JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prince Likes to Keep it Clean!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3388 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Interesting title to the album " Art Official Age " We do live in in a time everything in this world is artificial ...

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

I guess I just feel that when I pray to Jehovah the brothers in Eritrea and South Korea, Sinapore, Russia and Ukraine, Isreal,West Africa, Turkmaninstan, Armenia and all those countries should take precident. Prince CHOOSES to do what he does - these other brothers do not. If I prayed for every single indivdual in my congregation, all those in this forum, in the brotherhood, in the world and then in the world of entertainment, Jehovah would definitely tune me out and I'd fall asleep before I could get through the list. Plus I pray for the individuals in my congregation, the pioneers, the governing body, the branch committee members, the bethelites, the missionaries in countries dealing with Ebola and terrorism, and the list goes on and on, so I probably will, most of the time, forget to mention Prince.

Brigette, pray for me too, pleeease. :)

I know a brother in Windsor Ontario that met Prince. He hung out after a show I think in Detroit. He was with the Brother that studied with him. Very humble man and he was enthralled with my friend because he had been a missionary. I guess they all jammed had a blast. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

He can reach people I/we would have no hope of contacting. As for the glasses... Perhaps he has actually grown a third eye? We haven't considered that have we? Let's not judge someone for being optically copious.

And again, with every new album release, there is a theme or a gimmick for promotion. Could it be possible that he thought 'hey, since the band I am working with is called 3rdEyeGirl, I'll take my trademark sunglasses and add a 3rd lens.' and maybe, just maybe, it had nothing to do with false religion at all?

Far be it from me to pick my brother apart over straws. I like to save that energy for rafters.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Fun fact about self:

In junior high in music class we had to write a rap. I tried to make it theocratic. I remember some of it.

The news are darka andrhe smiles are gone.

People are suffering but not for long

There's a lot of trouble, danger and war

Many are losing; taking the score.

Later in the life the wicked will fall

And with all the animals, a child will rule them all.

That's all I remember. It's safe to say I'm not a good rapper. I'll stick to singing and writing less cheesy lyrics. Though, that was pretty decent rap lyrics for my age at the time

~Van

wow - I've reread this post and am still trying to figure out why I'm being accused of being judgemental. I would of thought this post would of put across my point that there are so many of our brothers in situations beyond their control and for some reason, these are the ones that come foremost to my mind when I pray for the brotherhood. NEVER, in this post did I say that I choose NOT to pray for Prince, I merely said that I may forget to mention him (personnally, by name) because these other situations seem more dire when I'm pouring my heart out to Jehovah. Of course, I always pray across the board for Jehovah to help us all in his organization to keep faithful for the sake of his name. Personally, I feel that those who feel I was being judgmental because I said that I might forget to mention some are the ones who are being judgmental. But to each their own. Everytime someone makes a post about what they do or do not do, you have to expect there will be people to find fault and jump all over it and judge you for it I guess.

I think it was just the way the post came across, sometimes tone is hard to read online (insert flower thingy of peace offering).  I certainly agree there are brothers enduring much worse things.  

:flowers:

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

And again, with every new album release, there is a theme or a gimmick for promotion. Could it be possible that he thought 'hey, since the band I am working with is called 3rdEyeGirl, I'll take my trademark sunglasses and add a 3rd lens.' and maybe, just maybe, it had nothing to do with false religion at all?

Far be it from me to pick my brother apart over straws. I like to save that energy for rafters.

Ok, I tried not to reply but I have to say I find this logic hard to wrap my head around.

First, how can a third eye not be representative of a false religious belief? Even if he doesn't believe in it himself, it is what it is. Or at least it is what most people will believe it is or that it represents a belief based in false religion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye (disclaimer - yes I know this is Wikipedia but it still gives a general view of the public's perception of it)

"The third eye (also known as the inner eye) is a mystical and esoteric concept referring to a speculative invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight......... The third eye is often associated with religious visions, clairvoyance, the ability to observe chakras and auras, precognition, and out-of-body experiences. People who are claimed to have the capacity to utilize their third eyes are sometimes known as seers."

So if we follow the logic that it is just an innocent gimmick or theme, how would it be any different to portray a cross on the cover or wear one just for the cover?

Lastly, he didn't just pick up a band named 3rdEyeGirl. He hand picked the members, put the band together and named it, according to what I've read.

Oh and I definitely am not picking my brother apart. I am concerned mainly about the paramount issue of how others may perceive a false religious symbol being used by a well-known Witness bearing Jehivah's name. And perhaps newer ones being mislead or letting their guard down about occult based symbols and how that may affect them in their relationship with Jehovah. Demons and occult are not something to just throw around as a gimmick or theme.

Edited by Tazzy

Since we're turning straws into rafters.....

First, how can a third eye not be representative of a false religious belief?

My son will draw monsters or people with 3 eyes. I have not raised him in mysticism.

People will often refer to having a 'third eye' or a 'sixth sense' simply because these have become modern English idiomatic expressions

Even if he doesn't believe in it himself, it is what it is.

Is it "it is what it is" for my son, too?

Maybe it is what I said above, a gimmicky promotion. He isn't going to use crosses or sex anymore, so adding a 3rd lens to his trademark sunglasses might have been the "ha ha ho ho he he" light-bulb-comes-on idea for this album. It might just be a cutesy thing.

Or at least it is what most people will believe it is or that it represents a belief based in false religion.

Most people will believe it's a 3rd lens on his trademark glasses inspired by the name of his current backup band.

yes I know this is Wikipedia but it still gives a general view of the public's perception of it)

I doubt the public at large even cares about it or has any idea that a 'third eye' has some symbolic meaning in false religion. And for the few that do know about this connection, they could care less too. Encyclopedia's reveal the truth about Christmas too, but most people don't read them and are still oblivious.

So if we follow the logic that it is just an innocent gimmick or theme, how would it be any different to portray a cross on the cover or wear one just for the cover?

Because he knows that the cross is a pagan symbol/idol of false worship.

Regarding the sunglasses, "Could it be possible that he thought 'hey, since the band I am working with is called 3rdEyeGirl, I'll take my trademark sunglasses and add a 3rd lens.' and maybe, just maybe, it had nothing to do with false religion at all?"

Lastly, he didn't just pick up a band named 3rdEyeGirl. He hand picked the members, put the band together and named it, according to what I've read.

Could it be possible that he thought 'let's take this 3 eye's promotional gimmick and name the band after it' and maybe, just maybe, it had nothing to do with false religion at all?

My emphasis on 'Could it be possible?' Personally, since my Christian love really does cover a multitude of sins, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Hey maybe it's also possible that the idols and altars that became prolific in Israel & Judah came about because it was just a thing that we shouldn't worry too much about, even tho it was false religion. Hey, who knows?

I know most won't know in the world what a third eye is but say we are studying with someone down the road who does have this belief and when we explain it to them they say " hey didn't that Witness named Prince have an album and band about the 3rd eye?"

And although this may not sit well with some, monsters and 3eyed cyclops etc are mythical creatures based from demons that will likely not exist, be used in imagery or glorified / have movies and books based on them or about in the Paradise because they are not based in truth. I know that will send some over the top saying I'm too 'strict ' in my thinking but hey I don't believe in toying with these ideas. And yesh, I also don't watch Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Disney Magic, etc. but I don't say anything about others who do. And I still think of them as my brothers and sisters and don't judge them for doing so.

I know most won't know in the world what a third eye is but say we are studying with someone down the road who does have this belief and when we explain it to them they say " hey didn't that Witness named Prince have an album and band about the 3rd eye?"

You answer "Yes he did. It could be that he wasn't aware that 3 eyes had a connection to some false religious belief systems. You'd have to take it up with Prince himself. But last I've heard, he is a brother." Case closed.

You could then have a nice discussion how we are all at varying levels of spiritual growth, both before and even long after baptism, in our service to Jehovah as we strive for spiritual maturity and a strong relationship with him.

As with all matters, we must each use our own conscience, even when choosing association with (or entertainment by) other Witnesses.

Brother Nelson has his own congregation, where his elders are surely keeping an eye on his actions. If the elders feel a need to give him counsel, I trust that they will do so. If the elders feel that his choices are a conscience matter, then it's not our place to state otherwise, let alone make unfounded and purely speculative claims that he has been disfellowshipped, is dabbling in spiritistic/occult symbolism, etc.

If we dig deep enough, all of us have items that stem from pagan or otherwise unacceptable roots. Windchimes are currently used in some areas to ward off evil spirits (w81 6/1 p. 31), wedding rings come from unscriptural traditions (w72 1/15 p. 63), neckties began as military and political insignia (g96 5/8 p. 31), pomegranates were used as a symbol in false religion (w07 2/15 p. 30), and so on, yet all of these are perfectly acceptable today.

Whatever brother Nelson's motives are for the extra sunglass lens, I trust that his elders have far more detail than we could ever glean from obviously biased and incomplete news articles.

"But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you also look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. For it is written: “‘As surely as I live,’ says Jehovah, ‘to me every knee will bend, and every tongue will make open acknowledgment to God.’” So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God.” Romans 14:10-12

:bible2:

Jaydon wondered if there was any reason her mom & her friend may be wary of whether Prince was still in good standing.

My reply showed one area that may have given them pause.

Since when does pointing out an aspect that goes directly against the Bible mean judging a brother.

“There should not be found in you anyone . . . who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah.”—Deuteronomy 18:10-12.

I never judged Prince. Just pointed out an aspect of the album that was concerning as in reference to the above scripture.

Brother Nelson has his own congregation, where his elders are surely keeping an eye on his actions. If the elders feel a need to give him counsel, I trust that they will do so. If the elders feel that his choices are a conscience matter, then it's not our place to state otherwise, let alone make unfounded and purely speculative claims that he has been disfellowshipped, is dabbling in spiritistic/occult symbolism, etc.

and if there was or wasn't such counsel, none of us would be privy to it, and still our own consciences would allow us to determine our comfort with the symbolism. I never said he was disfellowshipped or dabbling. Simply encouraged research on the symbolism. Never said he was using spiritism or the occult but certainly our views are not to be based on only if we hear he is counselled or anything. Could be any worldly singer, and I would look at all the aspects in the same way in making my decision. My original post was just to point out one concerning feature.

Jaydon wondered if there was any reason her mom & her friend may be wary of whether Prince was still in good standing.

My reply showed one area that may have given them pause.

A fair point, indeed, and it was good of you to point that out. Thank you.

Giving pause is one thing, but Jadon said "My mother insists that Prince is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses and so no longer wants to listen to his music. All because she heard from a sister who saw him on TV (not sure what show) and saw him using his symbol again (which is somehow bad?)."

This is a perfect example of being oversensitive and quick to judge. The mother heard something from someone else and jumps to making a statement that Prince is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses, i.e. he has been disfellowshipped or disassocited himself. In reality she doesn't know either way. The basis for this judgment is that this 3rd party sister said she saw him using his symbol again. So what? Did he ever stop?

As moderators, we have to balance quick-to-judge statements by oversensitive net-witnesses with reminders not to do so.

Since when does pointing out an aspect that goes directly against the Bible mean judging a brother.

“There should not be found in you anyone . . . who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah.”—Deuteronomy 18:10-12.

I never judged Prince. Just pointed out an aspect of the album that was concerning as in reference to the above scripture.

And I was just saying Prince isn't necessarily doing any of those things, because we cannot take a pair of sunglasses with a 3rd lens and boldly spread rumors that he is not our brother anymore. It's just as rude as saying he's not because he uses his symbol. I'm not saying you are doing this. My comments are more like preventative maintenance.

Could be any worldly singer, and I would look at all the aspects in the same way in making my decision. 

And this should be true of all of us, to give careful attention to the song choices we make.

Just because Prince is a brother doesn't mean we should all listen to him or imagine it's okay to listen to Prince's discography. In fact, his past stuff is frighteningly immoral.

In the middle of the night it occurred to me that I have the T.V. Guide article that was written about Theresa Graves after she died, it's somewhere in my attic. It was several pages long.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

In the middle of the night it occurred to me that I have the T.V. Guide article that was written about Theresa Graves after she died, it's somewhere in my attic. It was several pages long.

There was an atricle in Jet MG or TV Guide about her 40 years ago and I have that. She will be in the New World

• 2 weeks later...