JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vatican paper says 'The Simpsons' are okely dokely

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 5216 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Vatican paper says 'The Simpsons' are okely dokely

VATICAN CITY — To put it as the devout Ned Flanders would, the Vatican's newspaper thinks "The Simpsons" are an okely dokely bunch.

L'Osservatore Romano on Tuesday congratulated the show on its 20th anniversary, praising its philosophical leanings as well as its stinging and often irreverent take on religion.

Without Homer Simpson and the other yellow-skinned characters "many today wouldn't know how to laugh," said the article titled "Aristotle's Virtues and Homer's Doughnut."

The paper credited "The Simpsons" — the longest-running American animated program — with opening up cartoons to an adult audience.

The show is based on "realistic and intelligent writing," it said, though it added there was some reason to criticize its "excessively crude language, the violence of certain episodes or some extreme choices by the scriptwriters."

Religion, from the snore-evoking sermons of the Rev. Lovejoy to Homer's face-to-face talks with God, appears so frequently on the show that it could be possible to come up with a "Simpsonian theology," it said.

Homer's religious confusion and ignorance are "a mirror of the indifference and the need that modern man feels toward faith," the paper said.

It commented on several religion-themed episodes, including one in which Homer calls for divine intervention by crying: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

"Homer finds in God his last refuge, even though he sometimes gets His name sensationally wrong," L'Osservatore said. "But these are just minor mistakes, after all, the two know each other well."

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Article Source: Google News

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I watch this show only when I stumble upon it. It can be really hilarious, and sometimes crude. It came our when I was a kid and I remember there being a lot of controversy over this show then. Today they are a household name.

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey....The pope thought the Holocaust was "okie dokie", too.....remember?

I never let my girls watch the Simpsons and I don't care for it today. Of course I"m not a big TV fan anyway, but I think its just gross. Thats just my own personal idea on it...not trying to oush my conscious on anyone.

Hey....The pope thought the Holocaust was "okie dokie", too.....remember?

Funny :)

I never let my girls watch the Simpsons and I don't care for it today. Of course I"m not a big TV fan anyway, but I think its just gross. Thats just my own personal idea on it...not trying to oush my conscious on anyone.

That's a good thing. Most brothers and sisters do all right about keeping their consciences to themselves. The only ones that have problems are those that think EVERYTHING is evil.

Well, Bob....I feel like we all do things that might bother others conscious's. That is our individualism. I just try to keep some things quiet so I don't have to hear about it from others who's conscious may not be able to handle that particular thing. I learned the hard way.....you know what I mean...hehehe!

None of us are perfect.....what I need to work on is probably something you have nipped in the bud, but your weakness may be my strength. Thats why we all need eachother so much...to help us keep standing. All that any of us can do is to just keep trying and hope that Jah realizes that we are just dust and will keep overlooking the problems we are always working on. I'm wish we humans overlooked eachothers faults as thoroughly as Jehovah does. Some seem to expect perfection from others, but not themselves. And that is the thorn in their side....not realising it.

Let's just all keep trying!!!!