JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Doctor Who - A Spoiler Free Discussion of The Best TV Show in Time and Space!

Does anybody here watch Doctor Who? It is a science fiction show aimed at older children that has been on since 1963. The longest running scifi show ever. There are more episodes of Doctor Who than of all the Star Trek franchises combined.

I've been watching since I was about 9 years old and am an addict :P

Here is a preview clip for the season ahead...

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 10 months later...

I had watched it in the early 80's when I was just a kid. It's a little bit hard to watch the older ones now that we are spoiled with modern special effects and cinematography.

The current shows are fantastic! That is, those from 2004 onward. The season I linked to above just came out on DVD and the next season will start early in 2011 in the UK. This new doctor didn't warm up to me until about half way through the season.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

My son is almost 13, big science fiction fan. He just recently started watching this show. I have not watched it myself yet, but he likes it.

It is considered a kids show in Britain.

My only caution would be that sometimes there is a situation going on that appears spiritistic in nature, only to later be discovered to be the work of aliens and alien technology. This is common with all science fiction though, as a popular plot point is to take the "unexplained" and explain it scientifically (or at least science fictionally).

I think it is a fantastic show though and recommend it to my friends with a clean conscience.

I watched the first new seris of Dr Who...a couple of years back.....but I do not watch a lot off tv.....most of the scenes are filmed around where I live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/doctorwho/

"Scenes have also been shot at the Millennium Stadium, where corridors have been used for underground sets, and the stadium itself during an episode depicting Britain around the time of the 2012 Olympics. Tours of the stadium are available."

.....that is the stadium where we have are conventions....

.....that is the stadium where we have are conventions....

Now that is cool :)

I watched the American Idol tour one year, and then stayed and cleaned the convention center and set it up for the District Convention that was due to start the very next morning.

Does anybody here watch Doctor Who? It is a science fiction show aimed at older children that has been on since 1963. The longest running scifi show ever. There are more episodes of Doctor Who than of all the Star Trek franchises combined.

I've been watching since I was about 9 years old and am an addict :P

Started watching when Tom Baker was the Doctor. Liked it ever since. I do not, however like the spin-off, Torchwood. Won't watch it anymore.

Started watching when Tom Baker was the Doctor. Liked it ever since. I do not, however like the spin-off, Torchwood. Won't watch it anymore.

Torchwood was complete and utter filth. The adult themes, bad language, and homosexuality in it should have made it banned from television altogether.

I likewise tried to tolerate it at first but it just kept getting worse and so I ditched it.

I watched the American Idol tour one year, and then stayed and cleaned the convention center and set it up for the District Convention that was due to start the very next morning.

In 1992...Michael Jackson was at the stadium in Cardiff,Wales UK doing the Dangerous Tour (I think that is the correct year and tour name)....so when we had our convention.....we had his huge black metallic stage there...and our little stage in front of it....

I was told that he said...we were welcome to use his stage for the convention...

Torchwood was complete and utter filth. The adult themes, bad language, and homosexuality in it should have made it banned from television altogether.

I likewise tried to tolerate it at first but it just kept getting worse and so I ditched it.

Totally agree except they did state that it wasn't meant for kids ( it was on later ((therefore more adult themes )) according to some in the Doc Who community on Lj )

Until I found out that the lead Character ( John Barrowman's ) was omnisexual I didn't get it either ( the sexual referances that is )

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

• 4 weeks later...

Live performance of Murray Gold's ending music from Doomsday. From the concert Doctor Who: A Celebration, Cardiff, 2006. Composed by Murray Gold. Performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, sung by Melanie Pappenheim, conducted by Ben Foster.

Live performance of Murray Gold's ending music from Doomsday. From the concert Doctor Who: A Celebration, Cardiff, 2006. Composed by Murray Gold. Performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, sung by Melanie Pappenheim, conducted by Ben Foster.

I might have that performance, or one similar to it, as a bonus feature on one of the season's box sets. I collect them all.

I remember watching Doomsday with my wife and daughter. We were all bawling our eyes out. It was so sad. :depressed:

And to think it's a kid's show. Have they no mercy in Britain? :P

This is today over the park...but behind the hill in the background... is the Gelligaer Common in Fochriiw' date=' Merthyr...where they filmed 'the Scottish Moorlands scene' for the "Tooth and Claw" episode...

20826=664-snow.jpg [/quote'] That is beautiful! Makes me want to grab my oil paint and canvas......

another piece of trivia...with a spiritual slant

....in the episode...The Runaway Bride... broadcast: 25th December 2006

the wedding reception scene (interior)...was filmed in an hotel...30mins drive away from me...

the hotel has since been bought and is now the...

old peoples home for Jehovahs Witnesses Jah–Jireh Home

...and the Merthyr Tydfil Congregations ...Kingdom Hall....

This is fascinating... the charity that is. And the fact that there is a Kingdom Hall attached.

I'd like to see this pop up all over the place!

another piece of trivia...with a spiritual slant

....in the episode...The Runaway Bride... broadcast: 25th December 2006

the wedding reception scene (interior)...was filmed in an hotel...30mins drive away from me...

I love this idea also. I wish there were some of these in America. I love to see us taking care of our own people.

This is fascinating... the charity that is. And the fact that there is a Kingdom Hall attached.

I'd like to see this pop up all over the place!

How amazing is that - I love the idea of a charity. This would make many things much easier and simpler. They did a great job with the website as well.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hello Crystal...wife of Bob...nice to speak to you:flowers:

I only saw the first series...for old times sake... and because it is set around places I know in Wales UK...I do not watch much TV...

but my daughter, son-in-law and young granddaughter all watch it...so I get a lot about it from them...

I think it's a hoot. Love how it's clean and the situations he finds himself in are entertaining. I really don't like the episodes with the angel

statues that move if you don't look at them or blink tho. Scares the sock off me!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 6 months later...

My husband and I deal with older Dr Who memorabilia as part of our business and attend some Sci-Fi Memorabilia fairs. We haven't watched many episodes since David Tennant left, as they started to say that the latest series with Matt Smith would start exploring Dr Who and his companions' sexuality!! Don't know if they have yet, as we gave up watching. Totally agree Torchwood is not good and the lead character is an ardent homosexual who is mainly a singer/entertainer. All BBC evening chat show hosts are homosexuals now. We preferred the older Dr Who adventures that were in longer series than just whole stories per episode or 2 episodes as the characters were more rounded out. I've watched since 1960's and the days of only black and white TV and 2nd TV Doctor Patrick Troughton, but my favourite was Jon Pertwee and his vintage car Bessy. One of his companion travellers was Sarah Jane Smith and I enjoyed the latest children's spin off 'The Adventures of Sarah Jane Smith', but, despite seeming a lively character, who you couldn't believe was a lady in her 60's, the actress died suddenly a few weeks ago,so that will end now - sad, I liked her. Here's a photo of my husband and I at a local event where one of our customer's (local football club chariman) put on a display of all his real Dr Who props and costumes and invited Colin Baker (with me in the photograph) who played Dr Who for a few years on BBC TV over 20 years ago. He was signing autographs and telling stories of his time with the show for charity, but mainly does theatre, Shakespeare and the like, now.

42459=1785-DrWho.jpg

42459=1786-daleksuit.jpg This is me in a rare original kid's dalek outfit from 1966 - we sold this rare collectable in it's original box to the customer who put on the local props display.