JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hairy Bikers lose weight!

In the UK, a couple of TV chefs are known as the "Hairy Bikers" because (you guessed it) they are very hairy and ride motorcycles! They are very big men from the North of England. They have toured the UK and Europe finding and cooking recipes from all over.

Now they realise they are overweight and want to lose weight while still eating tasty, satisfying food - so their new series is called the "Hairy Dieters".

For UK viewers the first two programmes are on BBC iPlayer and programme 3 airs on Thursday evening.

The recipes are online, though, HERE.

I am certainly going to try some of their recipes, as I want to lose weight, but don't want to give up on tasty food!

I have seen the Hairy Bikers. They are funny. Let us know if their dieting tips work. I am trying to get motivated to diet.

Chris. I use like watching the To Fat Ladies cooking show.They were funny. I know one died. But do you know if the Other lady still cooks, or does tv shows?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Myers is from my old home-town - Roa Island/ Barrow and Si King from the North East they are regulars at our food festivals here. Love their humour and camaraderie with the audience on the various food tours. I enjoyed their series "Mum's know Best" asking generations of Mothers and grannies to come to locally organised shows in circus tents in various fields around UK and show their family recipes. There were some interesting old hand-written recipe books turned up with lovely time-tested old family favourites and being so culturally diverse here, some real tasty stuff also from India, Asia and Africa.

It was great that they lost around 40 pounds each by the end of the 'Hairy Dieters' series and looked a lot healthier for it. They are so jolly and motivating and got plenty of encouragement from their long-suffering wives and children.

• 5 weeks later...

I never heard of the "Hairy Bikers" or "Hairy Dieters." I must have my head in a hole like an ostrich. But I think it must be a UK thing. At least, I have not seen them on TV here in the States. They sound like a couple of hoots! We do get a BBC channel here - I'll have to take a look at the programming and see if they are on there! :eat:

In the UK, a couple of TV chefs are known as the "Hairy Bikers" because (you guessed it) they are very hairy and ride motorcycles! They are very big men from the North of England. They have toured the UK and Europe finding and cooking recipes from all over.

Now they realise they are overweight and want to lose weight while still eating tasty, satisfying food - so their new series is called the "Hairy Dieters".

For UK viewers the first two programmes are on BBC iPlayer and programme 3 airs on Thursday evening.

The recipes are online, though, HERE.

I am certainly going to try some of their recipes, as I want to lose weight, but don't want to give up on tasty food!

I am using a program called LoseIt, it allows you to track your food and exercise, after having added some information about yourself (age, current weight, goal weight, height etc, and allows you to set the caloric values you should be taking in a day) . I am happy to report that I am now 9.2lbs less than I used to be, unfortunately I am still hairy, and I don't own a bike :(

• 2 years later...

The Hairy Bikers/Dieters were basically following a low carbohydrate diet and were monitored by Dr Roy Taylor of Newcastle University. He is one of the few Doctors around the world who has helped many people reverse their Type 2 diabetes by diet based on a low carb diet. He monitored type 2 diabetics, or they get a doctor familiar with the diet to monitor them, so that they don't get hypoglycated (too low blood sugar). 

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

(The newspaper says 'cure' - the media do exaggerate! It's a reversal to slow the onset or prevent the nasty illnesses that come with diabetes, not a cure. Once you have diabetes, you always have to be careful  about carbs/sugar, as you are sensitive to them from diagnosis onwards).

Here's a little 'taster' (pardon the pun) of their cooking style on TV:

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it immensely. They are funny. I wish I understood the deeper meanings behind some of the british sayings but I get a kick out of them anyway because they are so unusual to americans but they say it with so much zeal and emotions.