JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stillborn - right to burial

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2491 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A sad indictment of how authorities view life. This story from Hong Kong shows how low the world has become.  Due to abortion laws stating that a fetus over 24 weeks cannot be aborted, the hospital took the view that a 15 week old stillborn baby was classed as hospital waste.  They wouldn't routinely give the body of the baby over to the parents for burial.  The parents fought back, and were eventually granted the baby's body, but with no authority for disposal.  The hospital had the nerve to suggest burying their baby in a pet cemetery!

In the end, the Catholic Church offered to bury their baby.  However, in Hong Kong, unless you are a RC or a Muslim you don't have this option.  Where do we stand if this ever happened to our brothers and sisters there?

He said the solution offered by the Roman Catholic Church mirrors what Hong Kong's Islamic cemetery had been allowed to do for decades.  Roman Catholics believe that life begins at conception, while most Muslim scholars say a foetus in the womb is recognised as a human life.

But Kevin wants all families in Hong Kong, regardless of religion or background, to have the option of taking their deceased children for burial or cremation.
"I don't think it should be available only to people of certain religions or certain backgrounds," he said. "I want to see the government change this policy, or for lawmakers to change the law."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40371873

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

The hospital had the nerve to suggest burying their baby in a pet cemetery!

I've stopped reading after this sentence ..too much for me. :nope: The "ungodly"world is disgusting.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Part of my job is dignifying all who have died, that includes stillborns, so I too couldn't read it. Doing a bright butterfly headstone for a wee girl right now ... this world is just too sad.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

What worries me the most is the way ideas are imposed on people in this so-called culture of freedom.

They may do as they wish, they can consider stillborn corpses as hospital waste or whatever, but if you want to bury your stillborn baby why do they have to impose you those rules? So much speech about freedom, freedom of belief, freedom of expression, but when a situation comes you have to agree with them or be crushed.

It's a very blase attitude and I think abortions have a role to play in this. I remember when I lost my first ... because i was 'only' about 15 - 16 weeks she was not considered old enough for a legal burial/cremation so she went out with the hospital rubbish ... I remember waking up and being quite upset (as one is ) and the male nurse told me - my goodness he said you just had a little operation, nothing to get upset about ... a femala nurse overheard and she spun around and said very curtly - She has just lost a baby she has every right to be upset. 

I'm telling you guys this, because miscarriages and the like are more common than you know, but from the staffing point of view it's a simple procedure with no emotional ties ... I named her Annabel Lee ... and try not to think where they took her, but Jehovah has it all sorted he really does. My mum had five!! And I know women that have had many more. I don't think people in the professional world know how much each one of those lives mean to at least two people - the parents. Abortion has a lot to answer for. It really does.

The point  I want to make here, is from the parents viewpoint, a miscarriage and a stillborn is essentially the same thing - a life is lost ... but a stillborn is born and can be placed in your arms, a miscarriage it's like a person who tried to be but couldn't be if you get what I mean. But they are both losses, in the heart of a mother and afather they are both a life lost. 

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I'm so sorry Mandi, I fear this may have been an insensitive topic.  I haven't experienced losing a child, and it hadn't occurred to me ever that a hospital would see the baby as waste.  It made me sick to the stomach to read this article this morning.  So I wondered how other sisters in Hong Kong manage if they lose a child so young.  I didn't even think the same thing is happening in all hospitals.  And it is directly based on the date the law says abortion shouldn't be performed - at after 24 weeks, therefore making babies dying younger than that not seen as buriable (for want of a better world).  

Yes, our dear Father has this all in hand.  He will sort it all out in our happy future where there will be no more sickness and death, making burials unnecessary.

My darling it should make you sick to your stomach, it does to any normal person ... especially we who have Jehovah's viewpoint. And to me this is not insensitive because I'm at peace with it ... and if there is someone reading this that has experienced a miscarriage more recently than myself - please feel free to send me a private message - I will help all I can ... not talking about it doens't make it go away.

I was drawing portraits in a cafe that belonged to a brother and sister just after I had my first miscarriage ... and a young couple came in and said they had lost their child (didn't mention she was a stillborn) and brought in a photo for me to draw. That was the hardest thing ever.

15 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

It's a very blase attitude and I think abortions have a role to play in this. I remember when I lost my first ... because i was 'only' about 15 - 16 weeks she was not considered old enough for a legal burial/cremation so she went out with the hospital rubbish ... I remember waking up and being quite upset (as one is ) and the male nurse told me - my goodness he said you just had a little operation, nothing to get upset about ... a femala nurse overheard and she spun around and said very curtly - She has just lost a baby she has every right to be upset. 

I'm telling you guys this, because miscarriages and the like are more common than you know, but from the staffing point of view it's a simple procedure with no emotional ties ... I named her Annabel Lee ... and try not to think where they took her, but Jehovah has it all sorted he really does. My mum had five!! And I know women that have had many more. I don't think people in the professional world know how much each one of those lives mean to at least two people - the parents. Abortion has a lot to answer for. It really does.

The point  I want to make here, is from the parents viewpoint, a miscarriage and a stillborn is essentially the same thing - a life is lost ... but a stillborn is born and can be placed in your arms, a miscarriage it's like a person who tried to be but couldn't be if you get what I mean. But they are both losses, in the heart of a mother and afather they are both a life lost. 

So sorry you experience the loss of your baby by miscarriage Mandy. 

One thing I've come to appreciate is no matter how soon or how long our babies lived and we lossed them in any kind of way to death,  we all lost them!  The pain is the same.  Without Jehovah's will for the resurrection we would be hopeless.

I know this is awful end to a already tragedy! I never knew that even happen to miscarried babies!  How sad! Unthinkable until I read this article about it. 

To those who have had this happen to them,  I am so sorry! May Jehovah give you strength beyond what is normal. 

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

It's just this ugly ugly system we live in, my situation is by NO means unique ... and it makes me angry that young girls are told abortion ends all your problems etc etc ... but to have a baby go full term and then have to say goodbye would be devastating ... the baby should be treated with dignity even in death, even if its to help the grieving parents. 

I just think the worlds reasoning abilities or lack of beggars belief.

To those who have endured miscarriage, it is certainly a loss.  I never thought of burying a 15 week  fetus.  For me, there was nothing left to bury, I did not know the gender of my lost child.  It is sad to those who have suffered this. MY Bible student suffered a miscarriage in Jan 2016.  This was followed by a high risk pregnancy and  she delivered a beautiful baby boy 3 months ago.  Thanks to Jehovah we can deal with numerous losses in our lives and still have the hope of a promising future. 

3 hours ago, kejedo said:

To those who have endured miscarriage, it is certainly a loss.  I never thought of burying a 15 week  fetus.  For me, there was nothing left to bury, I did not know the gender of my lost child.  It is sad to those who have suffered this. MY Bible student suffered a miscarriage in Jan 2016.  This was followed by a high risk pregnancy and  she delivered a beautiful baby boy 3 months ago.  Thanks to Jehovah we can deal with numerous losses in our lives and still have the hope of a promising future. 

I  lost a child at the same amount of weeks. I wan't sure what happened at the moment so I asked, 'is my baby dead'? The doctor said it was never alive, which we know is not true, but I guess he wanted to spare my feelings, or he believed it himself. I then asked was it a boy or a girl and  he said they couldn't tell, again not so.

In those days it was the policy of the doctor and hospital that the patients shouldn't have much information of themselves or their condition.

Thankfully, this has all changed.

With the wonderful hope of the resurrection, if I am privileged to be there I look forward to meeting this child  because we know life begins at conception..To Jehovah he/she always was living and still is in his memory..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..