JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What Common Ingredient in Food Completely Ruins It for You?

What common ingredient in food completely ruins it for you?

I have many things. Ruccola, for one... And don't get me started on all the soy 'alternatives'...

IMG_1694.JPG.2206028baa5fc6b1266bd5170b00b999.JPG

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

MSG 
high fructose corn syrup 
any # color dyes
more than 3 ingredients

Hm... Is it common that people or establishments add high fructose corn syrup to food that is not semifinished?

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Hm... Is it common that people or establishments add high fructose corn syrup to food that is not semifinished?

Johan

What does semifinished food mean? 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Though I do put emphasis on clean eating now, I've never  been a picky eater.
I love trying new things, even if it stealthily hides crushed beetles. :lol:

The only food I can think of are those little devils that ruin lasagna, fennel seeds. :angry:

Exactly! Who came up with the idea to serve fennel seeds in lasagna? 🤢

I don't mind beetles, if they are honest beetles. But have you noticed how when people serve shrimp, that they pretend it does not taste and feel like tiny little insects?

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Beetroot.  I hate everything ending up being a garish shade of pink.    Colourings, MSG, sweetners are also pet hates. 

Beetroot should produce a deep red colour though, such as Eastern European borsjtj. But if you try to add beetroot to just about anything, it will certainly give your meal a sickly shade of pink.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Exactly! Who came up with the idea to serve fennel seeds in lasagna? 

I don't mind beetles, if they are honest beetles. But have you noticed how when people serve shrimp, that they pretend it does not taste and feel like tiny little insects?

Johan

A great, clean comedian called Jim Gaffigan dislikes seafood, and during his stand-up referred to all crawling seafood (lobster, shrimp, crayfish) as "bug meat". I concur, they really do look like giant expensive bugs of the ocean. The only way I can eat them is if I don't think about it too much, though I simply cannot eat crayfish, period. :D I do enjoy actual fish though, amongst other meats.

On the subject of PB, have you tried other nut butters? Or even cookie butter, which contains no nuts at all. :lol:

A great, clean comedian called Jim Gaffigan dislikes seafood, and during his stand-up referred to all crawling seafood (lobster, shrimp, crayfish) as "bug meat". I concur, they really do look like giant expensive bugs of the ocean. The only way I can eat them is if I don't think about it too much, though I simply cannot eat crayfish, period.  I do enjoy actual fish though, amongst other meats.

On the subject of PB, have you tried other nut butters? Or even cookie butter, which contains no nuts at all. :lol:

Hazelnut butter, but I rather prefer regular butter, unpasteurised, lightly salted.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I'm a lover of many things Asian and seafood, and even though I am not overly picky there are a few things I'm out on :

* Wasabi

* Grapefruit (med allergy and I don't like anyways)

* Rare meat

* Most Prosciutto

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

40 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

I'm a lover of many things Asian and seafood, and even though I am not overly picky there are a few things I'm out on :

* Wasabi

* Grapefruit (med allergy and I don't like anyways)

* Rare meat

* Most Prosciutto

Wasabi ??? I love those "explosions" in my head  LOL :sweat:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Things I do not like or cannot eat:

Nutrasweet - allergic!

Licorice/liquorice  - don't like the flavor

Anise/aniseed/ star anise - taste too much like licorice

Fennel - same as anise, taste too much like licorice

Peaches - don't like the flavor

Apricots - taste like peaches

Pistachios - don't like the flavor

There are others, but this leads the list!

As to some of the other ones mentioned:

Peanut butter - Yum! :thumbsup:

Wasabi - just like horseradish ..... I do indeed like it!

Shrimp is the ONLY seafood I like

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

There are many ingredients referred to as curry. The one I definitely don't like is the one that makes the food taste and smell like burnt sneakers. 

Parsnips - smell like puppy's breath to me. Can't get past that. 

Anchovy along with caviar

Tongue: by me its praises go unsung

it should have stayed where it came from

Because:

I hate to lick a food that licks me back. :sick:

Edited by kejedo