 PM, Josho said:

it's best to focus your energy on one instrument until you become reasonably good at it before tackling other ones.

Our guitar has been living in its case.  I have been on a honeymoon learning piano since I got it and have really enjoyed it, After all it is a hobby for me to enjoy and not take too seriously in the times we live.  But music a part of our lives and it is somthing we can share now and will continue to share in the new system togather.  I look forward to having the ability to play many of the kingdom songs... right now I would be happy to play "Christian Dedication".  I hope you have opportunities to have some kingdom singalongs with your local Brothers.

On 2017-6-19 at 3:25 AM, Pallen said:

Our guitar has been living in its case.  I have been on a honeymoon learning piano since I got it and have really enjoyed it, After all it is a hobby for me to enjoy and not take too seriously in the times we live.  But music a part of our lives and it is somthing we can share now and will continue to share in the new system togather.  I look forward to having the ability to play many of the kingdom songs... right now I would be happy to play "Christian Dedication".  I hope you have opportunities to have some kingdom singalongs with your local Brothers.

Actually were having a music night next month and inviting some brothers and sisters over, one of the ideas is to come up with a song to submit to the society that could be used in a broadcast, should be fun

On 15/06/2017 at 2:38 AM, Pallen said:

I thought it would be nice for the musicians to have a place to post their music profession or hobby.   Let's get the conversation going:

• What music instrument do you play?  Started with Descant recorder, then got my clarinet when I was in grade 6 (1970) . A bad motor car accident left me battling with my Embouchure (or lipping is the use of the lips, facial muscles, tongue, and teeth in playing a wind instrument). Got my  nylon string guitar about 10 years ago and my steel string about 8 years ago.
  • How long have you played? 
  • How/Where did did you learn to play? Self taught with some clarinet lessons for about a year.
  • Do you play for income or hobby. Hobby
  • Want to share a picture of/with your instrument? Below.
  • What Kingdom songs do you like to play? Love 81 The Life of a Pioneer!! Gaining Jehovah's Friendship. (All simplified chords.)
  • Do you sing vocal as well?  No matter what room in the house it may be. Yes - for better of worse!
  • Perhaps you're waiting to the new system to play! What is your first instrument you want  to learn then? Still steel string guitar. Then I will grow my own rosewood, spruce, mahogany trees and make my own guitars as well :superman:IMG-20160810-WA0007.thumb.jpg.4191adab204e7a0944956b1b349feb3e.jpg

Hopefully this get some conversation going.

• 5 months later...

Anyone can help me with translating our songs sheet music so that I can play them on a alto recorder?

I love music but never had the opportunity to learn any instrument. I got myself a flute and want to start practice with our songs. I hope there is a simple way to translate the notes to something similar to "close holles one and five"

Thnks

Anyone can help me with translating our songs sheet music so that I can play them on a alto recorder?

I love music but never had the opportunity to learn any instrument. I got myself a flute and want to start practice with our songs. I hope there is a simple way to translate the notes to something similar to "close holles one and five"

Thnks

Transpose them up to a perfect forth, I believe. Start with a simple melody, such as song No. 93.

One idea is, of course, to learn the associate the ones you read with your finger Settings. Of course, this might confuse things a bit when you start to read music written for the alto flute.

When you teach children a musical instrument, you start with the ear and make them imitate a tune. Then you teach them the techniques to support that melody. This way they do not even have to learn to read music. Or, they can eventually learn to read music straight off the page because they are familiar with the sounds.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

51 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Transpose them up to a perfect forth, I believe. Start with a simple melody, such as song No. 93.

One idea is, of course, to learn the associate the ones you read with your finger Settings. Of course, this might confuse things a bit when you start to read music written for the alto flute.

When you teach children a musical instrument, you start with the ear and make them imitate a tune. Then you teach them the techniques to support that melody. This way they do not even have to learn to read music. Or, they can eventually learn to read music straight off the page because they are familiar with the sounds.

I'm not sure I understood what you said :)

I learn something about music a long time ago but remember just a few things... Transposing being not one of them

I was hoping for a sheet music already made for the instrument but I'v searched and can't find any simple trial... I guess I have to learn some basics first :)

I'm not sure I understood what you said
I learn something about music a long time ago but remember just a few things... Transposing being not one of them
I was hoping for a sheet music already made for the instrument but I'v searched and can't find any simple trial... I guess I have to learn some basics first

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transposition_(music)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I love music. The first instrument I want to learn to play is a violin. Took piano lessons as a kid. I’ve thought about getting one of those little portable keyboards, just for fun. But, times being times, I’m waiting. I barely get done what I have to, today.

i have a long list of, “I’m waiting”.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I love music. The first instrument I want to learn to play is a violin. Took piano lessons as a kid. I’ve thought about getting one of those little portable keyboards, just for fun. But, times being times, I’m waiting. I barely get done what I have to, today.
i have a long list of, “I’m waiting”.

Compare to many other things, music becomes an outlet for all of your emotions and will have a good effect on your psyche. You don’t even need an instrument. Use your voice as an instrument. (Starting with a difficult instrument like the violin or flute might make you get tired of all the practice you need to master it.)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

21 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Compare to many other things, music becomes an outlet for all of your emotions and will have a good effect on your psyche. You don’t even need an instrument. Use your voice as an instrument. (Starting with a difficult instrument like the violin or flute might make you get tired of all the practice you need to master it.)

New system plans. Today, it’s get out of bed, get dressed, and move foreward!

New system plans. Today, it’s get out of bed, get dressed, and move foreward!

Great, but if you really want to, music can help you do all of that. Not practically necessarily, but well in a motivational way.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Thesauron said:

Great, but if you really want to, music can help you do all of that. Not practically necessarily, but well in a motivational way.

I know. Right now, my music experience will be listening to it. And that, I so enjoy. That makes me happy today. In the new system, I want to have a beautiful singing voice, and, as I said, I will start with a violin. It’s music is so beautiful. 

Right now, I’m happy with what Jehovah has given me. 

My dear brother, you are persistent. I can’t figure out how to load, “Dance me to the end”. By Leonard Cohn. On utube. There are a couple of beautiful music videos of this. As long as there is music like this, and the kingdom songs, I’m happy. Listening to beautiful music! It can bring me to tears. So, right now I’m just happy with what others share with me. Yes, one day, I will share! 

What is your speciality? What do you love to share? I suspect it’s spectacular!