JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Your Favorite Illustrations!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1667 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 3/22/2013 at 1:49 AM, Hammerhead said:

The Switchman

There lived a man whose job it was to pull a switch that turns a bridge to allow trains to go over a river. The switch was designed to have to use pressure to keep the bridge locked into place while the train went across. At other times the bridge was in position to allow boats to carry on their cargo.

The man had a young son and a lovely wife and they lived happily.

Well one day after accomplishing several tasks the man is sitting with his family looking out over the work and feeling quite content when the bell rings signalling a trains approach. So the man rushes over to the shack and proceeds to pull the switch. While he is holding the switch he hears a noise that makes his skin crawl. His young son squeals "daddy" and is playing on the tracks. He yells at the child to get off the tracks but the child is still on the tracks. The man has time to let go of the switch get his son but the train will fall into the river. He looks out again and sees a passenger train coming at a high rate of speed.

He has time to do one of two things. Rescue his son or allow the train to continue its journey.

The man puts his head down with his arm locked on the controls sobbing as the train roars past, its passengers oblivious to the events that went on.

How did that man go back and tell his wife what happened?

We are all passengers on the train. Are we oblivious to what went on?

The man in illustration represents Jehovah. You can figure out the rest.

Here is another variation or the rest of the story to this illustration that made me cry the first time I read it a few years ago and it still does.  Especially after my own son was born who is now 20.   This is why I could never do the Memorial Talk.  

There was once a bridge that spanned a large river. During most of the day the bridge sat with its length running up and down the river paralleled with the banks, allowing ships to pass through freely on both sides of the bridge. But at certain times each day, a train would come along and the bridge would be turned sideways across the river, allowing the train to cross it. 

A switchman sat in a shack on one side of the river where he operated the controls to turn the bridge and lock it into place as the train crossed. 

One evening as the switchman was waiting for the last train of the day to come, he looked off into the distance through 

the dimming twilight and caught sight of the train lights. He stepped onto the control and waited until the train was within a prescribed distance. Then he was to turn the bridge. He turned the bridge into position, but, to his horror, he found the locking control did not work. If the bridge was not securely in position, it would cause the train to jump the track and go crashing into the river. This would be a passenger train with MANY people aboard. 

He left the bridge turned across the river and hurried across the bridge to the other side of the river, where there was a lever switch he could hold to operate the lock manually. 

He would have to hold the lever back firmly as the train crossed. He could hear the rumble of the train now, and he took hold of the lever and leaned backward to apply his weight to it, locking the bridge. He kept applying the pressure to keep the mechanism locked. Many lives depended on this man's strength. 

Then, coming across the bridge from the direction of his control shack, he heard a sound that made his blood run cold. 

"Daddy, where are you?" His four-year-old son was crossing the bridge to look for him. His first impulse was to cry out to the child, "Run! Run!" But the train was too close; the tiny legs would never make it across the bridge in time.. 

The man almost left his lever to snatch up his son and carry him to safety. But he realized that he could not get back to the lever in time if he saved his son. 

Either many people on the train or his own son - must die. 

He took but a moment to make his decision. The train sped safely and swiftly on its way, and no one aboard was even aware of the tiny broken body thrown mercilessly into the river by the on rushing train. Nor were they aware of the pitiful figure of the sobbing man, still clinging to the locking lever long after the train had passed. They did not see him walking home more slowly than he had ever walked; to tell his wife how their son had brutally died. 

Now, if you comprehend the emotions that went through this man's heart, you can begin to understand the feelings of Our Father in Heaven when He sacrificed His Son to bridge the gap between us and eternal life. 

• 5 months later...

In our public today the speaker used, what I thought, was a really excellent illustration to show that the "soul" is not a separate thing that goes somewhere after death.

He said think of life being like combining yellow and blue - you get green.

Now, if you remove either the yellow or the blue, where does the green go?

• It does not float off above
  • It does not sink below
  • It is not hovering near the yellow or the blue waiting to be "put back"
  • It simply does not exist anymore!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 4 months later...

The following illustration can be used to explain to those who say that all religions are pleasing to God.

Cats usually are loving pets and in their pursuit to please their owners or masters, they sometimes kill a rat or two and then present the kill in front of them to offer as a "sacrifice". What's the reaction of the owner? They usually find it disgusting and shooo the cat and it's "sacrifice" away.

Similarly, all the sacrifices that other religions think they are offering to God, he finds disgusting. 

• 2 weeks later...

PICTURE THIS: You are touring a museum full of ancient monuments. Most are pitted, weathered, and eroded. Some have great chunks missing. One, though, is remarkably intact; its intricate design is clear in every detail. “Is this one newer than the others?” you ask your guide. “No,” he responds, “it is older than most, and it has never been rebuilt.” “Has it been sheltered?” you ask. “No,” says your guide, “this one has faced the worst wind and rain. And many vandals have tried to mar it.” Perhaps you would wonder in amazement, ‘What is it made of?’

The Bible, though, stands out as different. The writing of it began over 35 centuries ago, yet the Bible is intact. And though it has been attacked again and again over the centuries—burned, banned, and belittled—its statements have weathered every onslaught. Far from being proved obsolete in the face of new knowledge, the Bible says much that shows amazing foresight.—See the box “Outdated or Ahead of Its Time?

(Source The Watchtower- No 1/2018)

Speaking of cats. Every once in a while, I use this illustration. There are cats all over the world. Different kinds, colors, even temperaments. Does where they are, the different breed, the different colors, does that make any real difference? In the end, they are cats, with the same eventuality. Humans, (albeit, a higher life form,)are the same.They are humans, with the responsibility to answer to their Creator. No exceptions. Try to justify as you may, no exceptions. All humans are related, and all have Ademic sin, and all need to go to Jehovah, and do what they can to alleviate that sin. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

My wife and I were talking about the aspects of the fruitage of the spirit and we compare it to an apple on a tree. The desirable aspects of the apple are size, shape, color, aroma, texture, taste, health and so on. All of these are needed for the apple to be considered a good fruit. It's the same with the aspects of the fruitage of the spirit, you can't leave out any of them and still be a good apple...:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Today's talk had a cute illustration for Matthew 7:7-"Keep on asking, and it will be given to you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you."

The speaker said, "this reminds me of Fruit Roll Ups."  (For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a fruity sweet snack for kids...and me lol).  The brother said when he was little, his parents were opposed of letting the kids have much sweets, but they would allow them to have Fruit Roll Ups.  So when they went shopping at the grocery store, he would ask over and over for the snack. He'd tugged on his mom's clothes, and he would run to the produce aisle and grab it, and ask again.  Sometimes he'd sneak it into the shopping cart, or "if you're really smart you sneak it onto the conveyor belt as everything is being scanned".  

That's what kids do when they earnestly want something.  It seems like nothing can swayed them otherwise.  So when we're praying, and we're seeking God, don't give up!  Keep on asking!  Be earnest in your prayers!  It takes effort, not only to pray, but to live by our prayers.  By showing we're putting in the work to have good standing, and show how much we love Jehovah.  In the end, our efforts will be rewarded.

~Van

On 1/23/2016 at 4:56 AM, Dages said:

(Just know the real money and you'll be able to identify the fake one, Bible Teach book, ok?)

Covered this info with a Bible Student this week. She was very moved by the illustration, and thought it was quite practical. We both considered other religions before finding the "truth." I mentioned how loving it was for Jehovah to have  given us instructions so that we don't have to trail blaze and learn everything through painful experiences, by trial and error 

This message being my first time of sharing what I see to be an illustration...,please check whether it Worthy of being an illustration:D

A girl by name Fatima went to school in the neighbouring village where she wasn't known well.

For three weeks, she came to school late and every time the teacher punished her.

On the fourth week, Fatima didn't attend school at all and many thought she had *GIVEN UP* on school due to the everyday punishment.

However, Fatima reported again on fifth week and this time she came earlier than everybody.

When the teacher came to class, Fatima was punished for not attending school the previous week but the teacher was also kind enough to commend her for coming early that day, stating that the punishments had finally yielded some results.

Just then, Fatima asked if she could say something and the teacher gave her permission.

*She started :*

_"I've been raised up by a single mother without a brother or a sister. Five weeks ago, my mother fell ill and was hospitalized. The three weeks I came late, I had to prepare something for her every morning and pass by the hospital to deliver the same. Unfortunately, mother passed away last week and that's the reason I didn't come to school. We buried her last Friday. Today I came early since I didn't have to prepare anything or even pass by the hospital. And now that she is gone, I will always be here early''_

As she sat down, no one in the whole class was able to hold their tears, the teacher was not spared either.

*Lesson:*

How many times do we judge others for things we know not ? 

We ask questions like :

- When will you get married? 
- When will you have kids ?
- When will you find a job ? 
-When will you buy a car?
-When will you build a house?
etc.... 

Do we attempt to understand their situations or we just judge from the *case scenarios* 

Some situations are not relative and what we think could be very far from the truth. 

Don't assume you know what others go through or that people move in the same pace or direction as you

_*Life is far from that..*_

Just be kind enough to love one another as God has commanded,
 take time and kindly find out why your friend is not phoning,
 why your messages are not being replied promptly,
why they haven't visit,
why they are not coming to worship,
 why someone is missing in our midst as a colleague, friend, brother or sister,
why someone is always late etc

*Be kind always.*
*Be nice to others.

Please fill free to share 

• 4 weeks later...

Speaker last Sunday gave an illustration for James 1:22 about what it’s like to be hearers of the word and not doers.

Being hearers of the word is like having the most delicious looking 5 star meal....in your mind.  It’s a nice dream, but you can’t get the nutrients from it.  

To be doers of the word, we not only can eat this amazing meal, but we get all the benefits from it.

~Van

Today's talk had a cute illustration for Matthew 7:7-"Keep on asking, and it will be given to you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you."

The speaker said, "this reminds me of Fruit Roll Ups."  (For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a fruity sweet snack for kids...and me lol).  The brother said when he was little, his parents were opposed of letting the kids have much sweets, but they would allow them to have Fruit Roll Ups.  So when they went shopping at the grocery store, he would ask over and over for the snack. He'd tugged on his mom's clothes, and he would run to the produce aisle and grab it, and ask again.  Sometimes he'd sneak it into the shopping cart, or "if you're really smart you sneak it onto the conveyor belt as everything is being scanned".  

That's what kids do when they earnestly want something.  It seems like nothing can swayed them otherwise.  So when we're praying, and we're seeking God, don't give up!  Keep on asking!  Be earnest in your prayers!  It takes effort, not only to pray, but to live by our prayers.  By showing we're putting in the work to have good standing, and show how much we love Jehovah.  In the end, our efforts will be rewarded.
Thank you.

Sent from my Infinix X572 using Tapatalk

We had a wonderful illustration for why Jehovah did not eliminate Satan and Adam and Eve the day they sinned. Two men owned race horses.  Bob saiys 'my horse is faster than your horse.' Jim says, 'my horse is faster than your horse.' They exchanged arguments about the horses for a while Then Jim whipped out a gun and shot Bob's horse, then says, 'my horse is faster than your horse.' But did that prove anything? Of course not. An other good one is, Jehovah placed a tree in a vacant area. The tree represented true religion. Satan cannot touch or alter Jehovah's tree, but he planted a million trees all around Jehovah's tree. That makes it very difficult to find Jehovah's tree, although it it still there, where it always was. If we search for the truth, we will find it.

• 7 months later...

Brother gave a good one in today’s talk:

Some people may remember when a man fired a shot gun at an original Leonardo DaVinci painting.  The museum didn’t simply throw the painting away now that it was ruined.  Instead, the took the time to restore the painting!

Likewise, we all have some form of shrapnel that damages us, many even many damaged spots.  However, Jehovah doesn’t throw us away, but takes the time to put us back together.  

~Van

My favorite illustration is on how prayer works the eegee's that we put on the to measure brain waves measured 0 to 4 while you're sleeping that measures 4 to 6 while you're talking and it measures 50 to 60 when you're in a meditative State such as prayer and which is the same frequency that goes across the universe it left me with a question however what's the difference between the EEG I would put on a witch doctor in the prayer that would be uttered here they would both measure the same pic t260 the illustration that I like is to use the telephone frequency we both use the same whether we're calling India or China is the area code that makes the difference so Jesus since all our prayers are offered in his name is actually serves as the area code that takes up here where we wanted to go

1 hour ago, Yentle said:

My favorite illustration is on how prayer works the eegee's that we put on the to measure brain waves measured 0 to 4 while you're sleeping that measures 4 to 6 while you're talking and it measures 50 to 60 when you're in a meditative State such as prayer and which is the same frequency that goes across the universe

Hi Sister Ginger,

Can you explain this part in bold?

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

This is just explaining the frequency when you're in different states I retired from the trauma center where we used a lot of the eegee's and had a lot of discussions with the neurologist the illustration is similar to a telephone will use the same frequency to get there but you use a different area code I'm sorry I brought the rest of my explanation on my quote was would have explained it but I don't do stuff very well since my stroke I'm sorry I hope you've enjoyed it anyway

Something to ponder on Ginger ... we all have knowledge or skills in areas others don't and vice versa. I too had a stroke some years ago, I find it quite difficult to process new information and/or explain new things to other people so I get you. I'm going to ponder on what you said and do some research. Thank you.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have two Illustrations I'd love to share ... one to do with the FDS and the other to do with trials and tribulations.

One: When listening to all the videos and transcripts of the ARC Hearing (details on that is in another thread) - I listened to Brother Jackson's testimony, and one of the questions he was asked was "Are the FDS inspired?" and he went on to describe the FDS as "Guardians of Scripture" - which is someone who preserves scriptural truth and integrity.

So now, when people, or new ones ask exactly how the FDS function - I use the following illustration:

That of a Michelin Star Chef (Jehovah of course) and his Soux Chef (Jesus) who have provided people with the 'perfect' menu - but in order to supply all the restaurants it needs to be distributed accurately or as accurately as the chefs under the care of the Soux Chef can. So the chefs have been charged with replicating the menu in a manner that portrays the original menu as accurately as they can. They won't replace butter with margarine, or a light cream for a full cream, or processed meat with grass fed meat. Etc etc. It's about maintaining integrity to the original menu.  Does that make sense?

As these chefs were learning in the beginning some cooking mistakes were made - but under the guidance of the Soux Chef their skills improved and continue to improve.

The other illustration has to do with attitude or submission maybe ... I've learnt it through my own trials and I love love love the result of this illustration.

We all have trials and tribulations, and if we don't now, we will - in fact the scripture says that we will enter the new system through many trials. So it's about how we get through those trials.

The Japanese have an interesting craft.

It's below in the pictures - so if we subject ourselves to Jehovah and his processes, his glue is unlike any other - it's GOLD - we will still be cracked ... but in his eyes and those of our brothers and sisters we become more valuable - and we shine in a way we didn't prior to our trials. So my dear brothers and sisters - always submit to the processes from Jehovah or those who represent him - and he WILL put your heart back together - with gold. Doesn't matter what type of vessel we are. - Much Love - Mandi.

kintsukuroi.jpg

download (2).jpg

images (4).jpg

images (2).jpg

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have two faves, too. ^_^

When you have a dented bread pan, 

every loaf that gets baked in that pan

will come out of the oven with that dent in it.

Mankind's mold, Adam and Eve,

were flawed by sin and death.

Every human descendant of theirs

inherits that sin and death from them.

Meddling in politics is like rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic.

No matter what furniture/politician/party is placed where,

the ship/septic system of things is going down.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I have used this one before:

Getting involved in this system is like applying for a job/career at a place that has a "Going Out Of Business" sign on the door

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~