JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Links to more websites produced and maintained by other Jehovah’s Witnesses (Master List)

11 minutes ago, Sheep said:

The term apologetics  is used as a branch of theology concerned with defending or proving the truth of doctrines. It has also been used by some JWs in reference to defending the truth that we preach.

Precisely!

I used didn't like associating the word "apologetics" with JWs...primarily because Christendom uses that term, and I don't recall seeing it in our publications. But it only means a "defense".

It appears "twice" in our publications (one article uses it two times and another uses it once), however, both articles are referring to Christendoms use of the term.

*** g82 7/8 p. 22 Resurrection of the Body or of the Whole Person? ***
Small wonder that Catholic reference works, such as the French Apologétique (Apologetics), call the “resurrection of the body” a “mystery.” But why are the Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant churches saddled with this “mystery”? The answer is that they are obliged to teach the “resurrection of the body” to free themselves from an embarrassing dilemma.

*** w53 9/15 p. 547 Jehovah, Not a Primitive Concept ***
Jehovah, Not a Primitive Concept
ACCORDING to one of America’s foremost theologians, Harry Emerson Fosdick, the Bible reveals a gradual development of man’s concept of God. Writing in the New Outlook, May 1953, he had, among other things, the following to say on this subject:
“The primary problem in Christian apologetics is . . . to achieve a concept of God which will require a minimum of argument because its intelligibility, reasonableness, and relevance to human need carry a self-authenticating authority. The problem is not new. It is old, dating from primitive man, from man as soon as he learned to think. Always the question was, in view of what we know now, how shall we think of God?
“The Bible itself is a major illustration. What a contrast between the ideas of God at its primitive beginnings and at its end! From the early battle cry, ‘Yahweh is a man of war: Yahweh is his name,’ to Jesus’ beatitude, ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God’—what a deepening of the concept of divine nature! What an expansion in man’s apprehension of God!
“The writers of the Scriptures traveled an ascending road with widening vistas, and because any God of this universe is infinite, that process can never stop. It critically confronts us today.”
Mr. Fosdick would thus have us believe that man of himself gradually ascended from a concept of Yahweh or Jehovah as a God of war to a God who blesses the peacemakers; and that the Bible, far from being a divine revelation to man, is but the record of man’s efforts to acquire an adequate concept of God. (Ex. 15:3, NW; Matt. 5:9) Whatever kind of apologetics that may be, it certainly is not Christian, for Christ Jesus never taught such things. He said, “Your word is truth.”—John 17:17, NW.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

It appears "twice" in our publications (one article uses it two times and another uses it once), however, both articles are referring to Christendoms use of the term.

Cool beans!

Thanks for finding those!

1 hour ago, Musky said:

Apostates use the term a lot whenever someone responds to their lies and false accusations.

Well, keep in mind that you're simply making a defense --- that's what the word means. Its becoming more of a pejorative because people associate it with excuse-making nowadays.

Here's a bit of advice: If an anyone ever accuses you of defending the organization, simply reply: "Wouldn't you defend those you love against false accusations?".

Turn it back on them.... 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, pholmes38 said:

More-or-less by accident i came across some Need-Greaters personal blogs:

http://steponover.blogspot.co.uk/

http://nutso42.blogspot.co.uk/

nutso42.bolgspot.com is from my congregation. He is an amazing young man. I love reading his blog and have been out in service with him many times when he is home. Many in our congregation are inspired by him.   :)

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

On February 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Dismal_Bliss said:

^ What Jerry said. In truth, we could probably maintain this list a little better than we do.

One of the reasons could be the rise in social networking sites, which serves as a kind of micro-blogging platform. 

would somebody clean up and reorganize this thread - its really a great idea, however its getting very messy and hard to find the valuable gems that exist among all the weeds, thank you 

Edited by timpin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can sort of understand using "JW" as a tag, it can make it easier for Witnesses to search for things they might be interested in.. but I am tired of seeing so many false advertising apps whenever I'm installing the official JW Language, Library, Sign Language apps on someone's new device. It makes it more difficult for those who are cognitively or technically challenged to have what they need for the meetings and service, and to stay safe.

While 'JW' is just a moniker or nickname, the official logos such JW.org and JW Library are trademarked. Pretty much all images used by the branch are copyright protected, although I doubt they'd press a brother for the sake of love and peace. Sigh... I'm probably guilty of hot-linking images on this forum.

https://www.jw.org/en/terms-of-use/#link0  "You may not: Post artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, videos, or articles from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, video-sharing site, or social network); Reproduce, duplicate, copy, distribute, or otherwise exploit any artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, text, or videos on this website for a commercial purpose or for money (even if no profit is involved).; Use this website or any of its artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, text, or videos for any purposes related to marketing."

I see nothing wrong with a person making a living around things that can benefit worship, provided they are extremely careful to keep business & worship in their proper place.
https://stoopsmanufacturing.com/ns/trademarks-copyrights-and-licensing/ Brothers and sisters, please keep in mind how Jesus felt about the temple reflecting on Jehovah's name.
(John 2:16) And he said to those selling the doves: “Take these things away from here! Stop making the house of my Father a house of commerce!*” (*Or “a marketplace; a business.”)

Edited by Myew

• 2 months later...