JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Write a story one line at a time

Greenfield

"Informal Public witnessing of course", he says. So off we go with an extra box of literature and ready for adventure.

ED> forgot about the new name change

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

We pull in and get out and then our old-timer stalwart* Circuit Overseer points out that the local Pentecostal Evangelical Megachurch is having a huge picnic there that day.

*That's a word I haven't broken out in a while.

Jerry - one sentence at a time. :D But for that you could have just put: "...he says, and so off we go..."

Also, I thought only the term "alternative" was being replaced, not "informal"? I think informal witnessing is done when you're not dressed up for time specifically dedicated to preaching.

We pull in and get out and then our old-timer stalwart* Circuit Overseer points out that the local Pentecostal Evangelical Megachurch is having a huge picnic there that day.

Suddenly the biggest smile came over the confident Circuit Overseers face as he declared, "no not at homes today".

Undeterred and after some private personal prayers we packed away our watchtowers and went around the people with bibles in hand and by the use of many brochures and books declared Jehovah's glorious name and taught all those who were honest, hungry and humble about the good news of our king and his kingdom.

Thus far we have:

Though still sleepy, I opened my eyes to a bright, beautiful and sunny day outside. I rolled out of bed, picked myself up off the floor and got in to the hot shower. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Excited over an expected delivery, I hastily jumped out of the shower and ran to the peep hole in the door, dripping wet without thinking to grab a towel.

There stood the Circuit Overseer and his wife. In horror, I shrieked and backed away from the door, slipping on the wet floor and falling to the unforgiving hardwood right on my bum. Then, an idea came to mind - just like my calls, I will pretend I am not at home. Then there was a strong rapping-RAP RAP RAP-on the door and a stern, manly voice saying: "I know you are in their Brother Problematic, so you might as well open up, we were assigned to work together today." I shout, "Genesis 3:10!" after which I run to my closet and hurriedly pick out my service clothes. The curmudgeonly, yet loveable Circuit Overseer barks out, "Take your time, it's not a hundred degrees out yet."

I threw my clothes on, combed my hair, and sped in my car to my new Kingdom Hall and the congregation I was assigned to. Suddenly, a police car, siren blasting, lights flashing appeared in my rear view mirror. To my embarrassment, the officer followed us into the Kingdom Hall parking lot, lights still flashing. Hyperventilating, I exit my car as the officer saunters up to me and says, "I was wondering if I could get the latest Watch Tower and Awake magazines from ya?"

"Absolutely Officer but I have to go inside to get them, would you like a tour of our new Kingdom Hall?"

After the officer says, "Yes," me and our Circuit Overseer give him the full tour. After exiting the building, the officer says, "I have heard rumors about secret hanky-panky rooms but I didn't see any such thing," to which the Circuit Overseer said, "There's also a basement I didn't show you", after which I quickly point out no such room exists, and sending him away, we go inside and meet with the group.

Overhearing your conversation, the presiding overseer whispers in your ear, "Are you sure no such room exists?," while pointing to what seemed like a slightly out of place bit of carpet on the platform. To which I said, "Oh that's funny, for you well know that that is where your ever so embarrassed dear wife broke water while giving a #2 talk." Suddenly the coordinator of the body of elders' face went red, eyes scrunched up and he let out a bark like a dog as his tourettes suddenly kicked in. The curmudgeonly, yet lovable Circuit Overseer, desperately trying to salvage the morning from total hysteria, begins the meeting for service by saying, "Let's begin with prayer - Dear God, Jehovah, we beg for peace and unity and your blessing out in the ministry today, and we say this through Jesus Christ, amen," and quickly the order is restored and the Tourette's disappears from the coordinator.

The Circuit Overseer then proceeded to share some new and exciting ways of starting Bible Studies on the first call with the `Learn From God's Word' section of the Watchtower, some of these were very interesting and in ways we had not thought of before. I thought it was quite interesting how he encouraged us to do more informal witnessing like beach and park witnessing. Yet still with the need to be mindful of our dress and grooming, a bikini and belly button piercings could distract even in the informal setting, so cover it up, button it up or pin it and many may listen to the word. Then the Circuit Overseer made the groups and assigned me with himself, his wife and the COBE and his wife and their young son, six in all. The circuit overseer then closed with a prayer and declared we were off to the local lake by the park.

"What for?" I asked. "Public witnessing of course", he says. So off we go with an extra box of literature and ready for adventure. We pull in and get out and then our old-timer stalwart Circuit Overseer points out that the local Pentecostal Evangelical Megachurch is having a huge picnic there that day. Suddenly the biggest smile came over the confident Circuit Overseers face as he declared, "no not at homes today". With the Circuit Overseer at my side, we headed straight for the barbi, or so I thought.

From what seemed like out of nowhere sprang a short but smart looking fella who told us that it was a 'I love Jesus' picnic and that we could only enter if we love him. I replied that I love Jesus and that we had come here to share the same message that Jesus shared, the good news of the Kingdom, while showing him Mark 1:14, 15, but then he saw our Watchtower magazines. "The Watchtower, I love to read them but please don't tell anyone hear or I'll be attacked and my wife will be forced to divorce me." My Circuit Overseer and I exchanged meaningful glances, while a pregnant pause followed. Undeterred and after some private personal prayers we packed away our watchtowers and went around the people with bibles in hand and by the use of many brochures and books declared Jehovah's glorious name and taught all those who were honest, hungry and humble about the good news of our king and his kingdom.

Once back at the Hall the COBE and CO met with me in the second school.

Beside a few commendation and much encouragement, he graciously invited me to join the others in the break room where warm and cold lunch treats were already prepared. I was hungry after that in testing morning of preaching the good news. I grabbed a floppy paper plate and filled it with..

carrots and celery sticks but drooling over the other dishes, as I was trying my best to be faithful to my diet.

As a reminder, only one sentence per post. For further game rules see Post #1

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25