JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prince Likes to Keep it Clean!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3360 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Researching the meaning of the third eye (his latest band, apparently hand

chosen & named by him, is 3rdeyegirl) is quite revealing.

Hm. That's definitely something I would want to ask Prince about if I ever met him. He still does a lot of things that are unconventional even if his life is toned down now. I wonder if he's still holding on to some New Age, esorical stuff or if he uses another explanation to explain the name. I just don't want to judge him if he's still a brother though, like view him under a moral microscope. He may still do stuff that our conscience doesn't agree with but in the end it only matters what Jehovah thinks.

Researching the meaning of the third eye (his latest band, apparently hand

chosen & named by him, is 3rdeyegirl) is quite revealing.

From Wikipedia:

3rdeyegirl, stylized as 3RDEYEGIRL, is the current backing band for Prince. It is an all female trio consisting of the Canadian guitar player Donna Grantis, American drummer Hannah Ford and Danish bassist Ida Kristine Nielsen. They released the LP Plectrumelectrum on September 30, 2014.

Let's try to not read too much into things. I would look at his song lyrics before looking at the name of the band he is using to play his music at the moment.

Before the oversensitive crossover's from Facebook start tearing Prince apart, let's remember that this forum is visible to the public and Prince or anyone else can read your comments. Personally, I would never judge a brother on mere gossipy speculations.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

It was long rumoured that Dave Mustaine from Megadeth was raised a JW.  Curiousity got the better of me last year while at a book store so I picked up his newly released autobiography and sure enough, he was raised as a JW by his mom until he was into his early teens.  I won't post up any pics of him but just google Dave Mustaine.  Definitely is not in the truth now lol.

I heard Prince started looking into other religions when his child was born and died soon afterward.  He started looking into what other religions believe about death and the 'hereafter'.  Somehow Larry Graham got into the mix and the rest is history.  I believe that he is still a Witness.  Whenever I see him on t.v., I always look at the length of his hair, how much makeup he's wearing and whether he is wearing earrings or not.  Seems like all these things have been toned down quite a bit since being baptized.  

On a side note - I remember Theresa Graves coming to my congregation (in podunk, no where, Indiana!) when she came to the Embassy Theatre in Fort Wayne to help make known the plight of the Witnesses in Malawi in the early 70's.  She was staying with an elder's family in my congregation so I believe she came to two meetings that week.  I was only 11 or 12 at the time and I remember going up and introducing myself and welcoming her.  She was the prettiest woman I had ever met!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I can't say anything regarding Prince.  However,  I can say that pressure from the world is something we all face daily. Perhaps even moreso in the circles he travels in.  So I plan to include him in my prayers, prayers which include begging Jehovah for our brother to remain firm in his endurance. 

I can't say anything regarding Prince.  However,  I can say that pressure from the world is something we all face daily. Perhaps even moreso in the circles he travels in.  So I plan to include him in my prayers, prayers which include begging Jehovah for our brother to remain firm in his endurance. 

It's not like he couldn't get out of that type of life if he wanted!  Personally, why add more stress to the pile we already deal with?!  But like one brother said , he no doubt gets to witness to a whole different circle of people that the rest of us would never be able to get near.  I'm sure he doesn't stay in it for the money, he's already got plenty of that.  He probably just really loves his job.

It's not like he couldn't get out of that type of life if he wanted!  Personally, why add more stress to the pile we already deal with?!  But like one brother said , he no doubt gets to witness to a whole different circle of people that the rest of us would never be able to get near.  I'm sure he doesn't stay in it for the money, he's already got plenty of that.  He probably just really loves his job.

Maybe, maybe not.  Maybe where he is now, is because Jehovah has asked him to stay there.  He was handing out literature at his concert, when he was here a number of years ago.  Two teens were depicted on the cover of our main newspaper displaying them proudly, as he had made sure they had got their personal copies.

I haven't been to a concert in a very long time, but my guess is that he witnesses right there on stage too.  (I've seen snippets on the net, albeit not recently). 

I pray for him to endure and not be deceived.

I hope he holds fast to what drew him to Jehovah in the first place. I hope he remembers the promises for the future. This vicious world does all it can to make us forget, I pray he remembers.      

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

All I would say is that he is no different than the rest of us - in that he can have ebbs & flows in his spirituality. What worries me most is when it seems that people look at him as if because he is baptized all his choices and music, etc. must be acceptable and that we no longer have to discern for ourselves if it is indeed pleasing to Jehovah.

Saw it too with Michael Jackson - some I knew personally were so drawn in to his music even when it was becoming obvious that his choices were leaning heavily towards occult & demonic things.

We need to consider him as no different in association as any other brother or sister - not infallible just because he is now a baptized witness. His relationship with Jehovah and his sprituality can change and shift just like ours. We can't assume anything and should always discern for ourselves individually on a recurring basis whether we 'associate' with someone based on what we can discern from all the available evidence.

I personally don't see how pointing out use of a known occult (Hinduism) belief would be frowned on. Maybe there are things we should consider before embracing all his current music without question just because he is a brother.

I agree with Sharon - as we all need such- prayers for him to remain faithful & endure are the loving thing to do. His fame does make it all the more necessary to try and never bring reproach on Jehovah's name. I think he (and any in that spotlight & environment) have a really grave responsibility and are under tremendous pressure from Satan because Satan knows what a great opportunity there is to exploit his ties to Jehovah's name.

Edited by Tazzy

I guess I just feel that when I pray to Jehovah the brothers in Eritrea and South Korea, Sinapore, Russia and Ukraine, Isreal,West Africa, Turkmaninstan, Armenia and all those countries should take precident. Prince CHOOSES to do what he does - these other brothers do not. If I prayed for every single indivdual in my congregation, all those in this forum, in the brotherhood, in the world and then in the world of entertainment, Jehovah would definitely tune me out and I'd fall asleep before I could get through the list. Plus I pray for the individuals in my congregation, the pioneers, the governing body, the branch committee members, the bethelites, the missionaries in countries dealing with Ebola and terrorism, and the list goes on and on, so I probably will, most of the time, forget to mention Prince.

Edited by shali

I just meant prayers instead of judging or too much adoration / idolizing.

Yeah, in a general sense, I sometimes mention those in situations that come with lots of pressure and that they keep faithful mainly in regard to my concern for Jehovah's name not being marred by any untoward behaviour. But yes, not everyday or there'd be no time for anything else.

I guess I just feel that when I pray to Jehovah the brothers in Eritrea and South Korea, Sinapore, Russia and Ukraine, Isreal,West Africa, Turkmaninstan, Armenia and all those countries should take precident. Prince CHOOSES to do what he does - these other brothers do not. If I prayed for every single indivdual in my congregation, all those in this forum, in the brotherhood, in the world and then in the world of entertainment, Jehovah would definitely tune me out and I'd fall asleep before I could get through the list. Plus I pray for the individuals in my congregation, the pioneers, the governing body, the branch committee members, the bethelites, the missionaries in countries dealing with Ebola and terrorism, and the list goes on and on, so I probably will, most of the time, forget to mention Prince.

Do you pray for our brothers? Do you decide which of our brothers deserve the blessings of the Spirit?

I believe there is a scripture about a rafter is there not?

If you are doing the judging then I stand not chance.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Luke 15:4

From Luke 15:4, what a loving, patient Father we have. I am grateful.

*** w03 2/1 pp. 15-16 “Have Love Among Yourselves” ***

Take the Initiative
12 The shepherd takes the initiative and makes a deliberate effort to find the missing sheep. Hardship, danger, and distance do not hold him back. On the contrary, the shepherd persists “until he finds it.”—Luke 15:4.
13 Similarly, reaching out to a person in need of encouragement often requires that the stronger one take the initiative. Faithful men of old understood this. For instance, when Jonathan, King Saul’s son, noticed that his bosom friend David was in need of encouragement, Jonathan “rose up and went to David at Horesh, that he might strengthen his hand in regard to God.” (1 Samuel 23:15, 16) Centuries later, when Governor Nehemiah saw that some of his Jewish brothers had grown weak, he too “immediately rose” up and encouraged them ‘to keep Jehovah in mind.’ (Nehemiah 4:14) We today will also want to ‘rise up’—take the initiative—to strengthen those who are weak. But who in the congregation should do so?
14 Christian elders, in particular, have the responsibility to “strengthen the weak hands . . . and make the knees that are wobbling firm” and to “say to those who are anxious at heart: ‘Be strong. Do not be afraid.’” (Isaiah 35:3, 4; 1 Peter 5:1, 2) Note, however, that Paul’s admonition to “speak consolingly to the depressed souls” and to “support the weak” was not given to elders only. Rather, Paul’s words were directed to the entire “congregation of the Thessalonians.” (1 Thessalonians 1:1; 5:14) Reaching out to those who are weak is thus a task for all Christians. Like the shepherd in the illustration, each Christian should be moved to “go for the lost one.” Of course, this is done most effectively in cooperation with the elders. Could you take some steps to assist a weak one in your congregation?

And this point is NOT lost on me, I'm sure we can all relate to this from some point in our spiritual lives"

*** w03 2/1 p. 15 pars. 9-10 “Have Love Among Yourselves” ***

Such individuals may be spiritually weak, yet they are not necessarily rebellious. Despite their weakened state, to some extent they may still be keeping Jehovah’s requirements. (Psalm 119:176; Acts 15:29) Hence, as in times past, Jehovah is slow to “cast them away from before his face.”—2 Kings 13:23.
10 Like Jehovah and Jesus, we too are deeply concerned about those who are weak and missing from the Christian congregation. (Ezekiel 34:16; Luke 19:10) We view a spiritually weak individual as a lost sheepnot a lost cause. We do not reason: ‘Why worry about a weak one? The congregation is getting along just fine without him.’ Rather, like Jehovah, we view those who have drifted away but who want to return as being valuable.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

wow - I've reread this post and am still trying to figure out why I'm being accused of being judgemental. I would of thought this post would of put across my point that there are so many of our brothers in situations beyond their control and for some reason, these are the ones that come foremost to my mind when I pray for the brotherhood. NEVER, in this post did I say that I choose NOT to pray for Prince, I merely said that I may forget to mention him (personnally, by name) because these other situations seem more dire when I'm pouring my heart out to Jehovah. Of course, I always pray across the board for Jehovah to help us all in his organization to keep faithful for the sake of his name. Personally, I feel that those who feel I was being judgmental because I said that I might forget to mention some are the ones who are being judgmental. But to each their own. Everytime someone makes a post about what they do or do not do, you have to expect there will be people to find fault and jump all over it and judge you for it I guess.

Edited by shali

Do you pray for our brothers? Do you decide which of our brothers deserve the blessings of the Spirit?

I believe there is a scripture about a rafter is there not?

If you are doing the judging then I stand not chance.

I was referring to praying for brothers by specific name - I do pray for our brothers in general in all these areas but to pray in ALL these areas and use specific names is beyond my memories capability most of the time (except in extreme circumstances within the circle of people I know well) Thanks for impuning improper motives to me though - Would of thought you knew me better by now than to assume I don't pray for any of the brotherhood. In the times we are living in, I would make a guess that for most of us, praying for our brotherhood, locally, regionally and globally probbly takes up more than a fair share of our prayer time as this world goes deeper and deeper into the end.

Just to confirm what some others have said about Prince. He studied with Larry Graham. In one interview he gave with

Bro. Graham he called him his "soulmate". I think this was before he was baptized because he was wearing a red bandanna,

had a beard, and if I remember right also sported some earings

I have also seen a interview in which he explained why he didn't vote. and another, in which he was performing, and he high-

lighted the fact the staurous means stake. Holding his hands over his head to mimic the way Jesus died he intoned: "This means

that some one lied about the way someone died. " A rather bold move that I can't imagine gained him a lot of friends among his

music promoters.

As far as some of his current conduct on tour, one could hope he finds a little more balance as he matures. and surely since he

has done a 180% turn in his act and how raunchy it was. He will certainly have many attacks by Satan seeking to compromise

him. Look at what happened to Michael Jackson after he produced the Billie Jean album. So he needs our prayers just as do

all who work in the music industry.

Now a word or two about Teresa Graves. She and Goldie Hawn were the Bikini Girls on Rowan and Martin's Laugh - In. I did

not see her in anything else until she starred in " Get Christie Love ", a detective show with her as the star. By then she had

become a witness and I remember reading she had written into her contract she would get off in time for all meetings. Her attair

on the show would always be modest, she would use no curse words nor any engage in any undue violence. ( Christian princi-

pals sure take the racier and "exciting " side off of detective work ). I think as a result the show lasted only one season.

On final Teresa Grave Story I will share. see if anyone else remembers this about her. Back in the 70s when she became a

witness was still some of the time the brothers in Malawi were having so much trouble being persecuted by the ruffians of Kamasu

Banda. I remember very distinctly she appeared on Good Morning America with the then host David Hartley to bring public

awareness to this great injustice being done. So she not only was a fine witness, she used her influence to help our brothers in

a number of ways. That she died in such a tragic way is sad beyond words, But we know she does not go forgotten by our God

Jehovah. Nor to many of the brothers and sisters who remember her, that she was an inspiration to, and whom she was a help.

GStorrs46

Thank you Michael for all that information!  I do know that Theresa Graves also did a vampire move with David Niven (I believe she played his wife) and he was on a mission to 'resurrect' her from the dead or something, he was a vampire.  Can't remember the name of it right off the bat, but it obviously done before she got the truth.

I have lots of time to think & mull things over while I work. Be happy I am not able to type here my musings! Lol!

In the case of this recent discussion, I want to make clear that, while I personally don't go out of my way to listen to Prince's music (just not my type), I have in the past thought his use of opportunities to share the truth have been wonderful. I in no way condemn or judge him for his choices in what he does - nor would I be likely to tell anyone else in person whether I think he is still a Witness or if they should listen to his music / go to his concerts, etc. but Jaydon had asked if anyone had any clues in the context of the fact that her mother was feeling like Prince may no longer be an active Witness.

My reference to his band was to show something that may lead another witness to wonder about his choice (not necessarily that he is no longer a Witness but perhaps he is wavering on some aspects of his faith?). In fact, if he were to read here maybe he'd realize that the choice of such a name for his band could lead some to accept that the premise of a 3rd eye is ok for Christians (and hey, I've known MS's and others who love the band 'third eye blind' - perhaps not knowing or investigating the background of that term having not ever been exposed to the significance behind it. That's their decision. Knowing Prince's interest in Hinduism, he likely is well aware of the meaning behind the reference to a 3rd eye.)

But unless it was music being played in my home or presence by my own kids, I have nothing to say about anyone listening to his music. For me personally, occult references are a turn off. If Jaydon's mom feels unsure or not interested in listening to Prince's music for any reason, I just feel her conscience should also be respected (whether Prince is or isn't still an active Witness doesn't really have to be proved to her - she may just have a feeling that SHE personally would rather not listen to his music.) it baffles me as to why Jaydon really put that out here. Is it solely to try and find references to his indeed at some point being a Witness as evidence to convince her to continue to listen to his music? Anyone can be a Witness today and maybe tomorrow go back to old practices or beliefs (I'm not saying Prince has) so any real knowledge of his current standing is subjective to knowing him on a personal level. No news article or tv interview or someone else's opinion can ever replace personal acquaintance.

Sometimes I get a little tired of others trying to convince me that I need to think, do, like, things they accept. There are those who invest so much energy in trying to convince others and forget that we all have consciences that we can follow. Our choices (those who would rather not listen) should also be respected. Yes, give Prince the benefit of the doubt and hope and pray he remains strong in his faith and keeps giving a good witness but don't try and convince others to listen to or accept his music if they are not comfortable with it. If you like his music, by all means enjoy it!

Edited by Tazzy

About Teresa Graves career - from IMDB

Get Christie Love! (TV Series)1974-1975
Christie Love

1974 Black Eye
Cynthia
 1974 Old Drac
Countess Vampira
 1973 That Man Bolt
Samantha Nightingale
 1973 The Rookies (TV Series)
Susan Davis
- Easy Money (1973) ... Susan Davis
 1972 The New Dick Van Dyke Show (TV Series)
Nurse Allen
- The Needle (1972) ... Nurse Allen
 1972 Keeping Up with the Joneses (TV Movie)
 1971 The Funny Side (TV Series)
Minority Wife
- The Funny Side of the Consumer (1971) ... Minority Wife
 1969-1970 Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In (TV Series)
Regular Performer
- Episode #3.26 (1970) ... Regular Performer
- Episode #3.25 (1970) ... Regular Performer
- Episode #3.24 (1970) ... Regular Performer
- Episode #3.23 (1970) ... Regular Performer
- Episode #3.22 (1970) ... Regular Performer
 1969 Turn-On (TV Series)
Regular
- Episode #1.1 (1969) ... Regular

• Was influenced by her Bible-studying cousin Peggy to become a Jehovah's Witness. While she was in England in 1973 filming Old Drac (1974), Teresa became intensely involved in the religion, acting in the film by day and studying the Bible by night.
  • Completely abandoned her acting career in 1983 in order to concentrate on her spiritual life as a Jehovah's Witness.
  • Teresa never married, deciding to only "marry in the Lord." She became a full-time Jehovah's Witness preacher in the mid-1970s.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~